Finding UIDs for Jails Newbie experience

mjayjock

Dabbler
I just love what I have seen so far from TrueNAS Core. I have spent many hours setting up and trying to learn it. I am learning new ways of thinking and I am starting from a relatively low level of expertise. So simple explanations are incredibly important to me.
I know that I need to put up users or groups with the UIDs that exist in any respective TrueNAS jails for them to work properly. My primary interest is getting Plex Server and its associated programs: Sonarr, Radarr, SABnzb, and Prowlarr going. I spent a TON of time searching the web and this forum to find the method that would find and identify these UIDs.
Here is what I did - it will seem simple and trivial to knowledgeable TrueNAS veterans but this post would have saved me many hours of searching.
I installed and started the jails for each of these programs (using YouTube Help from Black Beard).
Most of the jails got installed as a result of installing plug-ins; however, Sabnzb would not install successfully as a plug-in/jail so I installed it directly in a jail, again, using a YouTube video on this from Black Beard.

I ran ps aux in the TrueNAS shell.
It produced a lot of output but the most important was a UID for each program. Here are UIDs it showed for the jails I had previously installed:
Radarr 352
Sonarr 351
Prowlarr 359
Plex 972
NZBget 504
Sabnzb 816
I then used a YouTube video from Black Beard to establish groups in TrueNAS for each (for example it set up a group called Radarr-Group that was assigned UID=352 in the GUI) and then assigned permissions for the groups that I formed again consulting a Black Beard video. Of course, I had previously assigned the appropriate UIDs for each group using a Black Beard YouTube video.
I hope this helps.

Just a heads up, and this will sound repetitive to the regulars of this community: don't use "Plugins" on Core, anymore.

Stick to manually created and managed jails.

mjayjock

Dabbler
Thanks for the heads-up. Should I delete all the jails that were put up using plug-in and start over? Or can I get by with a pkg update and upgrade in each?

I believe as long as you ignore the "Plugins" menu on the left side of the TrueNAS screen, you can simply use the Jails page, iocage commands, and entering the jail itself (iocage console) to issue pkg installs and updates.

Davvo

MVP
Thanks for the heads-up. Should I delete all the jails that were put up using plug-in and start over? Or can I get by with a pkg update and upgrade in each?
If you want stability and upgrades, yes you should rebuild them.
If you don't touch working plugin jails they should work... until something (could be a base OS update) breaks them.

My two cents? Do it while you have all the config procedure fresh in mind and not much data/permissions to handle. Touch now to never do so again, basically.