FreeNAS not detecting my hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

uberwebguru

Explorer
I just installed fresh FreeNAS 8.3.1 and the hard drive is not detected. I only have 1 hard drive 250GB and i have all appropriate settings....AHCI mode but still FreeNAS cannot detect the hard drive.

What do i do now?

Thanks.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
What did you install FreeNAS on? USB? Or on the drive?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

uberwebguru

Explorer
What did you install FreeNAS on? USB? Or on the drive?

I installed the FreeNAS software on a DVD and then installed it on the computer..so the software is installed on the hard drive because i mean no other device to hold data.

I only have 1 hard drive 250GB...so not sure because i asked if i can use FreeNAS with 1 hard drive and the response i got was YES..so is there something going on here?

gpsguy

Had you read the manual a week ago, when you asked about installing FreeNAS on a single drive machine, you'd know that it's recommended that you install it on a 4 Gb flash drive.

The OS needs to reside on a separate device. As long as you keep backups of your configuration file, should the flash drive fail - just reinstall the OS and restore the configuration file.

uberwebguru

Explorer
Had you read the manual a week ago, when you asked about installing FreeNAS on a single drive machine, you'd know that it's recommended that you install it on a 4 Gb flash drive.

The OS needs to reside on a separate device. As long as you keep backups of your configuration file, should the flash drive fail - just reinstall the OS and restore the configuration file.
Damn..ok got it..then i guess i need 2 hard drives then..cos i mean at the end of the day one needs 2 data drives...so saying 1 hard drive is very misleading...anyways thanks

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
its not misleading at all

a usb thumbdrive is not a hard drive. you were asked to read the manual and get your info (it IS covered in the documentation), and you didnt. do you have an issue with reading comprehension?

gpsguy

You don't need (or want) a hard disk for the OS. It's only ~2Gb's, so use a 4Gb flash drive. The remaining space, outside the needs for the OS, isn't usable.

If you want redundancy for your data, then, at the very minimum, I'd have a pair of mirrored hard disks.

i guess i need 2 hard drives then

uberwebguru

Explorer
its not misleading at all

a usb thumbdrive is not a hard drive. you were asked to read the manual and get your info (it IS covered in the documentation), and you didnt. do you have an issue with reading comprehension?
I came to the forum for help..its like someone asking for help on a question..you you telling them to go and take a class for it or go read the book...when has helping others become so much of a pain for some people?

If you knew what it was you can tell me....thats what we are all here for..to get help. That aside.

#####
For someone willing to help here.
#####

I have a DVD with 4.7GB and i have the iso image on the DVD...so can i run FreeNAS on this DVD so i can use the hard drive on the computer?
Thanks.

gpsguy

See section 1.4.3 of the manual that explains why you shouldn't install the OS on a hard disk. Then read section 2, for instructions on installing it to a flash drive. You can either install it from CD-Rom or burn an image file.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I came to the forum for help..its like someone asking for help on a question..you you telling them to go and take a class for it or go read the book...when has helping others become so much of a pain for some people?

If you knew what it was you can tell me....thats what we are all here for..to get help. That aside.

#####
For someone willing to help here.
#####

I have a DVD with 4.7GB and i have the iso image on the DVD...so can i run FreeNAS on this DVD so i can use the hard drive on the computer?
Thanks.

Here is the problem with your assessment:

You had already created a thread asking about installing on a single disk system. You were told to read the manual, and even hinted at what section it would be in.....you refused to heed that help, so you create ANOTHER thread, after not reading the manual (because all of this is explained in the documentation), and wonder why it didnt work as you expected it to.

READ THE DOCUMENTATION!!!!

Part of the rules/guidelines of the forum dictate that you SEARCH and READ the current documentation that has already been provided. You have failed to do either of those things and yet you think that you should be an exception to the rules....

You are wearing me thin today. You need to take a few minutes and read about what it is you are doing. The documentation will cover 99% of the questions you have, and you have been told at least a couple of times now to go read it. It is not for OUR amusement, but for your own good.

