Resource icon

FreeNAS® Quick Hardware Guide Rev 2a)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
This is the discussion thread for the FreeNAS Quick Hardware Guide. It is a more streamlined guide than the main Hardware Recommendations Guide, useful as a quick refresher of specific recommendations.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

JJT211

Patron
And here comes a newly minted AMD fanboy to interject.

I will give OP credit that AMD did receive a mention, and that there's still only a small pool of users running FreeNAS on AMD's. And I agree with the conservative approach when it comes to an official hardware guide, but to nitpick I think the AMD EPYC line (AMD's Xeon equivalent) should receive a mention as well.

They've been killing it lately, especially with the new 2nd Gen Rome CPU's. They've been crushing Intel in performance for like half the price. Here's some recent benchmarks on the top of the line AMD EPYC vs Intel's Xeon Platinum offerings.

I recently upgraded to an AMD EPYC 3251 8 core/16 thread embedded Supermicro M11SDV board (my first AMD anything, ever). Ive been running FreeNAS as a VM on ESXi 6.7 the last few months with no problems (I actually did have a problem, but it was just a bad RAM slot on the SM board which I was able to RMA. Point being is that it wasnt AMD related).

As documented in servethehome review's here and here, the current board im using above is roughly equivalent the upper end of the Xeon-D 2000 gen CPU's at the previous Xeon-D generation prices.

I also just purchased an AMD EPYC 7281 Hexadeca-core (16 Core) CPU on a Supermicro MBD-H11SSL-I (all for under $1000) for work and this thing is an absolute MONSTER. I also have FreeNAS running on a VM and am currently in the process of adding it to our datacenter for production use. So far so good.

Here's a forum thread with some successful AMD EPYC FreeNAS users

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
AMD is definitely not forgotten. The new version was written back in March and a lot has happened since then.

JJT211

Patron
AMD is definitely not forgotten. The new version was written back in March and a lot has happened since then.

Ahh ok, thought it was just released. Yea, all of AMD's strides have been very recent.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I've been busy as hell, but the new full hardware recommendations guide will explain the AMD situation in detail, once I sit down to write it. Some time after that, I'll update the quick guide, too.

JJT211

Patron
No probs at all, I completely understand, get to it whenever you can. Im just happy to know its being acknowledged.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Not particularly, though it helps keep things shorter. I mean, most people are still on 1 GbE, right? In that space, there's Intel (i210), Intel (i217/8/9), Intel (i350) and Intel (the old four-digit model numbers) to choose from, and the recommended motherboards include it.
As for 10 GbE, that probably warrants more research than a Quick Guide can summarize, both for the NIC and the rest of the system.

guemi

Dabbler
Yeah I suppose that is through, and enterprise modelling / building is kind of your money cow so it does make sense.

I'm just wondering if my trusty aquantias are not-so-trusty in my case and went here to look what to buy.

I trust anything 10GbE for FreeBSD is rock'n'roll for FreeNAS?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'm just wondering if my trusty aquantias are not-so-trusty in my case and went here to look what to buy.
I don't think I've heard anything bad per se. The driver took a while to show up, but they seem otherwise okay.

I trust anything 10GbE for FreeBSD is rock'n'roll for FreeNAS?
Yup

artlessknave

Wizard
this is likely impossible to get. I think the company died out, or rebranded to a brand I can't locate.
Norco RPC-4224

The used market has the Norco S.E.A. RPC-4224 4U server case, according to their site they still make them (though try finding them in stock new.....).

Many consider a used Supermicro 24-bay far better than Norco for quality and durability, with SAS-2 models are on eBay for $200+S/H.

Last edited: