Radarr + SABNZBplus permissions

therealpure

Dabbler
Running TrueNAS-13.0-U3.1.

I've followed these instructions here:

Except I didn't setup the users/groups part and put both radarr+sabnzbd into the same jail.

The both SAbnzbd + Radarr run fine, but radarr doesn't have permission to move the downloaded files due to write access.

The id for radarr gives
Code:
 uid=352(radarr) gid = 352(radarr) groups =352(radarr) 

And for sabnzbd
Code:
 uid=350(_sabnzbd) gid=350(_sabnzbd) groups=350(_sabnzbd) 

I have tried to now retrospectively add in groups/users but having issues.

Typing
Code:
 chown -R testnewmedia:radarjailgroup /usr/local/sabnzbd 

I get an error
Code:
 chown: radarjailgroup: illegal group name 

Note that the sabnzbd download folder shows the following on typing "ls -l"

Code:
 drwxrwxrwx+  2 _sabnzbd  1000       5 Dec 13 **FILENAME** 

Despite that group/user having been created in the Truenas interface

Any advice? I could delete the jails and start again following steps exactly but I think there should be a way to fix it now its all working otherwise.

Update:
It seems to be a similar issue as shown here: https://www.truenas.com/community/t...ht-for-plex-radarr-sonarr-transmission.92385/

No solution was provided for that problem though.

Last edited:

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Despite that group/user having been created in the Truenas interface
It's very important to understand that users created in the GUI are not automatically also created within jails with the same details, that's something you need to do on your own.

therealpure

Dabbler
It's very important to understand that users created in the GUI are not automatically also created within jails with the same details, that's something you need to do on your own.
Thanks for that. Shall I create the same USER/GROUP as I have in the Web interface for TrueNAS within the Jail itself?

I was trying to do something like that using :

Code:
 chown -R testnewmedia:radarjailgroup /usr/local/sabnzbd 

I received the error :

Code:
 chown: radarjailgroup: illegal group name 

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Creating the same user (with the same userid) in jails as exists on the host is often convenient when you want to be able to share content provided by the jail to services like SMB where the user needs to be specified from the host side. (same goes for groups)

It's not strictly necessary if you don't exploit the data on the host side.

If you're in the jail and trying to chown some files/directories with a username or groupname that doesn't exist in the jail, the error you're seeing is absolutely normal/expected.

therealpure

Dabbler
Creating the same user (with the same userid) in jails as exists on the host is often convenient when you want to be able to share content provided by the jail to services like SMB where the user needs to be specified from the host side. (same goes for groups)

It's not strictly necessary if you don't exploit the data on the host side.

If you're in the jail and trying to chown some files/directories with a username or groupname that doesn't exist in the jail, the error you're seeing is absolutely normal/expected.

Sorry for my mistake here. As you say trying to change ownership to a user that doesn't exist will certainly kick out a error.

So would the recommended steps be:
- Make a user in the jail that matches that from those created outside the jail, or does this not matter?
- Give ownership to this user with "chown" command to directory where files are downloaded + where they are moved to
- Use this command -> "sysrc sonarr_user="username"" and "sysrc sabnzbd_user="username"" to make both tasks run as the same user and hence have permissions to edit both the download + organised folder.

Does that make sense?

Update:
As stated here: https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/how-to-do-jail-permissions-the-right-way.93963/

Last edited:

sretalla