FreeNAS 10-BETA is Now Available!

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jkh

Hi folks!

Yes, after a rather exhausting BETA release cycle and over 3 months of work involving more than 830 tickets resolved we are very proud and excited to finally ship FreeNAS 10 BETA!

Attached to this post are some fancier Release Notes rather than the usual wall of text we post into the forum. A short video walk-through has been posted on YouTube (see below) which covers some of the basics of what you should expect to see. We would also like to draw your attention to the following points, some of which are also in the "Important Notes" section at the end of the Release Notes which we hope everyone will read!
  1. This is a BETA release. While we don't expect that some of the more mature technologies underlying it, like ZFS or FreeBSD 10.3, will corrupt your data or crash in mysterious ways, there have been a lot of changes to everything from replication to sharing, so at the very least you may encounter significant and confusing differences (with very few "seat belts" to help you) between 9.x and this release. We do not recommend using 10-BETA for production purposes!
  2. Use Google Chrome to talk to 10-BETA! It is the ONLY supported browser at this time, as the release notes clearly state. Any other browser is more or less guaranteed to fail (looking especially at you, Safari!). Cross-browser compatibility is harder than it should be and will be a goal for the BETA2 release.
  3. As it also says in the Release Notes, upgrades from 9.x are not supported at this time. They will be for RELEASE, but not for this BETA. Upgrades are tricky, and we just need more time to work through all the various scenarios before we can promise anything. ;) You should only do fresh installs of 10-BETA for evaluation purposes.
  4. Docker container support is especially rough right now, and will be one of our biggest areas of emphasis in the coming weeks, so please don't expect it to be equivalent to the existing 9.x "plugin" system. Docker will eventually offer access to a far greater ecosystem of canned applications, as well as interoperability with the enormous DevOps community using it, but what we can offer right now is basically only a "technology demonstrator", so please set your expectations accordingly!
  5. Update often (using the built-in updater)! We expect to get a lot of bug reports and to fix a lot of them in the next 24 hours, to say nothing in the days that follow!
All that said, we think the sheer quantity of enhancements and new technologies in 10-BETA have been worth the wait, and we hope you will dedicate at least some of your valuable time to evaluating it and sending us bug reports on the issues you find as we work our way towards the next public release. The FreeNAS team have also been very transparent in working out in the open with our bug tracker and our nightly builds, so those who wish to "follow along" and send us feedback will, we hope, find the process to be enlightening as well as rewarding!

It usually takes a little while for http://freenas.org/download to get updated, so please check out the CDN site directly if you don't see it as an option on the main FreeNAS web page.

We sincerely hope you enjoy playing with this release as much as we enjoyed creating it! :D

The FreeNAS Development Team

Attachments

• FreeNAS_10_Release_Notes_Beta_PDF.pdf
    103.7 KB · Views: 739
Last edited by a moderator:

tfast500

Explorer
Great job FreeNAS team! will be testing this first thing tomorrow!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Camagur

Cadet
I just upgrade from alpha, but username and password is not accepted, dont know how to enter :(

Eniqmatic

Explorer
Just like to thank everyone for their continued efforts towards constantly improving a fantastic system we all know and love!

Eniqmatic

Explorer
Try an erase install. I have no idea why this would occur (cannot reproduce it).
Just a quick question (not sure if this is just me) but I've fresh installed the Beta and cannot login, I get an error saying "response timeout" when entering the password to the GUI? SSH/Cli works fine!

Edit 3: No change from timezone, didn't think it really would be.

Last edited:
J

jkh

Just a quick question (not sure if this is just me) but I've fresh installed the Beta and cannot login, I get an error saying "response timeout" when entering the password to the GUI? SSH/Cli works fine!

Edit 3: No change from timezone, didn't think it really would be.
Wow, no idea - never seen that before! What version of Chrome are you using and what's the system HW config? Thanks.

Eniqmatic

Explorer
Here is the error if your interested :)

http://imgur.com/a/uV3LS

I'm using Chrome 52.0. Tried it on Edge too (I know it isn't supported) but did the same thing. I've tailed the logs /var/log/nginx-access.log, nginx-error.log, dispatcher.log, messages and debug.log but there wasn't really any relevant errors.

I just quickly ran it on a Hyper-V VM, I might either try it on our proper VMWare system or just grab a physical server to try it on - I would suspect Hyper-V probably is the issue!

SavageAUS

Patron
Ah! Found the issue, came across this bug posted here: https://bugs.pcbsd.org/issues/15842

Disabling Kaspersky resolves it. Really weird!

I had this same issue on alpha. For me I disabled the kaspersky Web check plugin thingy and was all good.

Another note.
Great work to all the FreeNAS team, currently using 9.10.1 flawlessly, been testing 10 occasionally will definitely grab beta tomorrow and give it a whirl.

Magnus33

Patron
Fantastic job.

I should mention though that this well only fully work on intel based systems and not amd ones.

For it vm its using intel vt which is great on a intel motherboard but not such great news for anyone using a amd based system which uses a amd version.

Basically docker wont work because there nothing to start with.

J

jkh

I should mention though that this well only fully work on intel based systems and not amd ones.
Hmmm. I haven't even *seen* an AMD system in at least 10 years, and we certainly don't have any around the office to test on (AMD still makes CPUs?? Huh! Who knew! :D) so if you could tell us what kinds of errors you get, maybe we can at least add some additional checks that print more useful errors when trying to run something that requires VT-x functionality on a system which just doesn't support it. I know that the middleware flags Intel CPUs without VT-x and prints a diagnostic when any VM operation is attempted, which should also be transitive to Docker, but AMD... that's a poser! Thanks.

Magnus33

Patron
Yup still being made and still being used :)

Hey when you have a 8 core amd with 32 gigs of ram sitting around you use it lol

There one error and its when trying to start vm's
Docker for example wont start because Intel vt can not be loaded/present.

There some minor ui bucks with nfs shares and a cosmetic bug for the storage ( labeling is done in the free space (green area) for the drives but if the label is larger then the remaining green it overwrites to the right border).

gaaaa phone spell checking killing me.

Seriously for a beta there really not to speak of other then that for a serious issue love the work.

1. I link to think I'm fairly flexible and open to change - as evidenced by the fact that I already installed the beta - but I HATE the new interface. I get that it is easier to support and mobile-friendly. Still, ugh. The FreeNAS interface is going to drive me nuts. I'm sure this puts me in the minority. (It has been months since pfSense 'upgraded' their web interface in a similar fashion and I still haven't gotten used to it.)

2. The beta installed just fine and the core functions seem to work. Many thanks!

3. It would be nice if the default was https and certificates were automatically generated. But I seem to remember that being the case with earlier versions, too.

Cheers,
Matt

Magnus33

Patron
On A little side note its looking like the early reviews on the new amd Zen cpu can hold its own with the fastest intel.

Good news for all of us since it well keep things competitive.

Nick2253

Wizard
(It has been months since pfSense 'upgraded' their web interface in a similar fashion and I still haven't gotten used to it.)
It's funny that you mention this. I'm still thrown off by the new interface whenever I log into my pfSense box (I've been using pfSense for close to a decade, and I got really familiar with the old GUI), though I can't say that it's really better or worse than the old interface for my use case.

I haven't fully evaluated the new FreeNAS interface, but I think I'll probably reach the same conclusion: it really isn't any better or worse from my use case, but if it makes it easier to upgrade and support, that's a good thing by me.

Status
Not open for further replies.