FreeNAS 10-BETA is Now Available!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellgate

Cadet
I've install a fresh BETA 10,but can't login,
when entering the name and password to the GUI. I spend two days installing this....and now can't login...
(Chrome Browser)

Thanks!!

Last edited:
J

jkh

I've install a fresh BETA 10,but can't login,
when entering the name and password to the GUI. I spend two days installing this....and now can't login...
(Chrome Browser)
Virtualized under Windows, perhaps? With anti-virus software that blocks various key ports?

John Doe

Guru
The currently supported replication method in 10 is more complex, doesn't use SSH for actual replication (it has side-channels now) and provides replication statistics from both sides, not just one.

With this new method of replication in 10, would it be possible to optionally encrypt the data replicated?
I want to replicate my snapshots to a friend's Freenas and his snapshots to my Freenas, but we don't want access to the data.

J

jkh

With this new method of replication in 10, would it be possible to optionally encrypt the data replicated?
I want to replicate my snapshots to a friend's Freenas and his snapshots to my Freenas, but we don't want access to the data.
Replication is different from "backup" in this respect - a replicant is a "live" copy of your data on another machine, which may (if you change the settings appropriate) actually take over for you in the event of an outage. Backup is supported on the CLI but not yet in the GUI - that's coming soon, and will always encrypt the data as it leaves your machine.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
That would require changes to ZFS, whereas @jkh implies they're just using a different transport for the replication stream.

John Doe

Guru
@jkh That makes sense. Would the backup include snapshots or just current data (single snapshot)?

Magnus33

Patron
Hope the vm amd bug gets fixed like to test but the only test rig is a amd 8 core cpu.

With the present bug block vm from working it limits testing on this platform.:(

Donny Davis

Contributor
Will upgrades from the BETA to the final be supported?
Going to load this up on my spare retired isilion x400.

Watching these state of the union videos is like seeing your parents hide your Christmas presents away about a month before Christmas. You know your gonna have so much fun using that Red Ryder BB gun (hopefully without it costing you an eye) but you just have to wait for the big day when finally get to unwrap it.

It really is looking fantastic.

u6f6o

Explorer
Wow nice! Thank you for the efforts!

As I only used my box to get familiar with freenas so far, I'd give it a try and beta-test it a bit.

Last edited:

KyserTheHun

Cadet
Hmmm. I haven't even *seen* an AMD system in at least 10 years, and we certainly don't have any around the office to test on (AMD still makes CPUs?? Huh! Who knew! :D) so if you could tell us what kinds of errors you get, maybe we can at least add some additional checks that print more useful errors when trying to run something that requires VT-x functionality on a system which just doesn't support it. I know that the middleware flags Intel CPUs without VT-x and prints a diagnostic when any VM operation is attempted, which should also be transitive to Docker, but AMD... that's a poser! Thanks.

Whaaaat? AMD has to have at least 20% of the market share still. Are there no plans to make the VMs/Containers AMD compatible?

Leewilko

Cadet
Hmmm. I haven't even *seen* an AMD system in at least 10 years, and we certainly don't have any around the office to test on (AMD still makes CPUs?? Huh! Who knew! :D) so if you could tell us what kinds of errors you get, maybe we can at least add some additional checks that print more useful errors when trying to run something that requires VT-x functionality on a system which just doesn't support it. I know that the middleware flags Intel CPUs without VT-x and prints a diagnostic when any VM operation is attempted, which should also be transitive to Docker, but AMD... that's a poser! Thanks.
HP Microserver Gen 7 is still a pretty popular home lab NAS server and it uses an AMD CPU. Will it just not work with an AMD CPU full stop?

Leewilko

Cadet
Please file a ticket - someone will attempt to diagnose! Thanks
This did this for me on previous versions with only a 4GB USB stick or with certain USB sticks. Make sure you have a minimum of 8GB stick and a decent brand.

Z300M

Guru
As the system boots, via IPMI I can watch igb0 go from DOWN to UP but I don't see an IP address; then I get to the command line and can't see any way to configure igb0: it is shown as disabled, and I can't find any way to enable it.

Edit: Never mind: I managed that.

And is there a way to install it to my boot SSD alongside 9.10 so that I can choose 9.10 or 10 BETA?

Last edited:

Sakuru

Guru
And is there a way to install it to my boot SSD alongside 9.10 so that I can choose 9.10 or 10 BETA?
No, FreeNAS uses an entire drive. You cannot use partitions.

Status
Not open for further replies.