Drives upgrades - Best way to do it

Dergonic

Cadet
Hi

I'd like to upgrade my HomeLab TrueNAS setup, but I'm not sure how I should do it.

My current situation is the Follow. I run the last version (TrueNAS-12.0-U3) on a custom hardware.
I have a Dual bootpool (2*SSD 120Gb) and one unique storage pool with a bunch of old drives (RAID Z2 with 8*2Tb HDD on PCIe HBA card + 256Gb M.2 NVME cache on the motherboard).
On those drive, I have one unique pool with 2 vdev. One is Isos for my proxmox and the other is my main data share
I'm using about 1.5Tb of raw datas on the share and less that 500Gb on the proxmox

I'd like to change my storage drives to 3 brand new 6Tb HDD on raid Z1
The plan is
- to use more recent drives (Some 2Tb are failing - reporting unreadable sectors)
- to use less drives (to spare some money on my electricity bill)
- to have room for additional capacity later
Of course, I want to keep all current shares, datas and so on.

I was thinking of 2 plans :

Plan 1 : New HBA card and new pool
- I can purchase a simple PCIe HBA card and add the 3 new drives on this card
- Then setup a new pool
- Reconfigure all shares and mapping
- Move all datas to the new pool
- decommission old drives and the old HBA card
--> This solution require a HBA card just for the migration time and a full reconfiguration I would have love to avoid

Plan 2 : Expand the current pool and then reduce - possible ?
I would have loved to get a solution approaching this :
- Convert raid Z2 to Z1
- reducing the pool to 3*2Tb HDD (The data volume should be ok on ~3.5Tb storage) and disconnect the other drives
- replacing one 2Tb drive with one 6Tb and reconstruct raid Z1
- replacing second and third 2tb drive with 6Tb drives the same way (one at a time)
- expand the pool to use the full 6Tb storage of each disk to reach the ~11.5Tb storage

Is plan2 anyhow possible or do you have another idea on how I can do the changes ?

Thanks

sretalla