From FreeNAS 11.3 to TrueNAS Core 12 - Upgrade Stories

NasKar

Guru
I'm trying to test the upgrade process and came across an issue.
1) After spinning up a VM of FN 11.3-RELEASE-p9 and installing wordpress with 11.3-RELEASE.
2) Upgrade FN from the GUI to 12.2
3) Fetch 12.2-RELEASE
4) iocage upgrade -r 12.2-RELEASE wordpress
5) I get this error after executing iocage snaplist wordpress

Code:
root@freenas[~]# iocage snaplist wordpress               
+------+---------+-------+------+
| NAME | CREATED | RSIZE | USED |
+======+=========+=======+======+
+------+---------+-------+------+
root@freenas[~]# iocage upgrade -r 12.2-RELEASE wordpress

wordpress successfully upgraded from 11.3-RELEASE-p14 to 12.2-RELEASE-p1!
Please reboot the jail and inspect.
Remove the snapshot: ioc_upgrade_2020-12-06 if everything is OK

root@freenas[~]# iocage list   
+-----+-----------+-------+--------------+---------------+
| JID |   NAME    | STATE |   RELEASE    |      IP4      |
+=====+===========+=======+==============+===============+
| 1   | wordpress | up    | 12.2-RELEASE | 192.168.5.220 |
+-----+-----------+-------+--------------+---------------+
root@freenas[~]# iocage snaplist wordpress               
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/iocage", line 10, in <module>
    sys.exit(cli())
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/click/core.py", line 764, in __call__
    return self.main(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/click/core.py", line 717, in main
    rv = self.invoke(ctx)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/click/core.py", line 1137, in invoke
    return _process_result(sub_ctx.command.invoke(sub_ctx))
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/click/core.py", line 956, in invoke
    return ctx.invoke(self.callback, **ctx.params)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/click/core.py", line 555, in invoke
    return callback(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/iocage_cli/snaplist.py", line 43, in cli
    snap_list = ioc.IOCage(jail=jail).snap_list(_long, _sort)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/iocage_lib/iocage.py", line 1668, in snap_list
    creation = snap.properties["creation"]
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/iocage_lib/resource.py", line 23, in properties
    self._properties = iocage_cache.datasets[self.resource_name]
KeyError: 'v1/iocage/jails/wordpress@ioc_upgrade_2020-12-06'

Alecmascot

Guru

hescominsoon

Patron
Till your power cuts out and it fry's its database ;)
that was an issue on the cc gen1..i have not had that kind of issue on a vm or direct hardware...especially when properly backed up with some kind of ups. The ccg2 has a built in battery and if it looses power it automatically does a graceful shutdown. It's something that easily avoidable by following basic best practices for your network infrastructure.

hescominsoon

Patron
So, I've just updated to TrueNAS Core 12 (stable) and everything seems to be working ok, except for the Web UI. My Plex and qBittorrent plugins are working as expected. I can access Plex from outside the network and qBittorrent is uploading files as it should. But when I try to log into the Web UI, I get this message , either via IP or domain name. I've tried to disconnect and reconnect ethernet cable and also shutting down the system, but without success. I also tried Incognito Mode and more than one device. I can't connect it to a monitor for now to check the after-boot config. My system was configured with a static IP and was working fine just before the upgrade. Does anyone have any idea what may be going on?

Thanks in advance!
make sure to clear your browser cache(incognito isn't perfect about that). if you are still having issues hit the ssh shell as root and typing service middlewared restart and pressing enter. see if that helps things along.

McCookieM

Cadet
I'm using an HP Microserver Gen8 "cube" and have been using FreeNAS with no problems since version 9.x - upgrades also no issues. Just a pain with the wardens to iocage and now keeping iocage jails up to date.

Anyway, just bit the bullet and upgraded from 11.3-U3 to TrueNAS 12.0-release. A quick run-through of the key parts for me and I found that SMB shares are fine (I noticed there are some issues there so checked that first), but when I try and access either Plugins or Jails section, I get this error :

[ENOENT] No zpools found! Please create one before using iocage.

I tried adding the zpool from the Jails cog, but it gives me another error :
[EFAULT] Failed to activate [poolname]: ZFS pool "[poolname]" root dataset is locked
(I've removed my pool name from the error, but the only one I could choose was my root pool).

From a shell, obviously "iocage list" also tells me create a pool....

I saved my debug log at this point and then did some research - I noticed no mention of my particular error, but there are some recommending upgrading the pool, but as it's a one-way street I reverted back to FreeNAS 11.3-U3 to check a few things.

Firstly, I upgraded to FreeNAS 11.3-U5 then I upgraded the pool at this point (all was working before and after the upgrade).

Then I upgraded to TrueNAS 12.0-release again, but it's the same problem.

Do I have to revert again and do something with my pool prior to upgrading to get this working?
While writing this I realised I didn't check which pool was used for my jails - I think it was within a dataset (iocage) of the root pool (wherever it is, it'll have been the default location). I may have to revert just to find out (sigh).

iposner

Explorer
Now I have another (minor) issue - no graph lines are appearing on all of the Reports graphs. The legend is there. Just no lines.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer

Redcoat

MVP
Now I have another (minor) issue - no graph lines are appearing on all of the Reports graphs. The legend is there. Just no lines.
Fixed in U1.

