Extremely low tranfer speeds on an iSCSI share

Ikon

Dabbler
I recenlty upgraded my home network to 10gbe network including a 10gig switch, but I am only getting around 20 mbis.
I have tried setting the MTU, got 20 mbis in iperf3 testing, enabling some settings on windows in the asus xg-c100c card in my windows pc.
I have googled for the last 2 hours and could not find any fix, any help will be appreciated.

Specs:
CPU: 2 x Intel Xeon X5687 3.6GHz
RAM: 12 x 8GB ECC DDR3-1333
Raidcard: LSI Megaraid SAS 9211-8I
Motherboard: Supermicro X8DTU-F
Networkcard: Netxtreme II BCM57810
It is a 36 bay storage server

Davvo

MVP

Davvo

MVP
Which version of TN are you using? Are you able to get close to that 10Gbps speed with different devices?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Networkcard: Netxtreme II BCM57810

Broadcom cards are called out as hit-or-miss in the 10 Gig Networking Primer. Please get rid of the card and instead select one known to work well. Recommended cards are also listed in the Primer and are also constantly mentioned here in the forums.

Ikon

Dabbler
Broadcom cards are called out as hit-or-miss in the 10 Gig Networking Primer. Please get rid of the card and instead select one known to work well. Recommended cards are also listed in the Primer and are also constantly mentioned here in the forums.
When I use the built in 1gbe its the same results.

Also you need to crossflash this to HBA IT mode (in which case it becomes an LSI HBA instead of an LSI MegaRAID card).
How do i do that?

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
got 20 mbis in iperf3 testing

In a related thread linked below you mentioned the ability to hit 3Gbps speeds over iperf:

20Mbps is significantly worse than 3Gbps - but both are well below the "theoretical maximum" speeds you should see from iperf testing.

Can you describe your network topology and any switches or network gear between the two iperf endpoints?

Ikon

Dabbler
In a related thread linked below you mentioned the ability to hit 3Gbps speeds over iperf:

20Mbps is significantly worse than 3Gbps - but both are well below the "theoretical maximum" speeds you should see from iperf testing.

Can you describe your network topology and any switches or network gear between the two iperf endpoints?
Yes I had an issue with max speeds of 3gbps but then I noticed the speeds had gone even more down for some weird reason

I have a 10gbps card in my pc that goes to a netgear 10gbe swith(8 10gbe ports) and that switch connects to my router and my NAS wich also have a 10gbe network card

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Yes I had an issue with max speeds of 3gbps but then I noticed the speeds had gone even more down for some weird reason
I'd start with the lowest level of the OSI network layer (physical) and work up - check the cables for signs of damage, your network cards and switch for excessive heat (careful here, you can get burned if you touch a hot 10GbE card!)

I assume both your NAS and PC are connected to the same Netgear switch and nothing is being forced to go through the router or another chokepoint. Are you using a transceiver anywhere to go between SFP+ and 10Gbase-T? Check that it isn't overheating or being flagged as incompatible.

Ikon

Dabbler
I'd start with the lowest level of the OSI network layer (physical) and work up - check the cables for signs of damage, your network cards and switch for excessive heat (careful here, you can get burned if you touch a hot 10GbE card!)

I assume both your NAS and PC are connected to the same Netgear switch and nothing is being forced to go through the router or another chokepoint. Are you using a transceiver anywhere to go between SFP+ and 10Gbase-T? Check that it isn't overheating or being flagged as incompatible.
I tested with another pc and its the same speeds so its not a windows issue, I'm gonna test the server an pc directly to see if it is the switch or the Broadcom 10gbe card, gonna update you tomorrow.