New build, need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

pyrodex

Dabbler
Been lurking a lot here and decided to replace my aging Areca Linux based system with a FreeNAS box.

Here are the details for my build:
  • Motherboard - X10SDV-7TP4F
  • Ram - 2 x Supermicro 32GB DDR4 PC4-19200 (2400MHz) 288p RDIMM
  • OS Drive - 2 x Sandisk 32GB Ultra Fit USB 3.0 Flash Drive
  • ?? - 2 x Intel Hard Drive 240GB SATA 6GB/s, 2.5in, 3D, TLC 7.0mm (3DWDP) - S4600 Series
  • ?? - Intel Hard Drive Optane 480GB PCIe x4, 1/2 height, 20nm, 3D Xpoint - 900P Series
  • Data Drives - 8 x Seagate Hard Drive 10TB SATA3 6Gbps, 7200RPM, 3.5in, 256MB Buffer, 4Kn SATA - ST10000NM0146
  • Case - Considering Fractal Node Arc Midi R2
  • UPS backup - Should give 10-20 minutes of run time and enough time to power down cleanly or prevent brown out situations
  • Power Supply (Have already) - CORSAIR CXM series CX430M 430W ATX12V v2.3
Usage:
  • General TimeMachine for Mac OS population in the home
  • Cyclical 1-2TB IP Camera storage for about 8 cameras producing 1080p/30fps footage
  • Backup storage, rsync'ed nightly, from another box of media such as TV shows/Movies
  • SMB storage for various things such as software, pictures, etc
  • iSCSI presented storage for an ESXi system for 10-20 VM backups performed weekly
  • Backup or node in a docker cluster running off the ESXi for redudancy
  • SYSLOG system for the entire network
  • Maybe realtime VM usage for testing purposes on the ESXi node

Some of the pieces I was able to get thanks to work so I have some decent parts here but here are my plans.

Now I plan to mirror the USB drives for a small piece of mind for the OS.
The system will be connected via a single SFP+ connection to a Cisco 4948E switch for 10G connectivity. With a few VLANs for the LAN and IoT (Cameras). VLANs should be ok and not drag down performance in any way right?
Was planning to do a raidz2 with the drives giving me some decent space and upgrade from my 24TB system now. I do want to have expandability and was planning down the road to convert the two remaining Mini SAS HD ports to external for an 8-bay drive cage system as needed for a second raidz2 vdev.

Issues:

What I don't know to do with the two SSDs and the PCIe SSD for the system. I was reading about SLOG/L2ARC and maybe using one of each SSD for that purpose and the PCIe for VM usage on the box. Do I cable the SSDs on the true SATA3 connections on the motherboard and not waste precious ports on the native LSI controller? Do I stripe the SSDs for the final purpose or leave them alone?

Any additional advice or information would be welcomed to make sure I am going down the right path and setting up this configuration to ensure I am getting optimal performance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.