DrKK is building a new FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Esteemed Colleagues:

My current FreeNAS build, which is a 3x2TB WD Red, with G3220 CPU and X10SLM motherboard, has provided me faithful service for nearly 4 years. Never one bit has been out of place, not even one time, on any pool. However, as you might not be surprised to learn, 3x2TB in RAID-Z isn't exactly a lot of space. Once I got below 1TB free (which occurred 90 minutes ago), I immediately set to purchasing the items in my Newegg cart, especially as I had a T-Mobile gift card for $789 that expires in a month or two. Accordingly, I would like to announce that DrKK is retiring his trusty FreeNAS "giskard", and all parts therein deserving of a well-earned retirement. I assume people care what well-known/experienced guys in the forum buy for their own systems? Anyway:

My new build, which probably should be named "daneel" or "fastolfe" or "trevize" (haven't decided yet---but it will be an important figure from Asimov), consists of the following parts, with any commentary as to why I made the selections I made.

Mobo: X11SSM-F-O. In my view, this is the definitive micro-ATX server motherboard for the home user for the 1151 and C236 chipset. It's got the new IPMI in it, and the userbase reports a trouble-free, reliable, SuperMicro experience. The cheaper models either had only 6 SATA ports (I wanted 8), or they lacked IPMI, which is a non-starter. The more expensive models had either more network interfaces (which I don't need), or had M.2 support and/or fancy PCI slots, none of which I give a {profanity} about. $210 at Newegg.

CPU: i3-6100. This is a Skylake model, and supports ECC. The newer i3's on the 1151 do not. The price difference between this and a pentium of this line, in my view, did not make up for the obvious advantages of hyperthreading and AES-NI support. So I went with the i3-6100. $120 at Newegg

Hard drives: 5x4TB WD Red.
Almost certainly will be RAID-Z2. Newegg had a deal, $139 + $5 off apiece, limit 5. $33.50/TB? Yes, please, sign me up. My experience with the previous WD Reds, and my considerable experience with all of you guys using the WD Reds with excellent effect, meant that I actually did not consider any other hard drive in a DrKK build. Total: $670 for the 5 drives at Newegg.

Memory: Kingston KVR21E15D8/8I
, 8GB UDIMM ECC, the "I" at the end signifying that this is "Intel certified and tested". I have no idea what this means. Didn't check to see if this was on the qualified memory list for this mobo, but, I'm 98.12281% sure it will be fine. I bought two sticks---16GB should be more than enough to get the party started. If I need two more sticks later, so be it. 4 total slots available on mobo. $79 per module at Newegg

PSU: Giving the Seasonic S12II-430B a try.
This is their lower price range, but I saw a guy go through the PCBs and design components on youtube, and it looks pretty good. I expect this box to idle at about 75W, so this is more than enough capacity. @m0nkey_ wanted me to go with one of the slightly more expensive and well-known well-tested Seasonics, which we all recommend, but I over-rode him. I am confident this will be a more than adequate and reliable PSU.

Case: Fractal Design R5, pimp white. I *was* going to go with the HAF 912 from Cooler Master, but @m0nkey_ convinced me that this case was "ugly" and "lacked panache" (or similar statement), and more or less suggested that my manhood would be at risk if I bought that case. He then suggested the Fractal Design R5, which of course is a crowd favorite here at FreeNAS. I ultimately concurred that I would feel like more of a man, and M0nkey_ ultimately concurred that the case in white was "pimp" (if I'm getting a $110 case, it has to be pimp), so after adjusting his initial choice of "black blackout" to "white", I am going with the R5.

Miscellanea: Since they had a 50% special, I felt compelled to buy ten of these, and five of these, because, you know, this is the kind of stuff that you want in your cabinet, so that you can be a hero some day when someone runs into a spot. A well stocked cabinet with such miscellanea is a must-have for anyone that builds a lot of computers; simply stock it up when things are on sale. :)

Boot device: We're in a grey area here. Might just pull out an SSD from my "box o' SSD's" and use that, but unsure if I want to kill a SATA port for the boot device. Didn't buy anything for this purpose, planning on crossing the bridge later.

