FreeNAS 10-BETA is Now Available!

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sef

Ahh, an enemy has infiltrated the ranks... :p
It's a really crappy system. But it does have ECC, and it was my first FreeNAS box. It is not a happy machine, since I do horrible, horrible things to its software fairly often.

Magnus33

Patron
Shots fired!

On the server side, yes, I agree - Opteron-based servers are few and far between at best.

For us folks at home, AMD makes a lot of financial sense. All Vishera AMD CPUs support ECC RAM, and the vast majority of Asus Socket AM3 motherboards support ECC RAM. Resultantly, one can walk into Microcenter with $250 and get a solid CPU, motherboard, and 16GB of ECC RAM. Only a very select few Core i5 and i7 CPUs support ECC RAM, and figuring out exactly which motherboards support both those particular chip's socket along with ECC RAM requires a significantly greater amount of effort...and cost double the price. Go Xeon, and you need a SuperMicro board, so you're brushing against $1,000 just for CPU/MB/RAM.

All of my FreeNAS builds are AMD builds for this reason, and I for one am happy with their performance.

Anxiously looking forward to the first v10 release that supports upgrades, even if it's an RC...I'm so on that =).

Joey

Really all depends in the area you in and what you are used to using.

Kidding aside any amd from the last ten years should have no issues with Bhyve/vm system but FreeNAS got a bug causing it to fail to work properly in this area with amd cpu's.
This is purely a FreeNAS 10 bug since the changes to the system it using for AMD cpu's were done ages ago.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
It can do more than one thing!

indivision

Guru
Thank you. Really looking forward to using this.

A few questions:
  1. Is it anticipated that updates will be made to 10 Beta that will require clean re-installs? Or, is the expectation (I know there are unforeseen possibilities) that 10 Beta will be updateable through to 10 Release?

2. When is 10 Release expected to be ready?

3. Docker sounds like it is a WIP. It's not clear to me how much of a WIP. Can 9.10 plugin equivalents (Plex, Transmission, CouchPotato, Etc.) currently be made functional in 10 Beta?

4. Can a 10 Beta install receive backups/snapshots from a separate 9.10 machine? Vice-versa?

5. Is 10 Beta more strict/demanding on the RAM requirements? I have a low-use machine that has survived with 4GB RAM on 9.10. Wondering if 10 Beta might have more strict checks at install, etc.

indivision

Guru

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I have a low-use machine that has survived with 4GB RAM on 9.10. Wondering if 10 Beta might have more strict checks at install, etc.
You are on borrowed time...

Agreed and thought it was worth mentioning again so others that see this thread don't make this mistake.

indivision

Guru
Agreed and thought it was worth mentioning again so others that see this thread don't make this mistake.

The machine performs non-critical operations. It has done quite well for years now.

Not a mistake.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

indivision

Guru
Right. That's your opinion. And it works great until suddenly it doesn't.

Good luck, hope you have good backups.

If it failed, I agree that I would not be in a position to complain. That's why I have it doing things that can afford to fail. A perfectly valid calculation and use.

In fact, I would argue that this use of old hardware is wiser than letting it sit on a shelf doing nothing of value.

J

jkh

1. Is it anticipated that updates will be made to 10 Beta that will require clean re-installs? Or, is the expectation (I know there are unforeseen possibilities) that 10 Beta will be updateable through to 10 Release?
All updates can be done with the built-in updater. This has been true since before ALPHA2, actually. Just stay on the 10-Nightlies train and it will take you all the way up to RELEASE without needing to reinstall (we already provide database migrations when necessary).
  1. When is 10 Release expected to be ready?
See https://bugs.freenas.org/projects/freenas-10/roadmap for all milestone dates. We are endeavoring to keep this more up to date now.
  1. Docker sounds like it is a WIP. It's not clear to me how much of a WIP. Can 9.10 plugin equivalents (Plex, Transmission, CouchPotato, Etc.) currently be made functional in 10 Beta?
Yes. Plex is already functional - see the demo video I'll be releasing on YouTube next week.
  1. Can a 10 Beta install receive backups/snapshots from a separate 9.10 machine? Vice-versa?
Not at this time using the GUI, anyway. The currently supported replication method in 10 is more complex, doesn't use SSH for actual replication (it has side-channels now) and provides replication statistics from both sides, not just one. Of course, if all you want to do is a manual snapshot, then zfs send / receive it between a 9.x or 10 box (or even some other non-FreeNAS box that supports ZFS) you can, of course, do that any time.
  1. Is 10 Beta more strict/demanding on the RAM requirements? I have a low-use machine that has survived with 4GB RAM on 9.10. Wondering if 10 Beta might have more strict checks at install, etc.
No, it's not more strict and uses about the same amount of system resources as 9.10, but you're definitely already out of headroom with 4GB of RAM and if you start using VMs and/or Docker containers, you're probably going to hit a wall. More features, more footprint!

indivision

Guru
All updates can be done with the built-in updater. This has been true since before ALPHA2, actually. Just stay on the 10-Nightlies train and it will take you all the way up to RELEASE without needing to reinstall (we already provide database migrations when necessary).
  1. When is 10 Release expected to be ready?
See https://bugs.freenas.org/projects/freenas-10/roadmap for all milestone dates. We are endeavoring to keep this more up to date now.
  1. Docker sounds like it is a WIP. It's not clear to me how much of a WIP. Can 9.10 plugin equivalents (Plex, Transmission, CouchPotato, Etc.) currently be made functional in 10 Beta?
Yes. Plex is already functional - see the demo video I'll be releasing on YouTube next week.
  1. Can a 10 Beta install receive backups/snapshots from a separate 9.10 machine? Vice-versa?
Not at this time using the GUI, anyway. The currently supported replication method in 10 is more complex, doesn't use SSH for actual replication (it has side-channels now) and provides replication statistics from both sides, not just one. Of course, if all you want to do is a manual snapshot, then zfs send / receive it between a 9.x or 10 box (or even some other non-FreeNAS box that supports ZFS) you can, of course, do that any time.
  1. Is 10 Beta more strict/demanding on the RAM requirements? I have a low-use machine that has survived with 4GB RAM on 9.10. Wondering if 10 Beta might have more strict checks at install, etc.
No, it's not more strict and uses about the same amount of system resources as 9.10, but you're definitely already out of headroom with 4GB of RAM and if you start using VMs and/or Docker containers, you're probably going to hit a wall. More features, more footprint!

Great. Thank you for the clarifications.

Looking forward to the demo video.

indivision

Guru
Replicating from 9.10 to 10-BETA does work -- that's just using ssh, with a public key.

Thank you. Just has to be set up without GUI, correct?

S

sef

Thank you. Just has to be set up without GUI, correct?
It's set up from the 9.x box. I think I've used both the CLI and the GUI to add the public key for root, but mostly I use the CLI. (GUIs and I tend to get along a lot better if we each pretend the other doesn't exist.)

Can a 10 Beta install receive backups/snapshots from a separate 9.10 machine? Vice-versa?
Not at this time using the GUI, anyway.

The first thing I did was turn on replication between a 9.10 source and a 10.x target. Worked like a champ. Set it up through the GUI. Replicating data is how I run a lot of data through the test machine.

Haven't tried replication in the other direction but if you just want to populate a 10 NAS from 9 data, it works great.

Cheers,
Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.