FreeNAS not detecting SATA drive???

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Also, I lied, looked in the BIOS of the motherboard again and noticed the RAID option. It literally has an option for IDE, RAID, and AHCI.
AHCI is the one you should select.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Okay so that's basically all I needed to know. SO basically my issue was that since it had data on it already that's why it didn't show up. I didn't know that. I thought I read somewhere in a forum (can't remember where) that it was fine if it had data on it already but I guess that's not the case.
I suggest that you might want to use the older version of FreeNAS because there have been quite a few bugs with the latest release. You can download the previous version here:
https://download.freenas.org/11/latest/x64/

Then you can follow this guide for setting it up:

Uncle Fester's Basic FreeNAS Configuration Guide
https://www.familybrown.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=fester:intro

Chesse

Explorer
AHCI is the one you should select.
It's already on AHCI. But I already know what the issue is now, I had data and a filesystem (like you said) on the drive I wanted it to detect. I put in a brand new drive and it detected it, so everything should work fine if I nuke the old drives and reinstall FNAS, and while I am at it, I will reinstall FNAS on a flash drive properly.

kdragon75

Wizard
The GPU is very low wattage and produces very little heat, I could touch it and it feels cold to the touch.

Also, I lied, looked in the BIOS of the motherboard again and noticed the RAID option. It literally has an option for IDE, RAID, and AHCI. It's on default which isn't RAID. Sooo RAID was never enabled in the first place. I've never messed with it. The BIOS on that motherboard is basically completely all default except boot priorities.
I don't understand why you're arguing that the video card should be kept... There are solid logical fact based reasons to remove it but your want to keep it because its otherwise unused?

Were you able to get your disks in working order?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
The GPU is very low wattage and produces very little heat, I could touch it and it feels cold to the touch.
If you don't have another use for it, sell it on eBay (or something) but keeping it is just a bad idea.

Chesse

Explorer
I don't understand why you're arguing that the video card should be kept... There are solid logical fact based reasons to remove it but your want to keep it because its otherwise unused?

Were you able to get your disks in working order?
I got it all working. I just nuked the drives and it worked fine. And I still don't see how it will cause any issues. Like I said, low wattage, very little heat.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Low vs none at all and for something that is not necessary at all.

Chesse

Explorer
Okay so I just got it all running again, buuut, I can't seem to figure out how to get a drive mapped to 'Computer'. I've tried a bunch of different tutorials and I follow them step by step (or at least try to) and either doing the same steps leads to different results, or the options that show up on their screen are different from mine. I tried making a share and everything with groups and users, but when I try to map the drive to the share name or path, Windows cannot find it. It's starting to be really frustrating that I can't find any good tutorials that work.

Plus another thing that bothers me is that these tutorials seem to guide you through the process expecting you to know what each function does and what it's for when really you have no clue and you're just blindly doing what a video is showing you, like trying to drive a car with a blindfold on just listening to what the passengers tell you.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Okay so I just got it all running again, buuut, I can't seem to figure out how to get a drive mapped to 'Computer'. I've tried a bunch of different tutorials and I follow them step by step (or at least try to) and either doing the same steps leads to different results, or the options that show up on their screen are different from mine. I tried making a share and everything with groups and users, but when I try to map the drive to the share name or path, Windows cannot find it. It's starting to be really frustrating that I can't find any good tutorials that work.
What version of Windows?
Plus another thing that bothers me is that these tutorials seem to guide you through the process expecting you to know what each function does and what it's for when really you have no clue and you're just blindly doing what a video is showing you, like trying to drive a car with a blindfold on just listening to what the passengers tell you.
You might start reading some of the documentation. No video is going to go into detail enough to teach you every option and what it means.

Chesse

Explorer
What version of Windows?

You might start reading some of the documentation. No video is going to go into detail enough to teach you every option and what it means.
Windows 10. And the documentation doesn't really tell me much, I'm a visual learner and can't learn by reading for the life or death of me. Is there a certain way I can figure out how to get my drive mapped?

Chesse

Explorer
Nevermind. I ended up being able to get it to show up. So now everything is working and I can read and write files to it.