FreeNAS 8.2 not detecting a drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLaSalvia4

Cadet
Hey guys, I'm new to the FreeNAS world. I recently installed FreeNAS 8.2 on my 8GB flash drive and everything installed fine. I got into the web interface to configure the drives but ran into a problem, I have 2 hard drives in my system, a WD Blue 320GB and a Seagate 250GB. The WD is the one that is not detected by FreeNAS, I know the drive is good because it is detected in the BIOS and by an Ubuntu Live CD. I'm not really sure what I can do to try and fix this, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and if you need any more info from me, I'll do my best to provide it.

Specs:
GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P Mobo
AMD Phenom II X4 940 CPU
8GB G.SKILL DDR2 1066 RAM
WD Blue 320GB HDD
Seagate 250GB HDD

Yell

Explorer
Please get the output of (use web shell or active ssh service and use an ssh client)

Code:
dmesg | grep -e ada 

Code:
ls /dev/

Code:
camcontrol devlist

-- just in in case --
Code:
zpool status

Code:
gstripe status

* Check is the drive is listed under WebGUI -> Storage -> View Disks
* Are the drives connected to the mainboards native sata ports? or some crippled marvel controller? (switch the sata ports of the 2 disks)
* Please use code tags for each output!

FLaSalvia4

Cadet
Please get the output of (use web shell or active ssh service and use an ssh client)

Code:
dmesg | grep -e ada 

Code:
ls /dev/

Code:
camcontrol devlist

-- just in in case --
Code:
zpool status

Code:
gstripe status

* Check is the drive is listed under WebGUI -> Storage -> View Disks
* Are the drives connected to the mainboards native sata ports? or some crippled marvel controller? (switch the sata ports of the 2 disks)
* Please use code tags for each output!

Code:
[root@freenas ~]# dmesg | grep -e ada                                           
ada0 at ahcich2 bus 0 scbus3 target 0 lun 0                                     
ada0: <ST3250310AS 3.AAC> ATA-7 SATA 2.x device                                 
ada0: 300.000MB/s transfers (SATA 2.x, cd0 at ata0 bus 0 scbus7 target 0 lun 0  
ada0: Command Queueing enabled                                                  
ada0: 238475MB (488397168 512 byte sectors: 16H 63S/T 16383C)

Code:
[root@freenas ~]# ls /dev/                                                      
acpi            da0s3           log             ttyu0           ufs             
ada0            da0s4           md0             ttyu0.init      ufsid           
ada0p2          devctl          md1             ttyu0.lock      ugen0.1         
atkbd0          devstat         md2             ttyv0           ugen1.1         
audit           fd              mdctl           ttyv1           ugen2.1         
bpf             fido            mem             ttyv2           ugen3.1         
bpf0            fw0             nfslock         ttyv3           ugen4.1         
cd0             fw0.0           null            ttyv4           ugen5.1         
console         fwmem0          pass0           ttyv5           ugen5.2         
consolectl      fwmem0.0        pass1           ttyv6           ugen6.1         
crypto          geom.ctl        pass2           ttyv7           urandom         
ctty            ggctl           pci             ttyv8           usb             
cuau0           gptid           ptmx            ttyv9           usbctl          
cuau0.init      io              pts             ttyva           xpt0            
cuau0.lock      kbd0            random          ttyvb           zero            
da0             kbd1            stderr          ttyvc           zfs             
da0s1           kbdmux0         stdin           ttyvd                           
da0s1a          klog            stdout          ttyve                           
da0s2           kmem            sysmouse        ttyvf

Code:
[root@freenas ~]# camcontrol devlist                                            
<ST3250310AS 3.AAC>                at scbus3 target 0 lun 0 (pass0,ada0)        
<TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S222A SB01>    at scbus7 target 0 lun 0 (pass1,cd0)         
<PNY USB 2.0 FD 8192>              at scbus10 target 0 lun 0 (pass2,da0)

Code:
[root@freenas ~]# zpool status                                                  
  pool: GB250                                                                   
 state: ONLINE                                                                  
 scrub: none requested                                                          
config:                                                                         

NAME                                          STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        GB250                                         ONLINE       0     0     0
          gptid/0b98cab2-238d-11e2-88ce-00241d78eddc  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

gstripe status came up with nothing.

The drive is not listed under view disks, drives are connected to the mainboard SATA ports. I'll try switching them soon.

Yell

Explorer
Hmm dosent look good, your Freenas "really" doesn't know the drive.

Things to check:
- Switch cables
- check that you didn't configured a Bios Software Raid
- just in case make sure that the WD is also configured with AHCI (like the seagate)
- Prepare a FreeBSD 8.3 USB Stick (choose memstick media and after booting choose Live CD Mode) try "dmesg | grep -e ada" and look if the second drive is listed

FLaSalvia4

Cadet
Hmm dosent look good, your Freenas "really" doesn't know the drive.

Things to check:
- Switch cables
- check that you didn't configured a Bios Software Raid
- just in case make sure that the WD is also configured with AHCI (like the seagate)
- Prepare a FreeBSD 8.3 USB Stick (choose memstick media and after booting choose Live CD Mode) try "dmesg | grep -e ada" and look if the second drive is listed

I don't know why I didn't try switching cables/ports before coming here. I switched the cable and SATA port and now it works fine. Thank you for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.