Pictures (as promised) of DrKK's New Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
This is the final installment in what has turned out to be a three-piece series. Here is part 1, here is part 2.

Picture #1: This is the old box, Giskard. The case is the very nice Bitfenix Phenom M, which I recommend. Giskard was a very small box, as per my wife's request at the time. I wish I had a banana (or a Cyberjock's you-know-what) for scale. Giskard gave totally flawless service, never one bit, never for one instant, was ever out of place. He has earned my respect, and I wish him a satisfying retirement.

giskard.jpg

Here is the interior view of the new, much larger, NAS in the white Fractal Design R5. I notice the auxiliary CPU 12v power cable is not connected for some reason at the moment I snap this shot. (Edit: yes, it is. Sorry).

interiorview.jpg

The flip side of the case has a very nice cable management system, and a sweet little place for two SSD's. Here you can see my cheap boot SSD, and my significantly less cheap jails SSD mounted on to the underside of the motherboard tray:

underpanel.jpg

Here is the new NAS (daneel) in its final resting place in the (lol) "server room":

finalpos.jpg

And for La Piece De La Resistance, here is the shot in the darkness of the room, showing the panoply of tasty colors dancing about the walls in breathtaking splendor:

pimpLED.jpg

DrKK really recommends LEDs. As many as possible.

Attachments

• giskard.jpg
    giskard.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 396
  • interiorview.jpg
    interiorview.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 991
Last edited:

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Oh, and here's the watt meter.

This was a pleasant surprise, it's about the same wattage (48 at idle) as giskard (42 at idle), despite having a more powerful CPU and two more HDD's, and way way way way more LEDs.

watts.jpg

SavageAUS

Patron
Nice rig but wouldn't cable management be "cleaner" if those HDD's were facing the other way?

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Nice rig but wouldn't cable management be "cleaner" if those HDD's were facing the other way?
CURSE YOU AND EVERYONE ELSE FROM SOUTHERN AUSTRALIA.

Except Joe Hachem.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Damn it, now that's going to bother me until I turn the hard drives around. CURSE YOU.

SavageAUS

Patron

iammykyl

Explorer
Being from Queensland, I was to polite to mention it
whistling.gif

What"s the big drop in the chart? a restart?

Dice

Wizard
yeah, the drives are meant to be mounted cable inwards. However, that sucks for maintenance. It is a constant struggle between what looks the best when putting the case away and actually working on the guts..

On top of that, I can't stop thinking you've managed to rotate the CPU cooler sideways?
My EVO212 (non-led version) is ...pointing towards the rear.
Perhaps it makes more sense in your particular case to have it pointing upwards granted the ventilation.
Was the orientation an intentional maneuver or a lucky move?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Nice pics. I think I'm sold on one of these cases for my desktop hardware. Of course without all the bling and LED. Less LED = good.

Stux

MVP
I think I'm sold on one of these cases for my desktop hardware

I can thoroughly recommend the Fractal Design Define C if you're looking for a high end desktop case... without a requirement for lots of 3.5/5.25" bays.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
On top of that, I can't stop thinking you've managed to rotate the CPU cooler sideways?
Is that so? Hmmm. Weird. I guess you're right, a quick perusal of youtube shows that everyone has this mounted 90 degrees from me. Oh well, I guess I didn't think much about it except "push heat up or back". For a minute there I thought maybe the holes weren't symmetric and mounting it 90 degrees off was not possible and you guys are crazy, but the tech specs for the socket (1150 socket actually linked, but the hole layout is the same) certainly indicate the holes are wholly (no pun intended) symmetric.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
What"s the big drop in the chart? a restart?
Yes. Forgot why I had to restart it, but it was routine. Maybe I put the case side panels back on at that point.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
To be fair about the LEDs: I only expected a mild to moderate amount of LED'age, wholly contributed by the 212 LED cooler. In reality, there were two other unanticipated and unanticipatedly bright LED sources:
  1. Surprisingly bright blue LEDs in the case body itself, unimpeded since nothing is installed in the 5.25" bays
  2. Surprisingly bright green LED on the X11SSM itself for power on, and the same type of LED, except flashing, for the IPMI chip.
As it happens, I find these a feature, not a bug, and if they had ECC RAM DIMMS in with dancing RGB LED like the water display at Bellagio, I'd buy those too. I won't lie.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Come to think of it, I got lucky.

Note that if I installed the cooler the "right" way, I'd be over the DIMM slots, and I'm almost certainly adding 16GB more of RAM, so that was a fortuitous "accident".

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
You wouldn't last two seconds in Baltimore, sir.
You are absolutely correct. But I'll keep my political views out of this thread. ;)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Come to think of it, I got lucky.

Note that if I installed the cooler the "right" way, I'd be over the DIMM slots, and I'm almost certainly adding 16GB more of RAM, so that was a fortuitous "accident".
It's common for large 120mm coolers to obstruct the DIMM slots to some extent on server-layout boards. That's one of the reasons why the 90mm format is popular in servers.

Status
Not open for further replies.