FreeNAS 10-BETA is Now Available!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnus33

Patron
Freenas old ui was frankly kind of a mess.

It wasn't very intuitive in most cases with tabs of the same name going along both the side and bottom.
For experienced users this wasn't a issue but it really did need a overhaul.

The new Ui is still a work in-progress though and it just now becoming a beta so take everything with a grain of salt its going to change in some cases.

I do like that everything in one tab now although iam not sure about the colors lol.

Guess we do tend to get stuck in ours ways when it comes to a interface we get used to and resist major change.

As for the AMD vm issue it occurs to me its actually a bigger problem then i first thought.
In some areas its hard to get certain types of hardware or just too expensive so amd is more popular by default.
Well intel big for most of us there are going to be plenty of areas where this is not the case.

amiskell

Patron
1. I link to think I'm fairly flexible and open to change - as evidenced by the fact that I already installed the beta - but I HATE the new interface. I get that it is easier to support and mobile-friendly. Still, ugh. The FreeNAS interface is going to drive me nuts. I'm sure this puts me in the minority. (It has been months since pfSense 'upgraded' their web interface in a similar fashion and I still haven't gotten used to it.)

2. The beta installed just fine and the core functions seem to work. Many thanks!

3. It would be nice if the default was https and certificates were automatically generated. But I seem to remember that being the case with earlier versions, too.

Cheers,
Matt

Did you figure out how to install an SSL certificate with the new UI? I see options to select it, but no options to install one.

J

jkh

As for the AMD vm issue it occurs to me its actually a bigger problem then i first thought.
In some areas its hard to get certain types of hardware or just too expensive so amd is more popular by default.
Well intel big for most of us there are going to be plenty of areas where this is not the case.
Well, FreeNAS is still usable as a NAS on such platforms. It also turns out that AMD *is* supported in Bhyve, you just need the right AMD processor.

See https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=revision&revision=276403

Magnus33

Patron
Yup thankfully there nothing wrong with older versions. :)

Have to do a read on that tom when my ms isn't turning my short term memory into spaghetti strainer.

Magnus33

Patron
Ok did a quick glance after a huge cup of caffeine.

Seems the issues not with amd/Bhyve but with freenas 10 since the Amd FX-8150 in my test system with 8 threads running on 8 separate integer cores loves virtualization.

Man i hate days when my brain flashes out of order i should have caught this right away.

Last edited:

Sir_Slappy

Dabbler
For the life of me I am unable to get FreeNAS 10 Beta to install on my machine and am at a loss of what to try next. The installation keeps stalling at "active set on da0". I have tried the following:

1. Tried installing to both a 120gb San Disk SSD and a 16gb San Disk Cruzer Ultra Fit
2. Downloaded the 10.BETA iso twice
3. Used both Rufus and Win32 Disk Imager to create the boot disk
4. Ensured I was booting not from UEFI
5. Tried installing directly through IPMI using virtual storage

Am I missing something? Not sure how to proceed. I let it sit for about 30 minutes at "active set on da0" twice now and it just never proceeds.

Attachments

• IMG_0151.jpg
    IMG_0151.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 402

Sir_Slappy

Dabbler
Internal USB 3 header on motherboard. Will try one of the back ones instead next

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about

Magnus33

Patron
Yes and no.

Usb 3 most often requires drivers to be loaded before functioning correctly on most motherboards so be sure to use usb 2.

Sir_Slappy

Dabbler
Well no luck yet. I even tried installing onto a usb 2 thumb drive from another usb 2 boot drive (both in usb 2 ports on the back of the mobo) and still have the issue with the installation hanging. I literally had 9.10.1 installed and working just fine about an hour before this so i do not think the board is at fault.

J

jkh

For the life of me I am unable to get FreeNAS 10 Beta to install on my machine and am at a loss of what to try next. The installation keeps stalling at "active set on da0"..
Please file a ticket - someone will attempt to diagnose! Thanks

tfast500

Explorer
I personally love the new interface. Just saying!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

amiskell

Patron
For the life of me I am unable to get FreeNAS 10 Beta to install on my machine and am at a loss of what to try next. The installation keeps stalling at "active set on da0". I have tried the following:

1. Tried installing to both a 120gb San Disk SSD and a 16gb San Disk Cruzer Ultra Fit
2. Downloaded the 10.BETA iso twice
3. Used both Rufus and Win32 Disk Imager to create the boot disk
4. Ensured I was booting not from UEFI
5. Tried installing directly through IPMI using virtual storage

Am I missing something? Not sure how to proceed. I let it sit for about 30 minutes at "active set on da0" twice now and it just never proceeds.