McCookieM

Cadet
Reading through the documentation for TrueNAS, Jails. It specifies that :
  • iocage automatically uses the first pool that is not a root pool for the TrueNAS system.
I only have one pool, the root pool.

I believe this is my issue. I'm going to have to revert back to FreeNAS 11.3-U5, create a new pool, migrate my jails across to new pool and test everything prior to upgrading to TrueNAS. :frown:

My concerns are that if TrueNAS locks the root pool (couldn't see this anywhere in the GUI, but it appears to be the case), then what else will have problems residing inside the root pool once it's locked......

McCookieM

Cadet
.... which I can't do as all my drives are in use in that single pool.
Am I getting mixed up a bit with the terminologies here? My setup is one pool utilising all physical disks. So, therefore, it can only be the "root" pool, right?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
"root pool" in that message probably refers to iocage's active jail pool. There can only be one pool with jails at any given time with iocage.

Here's a JIRA issue that seems to apply to your problem:

So iocage won't activate a locked pool. Could anyone explain what that is? I've never heard of a "locked" ZFS pool and I have been "doing ZFS" for more than a decade. Search engine wan't helpful either.

Thanks!
Patrick

McCookieM

Cadet
"root pool" in that message probably refers to iocage's active jail pool. There can only be one pool with jails at any given time with iocage.

Here's a JIRA issue that seems to apply to your problem:

So iocage won't activate a locked pool. Could anyone explain what that is? I've never heard of a "locked" ZFS pool and I have been "doing ZFS" for more than a decade. Search engine wan't helpful either.

Thanks!
Patrick

Thanks again Patrick.
I'm going to revert for now, but I'll keep an eye out and if I find the solution I'll post I back here.

trentk10

Explorer
Upgraded to TrueNAS 12.0 from FreeNAS 11.3 U5.

Everything seems to be working properly. Have not upgraded pools yet though just in case.

Upgrade went pretty quick and smooth on my system.

Thanks for all the hard work put into this upgrade !!!

c77dk

Patron
Upgraded to TrueNAS 12.0 from FreeNAS 11.3 U5.

Later today/tomorrow -U1 is scheduled to be released - with a lot of bugfixes.

c77dk

Patron
Later today/tomorrow -U1 is scheduled to be released - with a lot of bugfixes.
An now it's time to let the upgrade fun to -U1 begin on the test servers :smile:

albertredneck

Dabbler
Hello, I've upgraded the syncthing jail:

Code:
iocage upgrade syncthing -r 12.1-RELEASE

And after that syncthing works (it successfully connects with other syncthing clients) but the GUI doesn't. I've tried everything:

http://syncthing/syncthing <- this used to work

But nothing works. The IP is the valid one. In the syncthing.log file there are no errors, and instead I can see this:

Code:
[DXH65] 17:44:52 INFO: Access the GUI via the following URL: http://127.0.0.1:8384/

Any idea?

Edit: I've found the cause.

Code:
root@syncthing:/var/log/nginx # service nginx start
Performing sanity check on nginx configuration:
ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libssl.so.8" not found, required by "nginx"
Starting nginx.
ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libssl.so.8" not found, required by "nginx"
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/nginx: WARNING: failed to start nginx

So the upgrade process seems to be missing stuff. I've finally fixed it running a regular Update in the TrueNAS UI.

Last edited:

NasKar

Guru
I have a lot of jails to upgrade which would take a long time to upgrade manually. To automate the process I wrote a script.
1) It will fetch the release matching the current truenas version.
2) Then it will upgrade each jail with a status of 'up' to that version.
3) If your jail is 'down' it will give an error msg and continue to the next jail in your system.
4) After you change the down jails to a status of up you can re run the script.
5) It will skip the jails that have already been upgraded and not fetch the current release if it has already done so.

I've tested it on a VM with Truenas 12.2 U1 upgrading an 11.3 wordpress jail. And it works.

Last edited:

Whe3zy

Dabbler
I hope this is the correct thread for me to reach out and ask for assistance. Ive watched many youtube videos in an attempt to get my SMB functioning again upon upgrading a working SMB system in 11.3 to a non working SMB system in 12.0. I figured screen shots would be the best way for me to show my set up in hopes that someone can see something out of place or incorrect in my set up.

System info: TrueNAS-12.0-RELEASE (previously upgraded from FreeNAS 11.3)
Storage Pool:
1.png

Accounts/Users:
Username: test
Password:1234567

2.png
3.png

Accounts/Groups:
Group Name: test
4.png

Sharing/ Samba:
5.png

Create an ACL:

6.png

Settings with ACL:

7.png
8.png

9.png

Operating System file manager: Testing out smb:\\192.168.2.102\ for the added Documents share folder.

10.png

The file browser see the shared SMB pools, but when I try to access folders and files inside with the user I created…...I get this…..It loops and does not let me into the share.

Whe3zy

Dabbler
11.png

When I view the Documents folder properties It wont let me mod any ownership to subfolders
12.png