If you cannot understand that, then you have some serious issues.

uberwebguru

Explorer
See section 1.4.3 of the manual that explains why you shouldn't install the OS on a hard disk. Then read section 2, for instructions on installing it to a flash drive. You can either install it from CD-Rom or burn an image file.
If you cannot answer my question..you might as well not answer them...i am asking for a question..its not as if the answer is longer than a few words...i just need to know if i can have ths iso image on a DVD drive and have FreeNAS on the DVD drive..i do not want to use USB drive and i do not want to use anything else...what i can use is a DVD drive..it has space on it so i believe if USB drive can work..it should work too...if this possible is all i ask becuase quoting the US constitution to me and telling where to see "right to own arms"

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
If you cannot answer my question..you might as well not answer them...i am asking for a question..its not as if the answer is longer than a few words...i just need to know if i can have ths iso image on a DVD drive and have FreeNAS on the DVD drive..i do not want to use USB drive and i do not want to use anything else...what i can use is a DVD drive..it has space on it so i believe if USB drive can work..it should work too...if this possible is all i ask becuase quoting the US constitution to me and telling where to see "right to own arms"

NO!

uberwebguru

Explorer
Here is the problem with your assessment:

You had already created a thread asking about installing on a single disk system. You were told to read the manual, and even hinted at what section it would be in.....you refused to heed that help, so you create ANOTHER thread, after not reading the manual (because all of this is explained in the documentation), and wonder why it didnt work as you expected it to.

READ THE DOCUMENTATION!!!!

Part of the rules/guidelines of the forum dictate that you SEARCH and READ the current documentation that has already been provided. You have failed to do either of those things and yet you think that you should be an exception to the rules....

You are wearing me thin today. You need to take a few minutes and read about what it is you are doing. The documentation will cover 99% of the questions you have, and you have been told at least a couple of times now to go read it. It is not for OUR amusement, but for your own good.

If you cannot understand that, then you have some serious issues.
you don't have to reply me is all you tell me is read documentation...as simple as that...if no one replies me..it seriously not the end of the world...if you have to talk about me reading something in the manual..you might as well keep your opinion to yourself.
If i was able to see what i need easily i won't ask...but i wont go far on that..simple thing is you dont have to reply..and i know this sounds rude especially to nicer people who actually try to help others....but i am just tired of this rubish seriously...and i just have to let out..sorry to whoever this offends

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I can see you are going to be a blast around here.

Don't ask for help and snub the help you do get. We are all volunteers here. The documentation is there to help you. If you refuse to read it, then you will not last long in these forums.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
This is getting a little tiring. You sent private messages to me. You are not listening to people on the forum. Please take the advice that you were being given and read the documentation.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Guess what guys? I already had this guy on ignore.. he clearly wants to be spoon fed everything... He and I already discussed this.. he doesn't want to learn, he wants answers given on commands.

http://forums.freenas.org/threads/can-i-install-freenas-on-single-disk-pc.13943/

http://forums.freenas.org/threads/expand-zfs-drive-single-disk-no-raid.13086/#post-66211

/facepalm

So how many people have you pissed off now Mr. Uberwebguru? Don't bother answering.. I can't read your answer because you are already ignored...

uberwebguru

Explorer
This is getting a little tiring. You sent private messages to me. You are not listening to people on the forum. Please take the advice that you were being given and read the documentation.
Jgreco..u are not like these other guys..trust me...whatever thing i said is just for ppl with such mentality...like i said(not to you)...if you can't answer a question then don't answer it..its that simple but they never learn..they just love to reply with no answer but to them they have helped...so jgreco please all this is not directed to you

As for the forum thing...i will try my luck somewhere else..looks like its hard finding ppl like jgreco here...i have used several forums before and this is the worst forum to get help so far in my experience...so i will just not come here again...so to all you guys that like to point to the manual and documentation to answer a 2 letter answer..and thinking you are the most helpful ppl in the world...well thanks i will not be here again..never...to jgreco...thanks for all your help

PEACE!

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Don't let the door hit ya.

You were expecting someone to hold your hand and let them do all the legwork for you? That's insane.

Don't worry, you won't be missed.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
dilbert_fist_of_death_1024x768.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.