FreeNAS 8.0.1-BETA1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spocksbeer

Cadet
Yeah, the GUI upgrade process has been a bust for me too - the ZFS pool thinks it's online, but nothing has been mounted. This coming from a previously healthy and otherwise unmodified 8.0 release (AMD64) install. Freenas GUI reports the following on the storage tab:

Volume Path Used Available Size Status
MyData /mnt/MyData Error getting used space (Error) Error getting available space Error getting total space ONLINE
MyData /mnt/MyData/Music Error getting used space (Error) Error getting available space Error getting total space ONLINE
MyData /mnt/MyData/Photos Error getting used space (Error) Error getting available space Error getting total space ONLINE

Edit: After a bit of messing around, this has been resolved by manually re-creating the "MyData" directory in /mnt. This also seems to have fixed another UI quirk I noticed - selecting "Cron Scheduler" resulted in "undefined" being printed on-screen and the GUI locking up.

Tekkie

Patron

Tekkie

Patron
Deleting a dataset created with 8.0 using the 8.0.1-BETA gives the following errors in Opera:

EXPERIMENTAL: dojox.timing -- APIs subject to change without notice.
EXPERIMENTAL: dojox.form.FileInput -- APIs subject to change without notice.
exception in animation handler for: onEnd
[ Error: Cannot convert 'this._fadeOutDeferred' to object ]
Could not expand path at r
Could not expand path at r
[ Error: Cannot convert 'elem' to object

Additionally random buttons and text fields appear in Arabic rather than English.

jfr2006

Contributor
Tried an installation on a 2Gb USB stick. It only used half of the available space and the free space after installation is negative :(

Tekkie

Patron

Tekkie

Patron
No 4K drive option with 1GB swap

Does anyone know how and why the swap size setting affects the 4K option?

I installed 8.0.1-BETA tried building a new volume and didn't get a 4K option, however I remembered changing the default new volume swap size to be 1GB because of the memory stick that I was using to upgrade FreeNAS8.

Once I changed the new swap size to be 2GB, deleted the volume and started creating a new volume the 4K option appeared.

jfr2006

Contributor
Not sure what you are saying but it makes perfect sense, http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Hardware_Requirements. The docs (I know nobody reads docs these days ;) ) explain exactly what is going on here.

Only says that a 1GB usb stick is needed. It does not say anything about getting a final free space that is negative. Anyway, i was able to compile a version that uses the 2GB, so now i have 303MB free ;)

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
Does anyone know how and why the swap size setting affects the 4K option?

I installed 8.0.1-BETA tried building a new volume and didn't get a 4K option, however I remembered changing the default new volume swap size to be 1GB because of the memory stick that I was using to upgrade FreeNAS8.

Once I changed the new swap size to be 2GB, deleted the volume and started creating a new volume the 4K option appeared.

This makes no sense at all... 4k sector size will only appear if you select ZFS

Tekkie

Patron
I will do another test of this today/tomorrow and post the results, but I am pretty sure of what options I had.

geordie2011

Dabbler
ive tried upgrading from 8.0 to the 8.0.1 beta but cannot seem to find how to enable the 4k drives option? i have 4 x wd20ears using zfs and raidz1? thanks

Milhouse

Guru
It's only visible when creating a new ZFS volume - you should see "Force 4096 bytes sector size" in the dialog when creating a new volume. If you want to force 4K sectors you're going to have to blow away your current pool/volume and re-load your data from a backup.

Someone posted elsewhere on the forum that this option wasn't visible if you specify only 1GB swap (probably a bug?). I can confirm that I see it with 2GB swap as the default.

So just to understand perfectly clear, if you create a new ZFS volume with 4K sector size, it automatically aligns and creates the dataset so it performs optimally with the new 4K drives?

Tekkie

Patron
@Artur, Yes.

Thanks - I'm awaiting the final 8.0.1, and then I'll have to rebuild my Raid-Z from backup - hope the performance will be noticable...

ohnename

Explorer
Update from 8.0 to 8.0.1 on a 32bit system (my sig) from the gui. The system boots properly but if I want to access to the GUI via https (i changed this from http to https when I was using 8.0) I get "503 - Service not avaible". Lighttpd is runnig on port 443, thats not the problem.
The shares and ssh are still working so I can continue to use the NAS but without webGUI.
Time to test 8.0.1 BETA2 :)

Tekkie

Patron
Browser cache problem :) For some reason the little pop-up is cached on the browser side.

Status
Not open for further replies.