LSI 9201-16i 6Gbps 16P SAS HBA P19 IT Mode ZFS FreeNAS unRAID ??????

rivey

Contributor
I have been having trouble with my TrueNAS 13.0 server. It keeps throwing hard drive errors and I am suspecting a problem with the HBA card.
Motherboard Supermicro X11SSH-CTF-B LGA1151
Hard drives 3 Pools Pool 1 - 5 Western Digital 10TB WD Red Plus Pool 2 - 5 older Western Digital 8TB WD Red and Pool 3 - 2 WD 3TB WD Red
Also the boot pool is 1 SSD drives mirrored on the motherboards internal sata ports.
The current HBA card is a SAS9207-8i along with the HBA ports on the motherboard.

What I want to do is use the LSI 9201-16i 6Gbps 16P SAS HBA P19 IT Mode ZFS FreeNAS unRAID card to replace the existing HBA card (SAS9207-8i) so all drives can be on the new card since I only have have the one slot on the MB. The purpose for this server is primarily for Plex and media storage and also for backing up my desktop machine and my laptop.

So the question is will this work and if not, recommendations????

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
It should work, but it will run hotter than the old card, and draw more power. Is your power supply large enough? Do you have enough case ventilation?

rivey

Contributor
It should work, but it will run hotter than the old card, and draw more power. Is your power supply large enough? Do you have enough case ventilation?
It should all be good.
Plenty of ventilation and the power supply has enough power.
Thanks, Bob Ivey

rivey

Contributor
LSI 9400-16i SAS SATA HBA CARD 12 Gbps PCIe NVME 16 Port Tri-Mode HDD Controller
How would this card be?? Does it use lower power??? It is about twice the price. Both cars are from Texas and both are new.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
LSI 9400-16i SAS SATA HBA CARD 12 Gbps PCIe NVME 16 Port Tri-Mode HDD Controller
How would this card be?? Does it use lower power??? It is about twice the price. Both cars are from Texas and both are new.
No, this would draw more power, because it needs to support NVMe drives, which also contributes to the extra cost.

rivey

Contributor
No, this would draw more power, because it needs to support NVMe drives, which also contributes to the extra cost.
Thanks for the info. That will save me $200.00.