Hello,

I am using following configuration:

HP Microserver Gen8
- 16 GB RAM
- XEON E3 CPU
- internal USB for ESXi
- SSD for VMs (also TrueNAS)
- HDDs as datastores

Up to now I used Win 2012 Server VM as my Backup destination / mediaserver and so on. Now I want to try TrueNAS on ESXi as my central storage. Beside the TrueNAS VM, there are some different small VMs (on one more different SSD). Performance is one of my goals, as I dont know why with Server2012 I sometimes I get 110MB/s copy speed, sometimes only 60 MB/s. So I will give TrueNas a try. At the end I will buy two new disks, and will configure them as a mirror in TrueNas , mybe I will move also my Nextcloud as Plugin to this VM - IF tests of performance is ok (I would expect 100 MB/s for large files, as I have seen this on this configuration). Unfortunately at the moment it is absolut not.

TrueNAS got 8 GB RAM, 2 vCPUs, SSD for OS, 2 VMDKs as DataStorage (HDDs, but for testing also a SSD)

Unfortunately the speed is poor. If I copy from one VM to TrueNAS Share (SMB, different physical disks!), It got speed between 100MB and 2 MB/s in one copy. It is fluctuating - you can see it in the screenshot. Dedup / Compression is switched off. Its much slower, as using my Windows Share, where I get at least flat 60 MB/s.

Something what I did really wrong?

Cheers
ThePhantom

Attachments

• Copy.JPG
    Copy.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 165

JBOD

Cadet
I'm having a simlar probem... I've been searching the net for a few days for a solution.
I'm geting on average 42MB or worse... Which is so rubbish.

Its bad on SMB and via the spare Sata port inside the Gen 8 while trying to import disks - I'm also new to TrueNas but I've been planning this move from Windows for a while.

I'm using a SSD via USB on the internal USB port, however, I've also tried the OS directly on an SSD. No dedup or compresssion and AHCI set in BIOS

So. I'm also, at a totally loss and its holding back my build. My feeling is that its a driver issue.

My next test will be with a HBA card that I have in IT mode and see what happens with that...

Tools I've used so far and have helped...
-SmartCtl
-iPerf
-iostat

Not a fan of.
-Jumbo Frames for MTU

I hope thats helps in some way.

If I find anything I'll pop back.

JBOD

Cadet
Sorry for the delay - mad busy with life stuff...

I'm running on bare metal - but I've think i've solved my issue, I think i have a fautly drive. (They all past the standard tests, i.e smartctl)

I pulled the 4x8TB and put in a 1TB and its magic, over 100MB on video files - that is with and with compression, I'm on lz4 but also with gzip, same speeds

Next test is to plug in one drive at a time and see if I have failing disk. Then I'll ma as well try ESXI as I'll have time with with my RTM broken drive - then install TrueNAS-Scale.

If I find anything bad I'll report back - but if you have a spare rusty drive, I suggest you test with just the one disk.

Good luck