Asus xg-c100c not recognized in truenas

Ikon

Dabbler
Yesterday I installed a 10 gigabit network card(asus xg-c100c) in my Supermicro storage server but it's not picked up by truenas, I don't know if I have to install drivers but it shows in the bios under network boot.
Its not showing in interfaces in truenas.

Specs:
CPU: 2 x Intel Xeon X5687 3.6GHz
RAM: 12 x 8GB ECC DDR3-1333
Raidcard: LSI Megaraid SAS 9211-8I
Motherboard: Supermicro X8DTU-F
It is a 36 bay storage server

artlessknave

Wizard
this is not a supported card. installing drivers is not an option. TrueNAS is a storage appliance targeted at enterprise grade gear.
return the card and get a chelsio or intel 10g NIC. you can get a 2 port chelsio from ebay for close to that price.
you *might* be able to switch to TrueNAS scale and have it find the card...but it's not a server card, you will likely have headaches and unreliability, and will not find much help here on the forums with unsupported hardware.

do not use RAID cards with TrueNAS; I do not think the 9211 is even megaRAID, but regardless, you need to flash it to IT mode (HBA) (9201)

x8 is very old at this point. they are basically inefficient space heaters, probably struggle to manage 10G. unfortunately, as it's likely a UIOchassis (?), there aren't many options to replace it with. the newest available ultra IO boards are, iirc, x9dbu, which should be drop in compatible and MUCH newer.

Ikon

Dabbler
this is not a supported card. installing drivers is not an option. TrueNAS is a storage appliance targeted at enterprise grade gear.
return the card and get a chelsio or intel 10g NIC. you can get a 2 port chelsio from ebay for close to that price.
you *might* be able to switch to TrueNAS scale and have it find the card...but it's not a server card, you will likely have headaches and unreliability, and will not find much help here on the forums with unsupported hardware.

do not use RAID cards with TrueNAS; I do not think the 9211 is even megaRAID, but regardless, you need to flash it to IT mode (HBA) (9201)

x8 is very old at this point. they are basically inefficient space heaters, probably struggle to manage 10G. unfortunately, as it's likely a UIOchassis (?), there aren't many options to replace it with. the newest available ultra IO boards are, iirc, x9dbu, which should be drop in compatible and MUCH newer.
What about the tp-link tx401? is that supported?
or do I have to switch to truenas scale to get either of them working?

sybreeder

Explorer
10gb/5gb/2.5gb Aquantia/realtek NICs won't be supported. At least for Core
For Scale RTL8125 might work already

Davvo

MVP
You want Intel or Broadcom NICs and you want to stay clear of 2.5Gbps.

That being said, the one you have should be compatibile with SCALE since they claim full compatibility with Linux Kernel. I would not advise using it however since it has "built-in QoS" that doesn't really make me feel good.

Last edited:

artlessknave

Wizard
if you want something that "maybe works with issues", sure, but if you want something that "works - reliably and well", nope. none of the above.

sell the one you bought (or use it for a desktop, as its intended) and get a quality intel or chelsio card from ebay or something. the used server cards will be far and away better and if you watch the prices a bit, sometimes also cheaper.

you bought a farrari but are trying to put random tires on it from the junkyard with rims that don't fit.

Ikon

Dabbler
Is any of these ethernet cards good?:

Edimax EN-9320TX-E​

DeLock PCI Express Card 1x 10 Gigabit LAN (89654)

Synology E10G18-T1

artlessknave

Wizard
are they on the list of recomended TrueNAS hardware?
I positive I have never heard of them, or their companies, so I'm quite sure the answer is no.

of course, you don't have to follow our recommendations, but going with hardware we aren't familiar with means you're on your own for getting it working, because the majority of us can't stand messing with hardware we don't know is reliable.

TrueNAS scale might work better, as debian typically has more drivers for the less reliable hardware, but your mileage WILL vary.

artlessknave

Wizard
there is an entire resources section of the forums.

Davvo

MVP

Etorix

Wizard

Edimax EN-9320TX-E​

I can't easily find which chipset it uses, so assume the answer is "no".
Has info (good point); never heard of "Tahini".
Synology E10G18-T1
Same as option #1.

Aquantia NICs have at least experimental support in TrueNAS, which you may need to enable with a tunable.
But do yourself a favour and get a supported server-grade NIC: Intel, Chelsio or Solarflare. Solarflare cards are available from Chinese vendors on eBay for $50.

sybreeder

Explorer

Edimax EN-9320TX-E​

Synology E10G18-T1

Edimax EN-9320TX-E​

it's based on
Tehuti TN4010B0
With installed driver - like dkms for example it will work with SCALE. Can't tell how stable it will be.
It's 10/5/2.5/1Gb

jgreco

Resident Grinch
With installed driver - like dkms for example it will work with SCALE. Can't tell how stable it will be.
It's 10/5/2.5/1Gb

TrueNAS is not designed for drivers to be installed. The toolsets needed for this are not likely to be present.

Please choose from among supported hardware as discussed in the 10 Gig Networking Primer.

artlessknave

Wizard
Can't tell how stable it will be.
I would imagine about the same as the realtek. fine as a client, somewhere around terrible to mediocre as server.

sybreeder

Explorer
TrueNAS is not designed for drivers to be installed. The toolsets needed for this are not likely to be present.

Please choose from among supported hardware as discussed in the 10 Gig Networking Primer.
Personally i've installed driver for Fusion-IO flash card and it works stable with SCALE
Everytime i'm upgrading TrueNAS to newer version i have to install DKMS driver.
1672181092499.png
But yes for NIC it's lottery
NIC i use is Mellanox Connectx3 but TrueNAS itself uses virtualized NIC from ESXi 7.03

I have 2.5Gb nic based on Realtek Chip and i can connect it to TrueNAS Scale VM for testing :>

artlessknave

Wizard
fusion-IO makes some sense, since that's specialized, EoL(?) hardware I assume you are using just cuz you have it. you are basically your own support for it though.
but why mess around with that when you can buy known good, tested, and well supported NIC's for similar prices to any of the new but iffy cards?

there is 1 exception generally considered: if you are just experimenting, that's a whole different thing. as long as that's clear and that no data is at risk, more suggestions might occur.

the problem is far too many people try to do strange things like run business client VMs in their homelab on some hacked together TrueNAS (I kid you not, a similar story was on reddit) and makes our bits ache.

Last edited:

Davvo

MVP

sybreeder

Explorer
fusion-IO makes some sense, since that's specialized, EoL(?) hardware I assume you are using just cuz you have it. you are basically your own support for it though.
but why mess around with that when you can buy known good, tested, and well supported NIC's for similar prices to any of the new but iffy cards?
Of course. Better just use Mellanox or intel :)
With RJ45 its worse due to bigger power draw and heat.
And price Rg45 NIC costs 2-3x more that mellanox or even probably intel for SFP+

SFP+ card will be more stable anyway

artlessknave

Wizard
generally not as well supported as chelsio. chelsio cards are what ships with enterprise TrueNAS often.
mellanox are better for windows and linux