Total build cost, including the miscellanea, was about $1300 straight. With T-Mobile gift card, I feel the pain of only $600 of that amount...and as a poker player, I can lose $600 in one night if things don't go well, so I'm OK with this. :)

Not sure what I'm going to do with giskard and its drives. Maybe I'll reformat as a stripe vdev and use as another backup, I don't know. Also, not sure if I am going to network-transfer from the old pool to the new, or perhaps, physically mount the old drives in the new system temporarily and just do a straight up local zfs send/receive. The pain-in-the-ass versus time-saved calculus is unclear.

That is all. Carry on.

Last edited:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Nice parts selection for your build. Be careful with those molex to SATA splitters, @jgreco has posted some pics of the results of using questionable ones.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
PSU: Giving the Seasonic S12II-430B a try. This is their lower price range, but I saw a guy go through the PCBs and design components on youtube, and it looks pretty good. I expect this box to idle at about 75W, so this is more than enough capacity. @m0nkey_ wanted me to go with one of the slightly more expensive and well-known well-tested Seasonics, which we all recommend, but I over-rode him. I am confident this will be a more than adequate and reliable PSU.
They're certainly a few cuts above the absolute-lowest-end Corsair CX. IIRC, components are a slight downgrade from the G-Series, with essentially the same platform, minus the semi-modularity (which tends to be the deal-breaker).
I think they're getting phased out in favor of a non-modular Prime Gold series, which is the successor of the G-Series.

Boot device: We're in a grey area here. Might just pull out an SSD from my "box o' SSD's" and use that, but unsure if I want to kill a SATA port for the boot device. Didn't buy anything for this purpose, planning on crossing the bridge later.
Updates are much faster with an SSD. With the two Toshiba USB flash drives, updates can take an hour or more. With the extreme-low-end SanDisk SSD, they're nearly instantaneous.

Also, not sure if I am going to network-transfer from the old pool to the new, or perhaps, physically mount the old drives in the new system temporarily and just do a straight up local zfs send/receive. The pain-in-the-ass versus time-saved calculus is unclear.
Less than 3TB? Definitely network, zfs send | ssh oldmachine zfs recv is the way to go. That's something like 10 hours over GbE, perfectly doable.

m0nkey_

MVP
The Fractal Design R5 is indeed "pimp". I will be using it in a future build.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'm sure it's not worse than my red Sharkoon T9. Why red? It was the only color available and it's hard to get a crapton of 5.25"bays these days.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I've been considering moving my desktop build over to an R5 sans window. I'm developing an aversion to noise as I age and my bionic ears tend to make things even worse. Quiet = good. Also my current case has no filters and that's a big problem for me with a wood stove and 2 dogs.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I'll just put in a vote for 2x 4TB 2-way mirrors with a cold (or hot, whatever) spare.

Because. Mirrors.
Unless you need the performance of mirrors, mirrors are a sucker's bet. 50% parity is just way over my cutoff. 25-35% I think is the proper amount of parity, with 35% starting to look a little silly.

But that's just my view.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
I understand. I think having to replace 5 or 6 drives to grow a pool is a sucker's bet in the days of 8+TB drives, but that's just my view.

:)

Speaking of deals on 4TB WD Reds, Amazon has been making me scratch my head lately. There were a couple of days when they had them for less than $130 each. I grabbed one for $123.25, one day they were down to $115.65, but there's a catch.

Limit one per customer. WTF?

joeschmuck

Old Man
The SATA Cables, I noticed that they are straight on both ends, no right angles. Will that work with the R5 case? My case it pretty wide as well but I couldn't use a straight cable to mount the drives unless I rotated the cages.

Looks like you have given a lot of thought to the parts selection. I can speak from experience that the HAF case is not fancy looking at all and looks more like a cheap gaming rig case. I purchased it for a few reasons, the air flow, the cost, and thick steel for longevity. Plus it sits in my basement most of the time. I think the R5 is a very nice case and the white would look so clean. Please let us know how loud your system is once you have everything installed (I expect it will be silent) and drive temps.

I'm not sure what data you place on your NAS but the old one could be used as a backup for the important files. You could also reduce the total number of hard drives while you're at it. My backup NAS only has a single hard drive, nothing fancy. It's a backup for the backup. In my home the primary NAS is the backup for all my computers, that is the original and main purpose. The secondary purpose is to store some movies and serve those up. The movies are not important and that is just my way of doing things.