Using IMPI virtual storage it'll take about 30-40 minutes to install, at least it did on mine. It would be helpful if the installer was slightly more verbose to indicate it's actually doing something during the loading phase of the software.

installation keeps stalling at "active set on da0".
sit for about 30 minutes at "active set on da0" twice now and it just never proceeds.

Give it more time. I'm not saying it isn't a bug but it did eventually install for me.

I installed the beta in a XenServer VM. When the installation got to that point, it sat for more than 15 minutes. I could see minor activity in the VM but it really looked like as though it was not progressing. When I got off a quick conference call, it had finished. It may have taken half an hour. I don't know.

I just figured it was VM oddness and ignored the problem. May actually be a problem if you're seeing it, too.

(I was going to copy and paste the VM specs for my beta install here but the new FreeNAS interface doesn't allow me to select text from the 'System Overview' Dashboard panel. SO ANNOYING!)

Cheers,
Matt

Sir_Slappy

Dabbler
Using IMPI virtual storage it'll take about 30-40 minutes to install, at least it did on mine.
Give it more time. I'm not saying it isn't a bug but it did eventually install for me.

Thanks for the insight fella's. I will try again tonight and practice a bit more patience in waiting for it to fully install. Thanks again!

voyager529

Dabbler
Hmmm. I haven't even *seen* an AMD system in at least 10 years, and we certainly don't have any around the office to test on (AMD still makes CPUs?? Huh! Who knew! :D) so if you could tell us what kinds of errors you get, maybe we can at least add some additional checks that print more useful errors when trying to run something that requires VT-x functionality on a system which just doesn't support it. I know that the middleware flags Intel CPUs without VT-x and prints a diagnostic when any VM operation is attempted, which should also be transitive to Docker, but AMD... that's a poser! Thanks.

Shots fired!

On the server side, yes, I agree - Opteron-based servers are few and far between at best.

For us folks at home, AMD makes a lot of financial sense. All Vishera AMD CPUs support ECC RAM, and the vast majority of Asus Socket AM3 motherboards support ECC RAM. Resultantly, one can walk into Microcenter with $250 and get a solid CPU, motherboard, and 16GB of ECC RAM. Only a very select few Core i5 and i7 CPUs support ECC RAM, and figuring out exactly which motherboards support both those particular chip's socket along with ECC RAM requires a significantly greater amount of effort...and cost double the price. Go Xeon, and you need a SuperMicro board, so you're brushing against $1,000 just for CPU/MB/RAM.

All of my FreeNAS builds are AMD builds for this reason, and I for one am happy with their performance.

Anxiously looking forward to the first v10 release that supports upgrades, even if it's an RC...I'm so on that =).

Joey

S

sef

Using IMPI virtual storage it'll take about 30-40 minutes to install, at least it did on mine. It would be helpful if the installer was slightly more verbose to indicate it's actually doing something during the loading phase of the software.
It's sending the output of the various installation commands to tee, so it can log it. stdio causes it to be buffered for a long time.

Control-T will indicate whether it's running or blocked.

The speed of an installation depends on both the speed of the installer media (and if you're using virtual media via BMC it will take a REALLY REALLY LONG TIME), and the speed of the selected media (thumb drives are REALLY SLOW).

FN10 does take quite a bit longer to install than FN9.x as well -- there's a lot more in it.

S

sef

Hmmm. I haven't even *seen* an AMD system in at least 10 years, and we certainly don't have any around the office to test on (AMD still makes CPUs?? Huh! Who knew! :D)
There's one in my cubicle. Has been since I started. You've seen it.

(Of course, it's running 9.10, but perhaps I can get a similarly dumb intel system for 9.10 and repurpose lifeispain for 10.)

Status
Not open for further replies.