Disk I/O write performance

Vertex

Cadet
The situation is as follows. I got an old QNAP TS-459 Pro II (Raid 5) and I would like to make backups of some folders with rsync (compression turned off) to
my freshly installed TrueNAS-13.0-U3.1 instance. TrueNAS is running in a VM on a HP Proliant Microserver Gen8. The TrueNAS VM got
three virtual HDs 50/900/900 GB (physical 4 old HDs), in TrueNAS the 900GB HDs are mirrored. So far so good, the network speed looks
very good (s.screenshot)

Bildschirm­foto 2023-01-14 um 09.16.58.png

but the disks write speed is awful low:

Bildschirm­foto 2023-01-14 um 09.14.11.png

The TrueNAS VM got 8 GB memory and it is the only VM runnung on the server. When I started the backup, the disks where completely empty.
btw, the situation looks almost the same when I use samba.

It is pretty obvious, that the bottleneck is the disk, but I have no idea what I can do to improve the performance. The ZFS memory consumption seems pretty aggressiv.

Bildschirm­foto 2023-01-14 um 09.16.31.png

I would be very happy if someone could point me in the right direction and give me some tuning tips - thank you in advance.

Alecmascot

Guru
The lan interface is in Megabits/second and the drives are in MegaBytes/second so it looks about right.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
TrueNAS CORE has a minimum memory requirement of 16GB. The system would likely go faster with more memory.

truenas-16gb.png

Also, not quite clear on how you are managing this trick on a Proliant Gen8 uServer. Please describe your hypervisor and setup, as it seems likely to be suboptimal. How did you pass thru the HDD controller?

Davvo

MVP
You want at least 16GB of RAM (especially for SCALE users btw).
Also why did you turn compression off? It's quite efficent.

Edit: looks like jgreco beat me.

Last edited:

ChrisRJ

Wizard

Vertex

Cadet
@Alecmascot
Ups, you are right, I totally overlooked the different units Thank you,

@jgreco @Davvo
Mhm, that's bad, I thought I could give the old hardware a second life, at least for a while, but it turns out, that it does not make sense, it is too slow to be useful. TrueNAS looks pretty nice, I guess I am gonna put together some nice energy effiicient, and fast hardware for it.

@ChrisRJ
I know, it is just a temporary solution, I normally wouldn't run a NAS as virtual machine. The idea was to get familliar with TrueNAS.

Thank you very much for your quick response.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Mhm, that's bad, I thought I could give the old hardware a second life, at least for a while, but it turns out, that it does not make sense, it is too slow to be useful.

I know there's a lot of bullchip YouTube junk about making your PC from 20 years ago into a NAS, but in practice there's a lot of issues with trying to do so.