DrKK is building a new FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The 75 buck sticker probably has something to do with it.

Stux

MVP
You're ignoring all the Beware-of-Kingston advice? Why not stick to RAM that's on Supermicro's QVL?

That is true, but also, there has been no reports of Kingston funny business in the DDR4 realm afaik

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
That is true, but also, there has been no reports of Kingston funny business in the DDR4 realm afaik
Precisely. Our concerns with Kingston are only on two product lines:

1) They screwed with us mildly/moderately on one of their 8GB DDR3 DIMM lines, a little bit of a bait and switch; that was about 2.5 years ago I think.
2) Their flash products (at least insofar as USB drives are concerned) have a lifespan of about 10 days in a FreeNAS. (Let me be specific: we are interested in nano-form-factor USB drives for FreeNAS. Theirs, which I believe they called a DT MICRO or something, was by *FAR* the least durable, and least reliable, of any that we were using, by so much of a margin, that we all started formally recommending avoiding Kingston flash drives in a FreeNAS).

I have always said that generally speaking, I have no qualms at all about the RAM Kingston sells, except for that one case listed above. And Kingston is always highly available in ECC DIMMs.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
ALSO: UPDATE.

I decided to increase the pimp on the new box.

https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Direct-Contact-Unique/dp/B01KBXKP8W/

Yes, I know what you're thinking: But DrKK, you got a more or less completely closed off Fractal Design R5 case. Yes. Yes I did. More than likely I will not be able to enjoy the mega pimp red LEDs on my CPU cooler. But the knowledge that I have a blingtastic CPU cooler, in a non-overclocked server, on a 55W TDP CPU, with a giant 120mm fan and a behind-the-mother-board support bracket? Just the knowledge that within the minimalistic white walls of the R5 lies this amazing cooler with red LEDs? Well, that's enough for me.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo

Stux

MVP
Watercooling can have an annoying pump whine ;)

At least with a stonking great big cooler, your cpu can run cooler, and then you can dial back the fans (see my Hybrid Fan Control script)

Sakuru

Guru
I love my R5. It's quiet and the filters mean the innards don't get very dusty. However, I do find myself pining for hotswap whenever I need to change a drive. Also, mine occasionally makes a loud sustained noise. I think the side panel got damaged in shipping. Most of the time it's quiet :D

Shhh! Don't use the term 'hotswap' in a @DrKK thread.
What is this "hotswap" you speak of..... Oh wait, HEY you better stay away from my wife.

@DrKK Bling Factor aside the CM Hyper 212 series is great for cooling in my book. You can put the screws to the CPU and it won't break a sweat, I have honestly thought about pulling the fans off of mine so that they would get a little warmer and make the board throttle the fans up some more and keep the drives cooler in the summer.

I probably would have been hitting up Ebay for a cpu though, they have some XEON E3-1220V5's for 125 vs the 210 it's selling for on Newegg.

c32767a

Patron
ALSO: UPDATE.
Yes, I know what you're thinking: But DrKK, you got a more or less completely closed off Fractal Design R5 case. Yes. Yes I did. More than likely I will not be able to enjoy the mega pimp red LEDs on my CPU cooler. But the knowledge that I have a blingtastic CPU cooler, in a non-overclocked server, on a 55W TDP CPU, with a giant 120mm fan and a behind-the-mother-board support bracket? Just the knowledge that within the minimalistic white walls of the R5 lies this amazing cooler with red LEDs? Well, that's enough for me.

I wonder about the real possibility the TDP on the lights and fan motor might be more than the CPU at idle.. :)

diedrichg

Wizard
More than likely I will not be able to enjoy the mega pimp red LEDs on my CPU cooler.
You'll get some LED light leak out the back. Her ass is going to glow in the dark against your wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.