Disk configuration with existing drives

rocktale

Cadet
Hi there,

I feel like I have read all articles and recommendation on how to setup and configure a storage pool with TrueNAS and ZFS. And for the most part, I guess I have a fairly good understanding. I have already a nice server setup including an HBA for up to 16 drives and TrueNAS core is already running (within Proxmox, yeah - I know) with a pool of 4 old SSDs as two mirror vdevs (2x500GB, 2x1TB).

In addition, I want to add a larger pool based on 3,5" hard drives. Right now, I have 3x4TB WD Red (from 2019, CMR) in a Linux SW-Raid5 (=8TB total storage) in my old system plus another 3TB as a scratchpad for anything that is not important. I don't have a need for a huge storage pool, I was thinking about 16TB usable storage for the new system - more would also be fine. If possible, I'd like to reuse the old drives as well but this is not a must.

Here are some ideas, I came up with:

1. Get another 5 of 4TB drives... start with 4 (again as mirror vdevs), copy the data from the older server over, and then add the old 3 plus the 5th new drive as another two mirror leading to 4 mirror vdevs with a total capacity of 16TB. I guess, this would give me the best read and write performance, short resilver times and reasonable fault tolerance - unless both drives of one vdev would fail. Another plus is the fact, that the mirror configuration is easier to extend.
  2. Get only 3 additional 4TB drives, copy the data somewhere else (backup!) and then create a raidz2 with the 6 drives (3 new, 3 old). Means fewer drives but less performance, longer resilver times and the external backup as a potential point of failure.
  3. Get a set - most probably 4 (mirror vdevs) or 6 (raidz2) - of new drives and forget the 3 old drives (or create a separate pool with a raidz1 with them for less critical data).

Did I miss anything? Do you have a preference and if so - why?

Budgetwise there is no hard limit but I also don't want to spend a ton of money for something I don't really need. ;-)

Thanks in advance.

Davvo

MVP
Either option 1 or 2 is good, choice mostly depends on use case and future expansion.