FreeNAS development - why are the processes still shaky?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bgadd

Quick update: we are going to review the Update Train ticket tomorrow in a meeting. We will review the suggested feedback and see if it is something that we will be able to implement before 11.2 (proper) is released. As Kmoore mentioned, you are able to track this ticket here.

NetSoerfer

Explorer
Quick update: we are going to review the Update Train ticket tomorrow in a meeting. We will review the suggested feedback and see if it is something that we will be able to implement before 11.2 (proper) is released. As Kmoore mentioned, you are able to track this ticket here.
Thank you for this level of transparency. This is what builds trust with the community!

The reason those names have been picked is so that beta and RC user can stay on that train and upgrade right to release. (And subsequent -Ux releases)
While I understand the reasoning behind the naming, I strongly disagree. This favours beta testers (emphasis testers!) over production users, creating confusion with the latter to make it easier for the former. Developers tend to err on the side of overcomplicating things - I know, I work professionally in this exact area.

Keep it simple, especially for the less technical users. Any updates shown in the regular UI should be stable.

Hide all things unstable until the user has explicitly un-hidden them, and agreed to face instabilities. And frankly, if you can't go back to -RELEASE once you've gone -BETA, so be it. In my experience most solutions don't allow you to do this, and for good reason: it's very hard to anticipate what may have been broken during the beta test. -RELEASE to -BETA yes, but don't insist on the other way round. FreeNAS makes it easy enough to export config and import it into a fresh -RELEASE install.

Last edited:

par

Explorer
Are we getting BETA2 today or is it going to get pushed like it did yesterday?

B

Bgadd

We talked about the Release Train discussion yesterday in a meeting and we came to two decisions.

(short term fix)
1. For 11.2 we will investigate what can be done this late in the development cycle. The plan is to expose the description of trains in 11.2 (new UI).

(long term solution)
2. For 11.3 we will investigate and determine the best approach to address the concerns mentioned in this ticket and the ones mentioned in previous posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.