You can't argue with the motherboard but be sure to upgrade the BIOS, it recently had a new one come out.

The boot device, dig deep and grab any SSD, don't mirror it because I'm sure you know that I think that is a waste of hardware, just retain a copy of the config file like I'm sure you already do.

Lets talk transferring your data briefly... You are purchasing a MB with 8 SATA ports. You presently have 3 Hard Drives in 1 pool. You are purchasing 5 hard drives for a new pool. Install your new hard drives first, create the new pool, then install the old hard drives as well and auto import those, and now you can transfer files between the two pools very fast. Eh, just a thought. But this means you will need to boot from USB for this operation, once it's all done you could remove the 3 drives and then use a SSD.

EDIT: Back to the R5 case, I'd also take the fan from the rear of thee case and place it in the front so you have two intake fans. This will improve airflow over all the drives. Exhaust will be pushed out the top & rear. You could also mount the power supply upside down for additional pulling of air but that will be up to you (I mounted mine upside down and it works very well).

Last edited:

chris crude

Patron
I understand. I think having to replace 5 or 6 drives to grow a pool is a sucker's bet in the days of 8+TB drives, but that's just my view.

:)

Speaking of deals on 4TB WD Reds, Amazon has been making me scratch my head lately. There were a couple of days when they had them for less than $130 each. I grabbed one for $123.25, one day they were down to $115.65, but there's a catch.

Limit one per customer. WTF?

I grabbed 4x4TB disks from new egg last week while on sale also. Disks for my main PC which has 3x3TB in Raid5 currently. Thinking of using them Raid10 so I can increase speeds when transferring data to my Nas. The old disks will slowly replace my 5x2TB z2 Nas array.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
You can't argue with the motherboard but be sure to upgrade the BIOS, it recently had a new one come out.
I hate upgrading BIOSes unless I have a material reason to do so. What's in the changelog that justifies the risk?

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Lets talk transferring your data briefly... You are purchasing a MB with 8 SATA ports. You presently have 3 Hard Drives in 1 pool. You are purchasing 5 hard drives for a new pool. Install your new hard drives first, create the new pool, then install the old hard drives as well and auto import those, and now you can transfer files between the two pools very fast.
With all due respect sir, perhaps you forgot who you were speaking to? And in any case, I think what you just described is what *I* clearly described (or at least, it was clear this is what I had in mind) in the original post. :)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I hate upgrading BIOSes unless I have a material reason to do so. What's in the changelog that justifies the risk?
Well, it's buggy as all hell in the version I have. It mostly works after FreeNAS is installed, but you'll run into the following issues:
  • Boot priorities are seriously messed-up
  • Boot occasionally fails after a reboot with a memory error. Another reboot fixes that, but first you have to be aware of it (the incessant beeping helps).
Actually, I'm not sure either of those is fixed in the latest BIOS...

I always update BIOSes to the latest when I buy new stuff. If it fails, RMAs are much easier and you get the peace of mind of a more recent BIOS.

gpsguy

You could install Corral on giskard and support the users who demand support for a dead product. ;-)

m0nkey_

MVP
You could install Corral on giskard and support the users who demand support for a dead product. ;-)
You got it all wrong. You should be installing Corral on a AMD Athlon X4 955 Black Edition on some MSI gaming motherboard with Realtek NIC, graphics on a ATI 6850 with a whopping 8GB RAM. Power hungry and out of date on all counts! ;)

joeschmuck

Old Man
Well it will depend on what BIOS you start with. Mine was not very functional when I got my motherboard. I'm sure yours will at least have a more current BIOS of course. I think a few of the fixes are important, well they were to me.

The change log is here

joeschmuck

Old Man
With all due respect sir, perhaps you forgot who you were speaking to? And in any case, I think what you just described is what *I* clearly described (or at least, it was clear this is what I had in mind) in the original post. :)
And you did describe it, it was clear to me AFTER I made my posting.

My humble apologies.

Z300M

Guru
Memory: Kingston KVR21E15D8/8I

You're ignoring all the Beware-of-Kingston advice? Why not stick to RAM that's on Supermicro's QVL?

Status
Not open for further replies.