dell330 mini still needs flashing to it?

spkour

Cadet
Hi all
I kno wth general advice to flash h330mini to hba330min (it mode) but wanted to know whether this is still necessary. I have a Dell r530 with h330min in HBA mode (latest FW by Dell 25.5.9.0001) running Proxmox 8.1.3. I cannot seem to pass the PCI device to Truenas ( which is detected as MegaRAID card - IOMMU working) as I cannot get the VM to start but I can pass the individual disks (qm set xxxx). I have installed Truenas Scale and everything seems to be ok (smart status relayed to Truenas or so I think)

Should I do something else? flash or just keep it like that?

TIA

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I kno wth general advice to flash h330mini to hba330min (it mode) but wanted to know whether this is still necessary
Yes, the H330 firmware is configured in a brain-dead, performance-destroying way.
I cannot seem to pass the PCI device to Truenas
That's not likely to be a problem due to it being an H330 instead of an HBA330. It is, however, a big problem.
I can pass the individual disks (qm set xxxx). I have installed Truenas Scale and everything seems to be ok (smart status relayed to Truenas or so I think)
Big no. That configuration is known to cause data loss.

Davvo

MVP

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Also and possibly more relevantly because what you have right now is a really moronic grade RAID controller:

Failure to follow the virtualization and HBA guidelines is a quick way for your pool to develop a fatal "leak".

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I wonder who even bought H330s back in the day. Surely Dell would do their best to upsell to an H730, and the average Dell customer doesn't even know that the H330 exists.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I wonder who even bought H330s back in the day. Surely Dell would do their best to upsell to an H730, and the average Dell customer doesn't even know that the H330 exists.

I ran into a pile of R210-ii's that had... I wanna say an H310 in each one, connected to a single internal drive. Upselling. Ptui.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Oof, the bad ol' days. These days the HBAs are just hidden behind arcane maneuvers in the configurator, but they will sell them, they'll even sell plain SATA on some machines with fewer bays. First time I ordered from Dell, I begrudgingly took an H740P because I was gaslit into thinking R6515s weren't sold with HBAs. Not only are they sold with HBA330s, they're sold with the new model that uses a SAS3808 - HBA355 I think - to keep the HBAs flowing after Broadcom shuts down sales of the SAS3008.
They're actually decently competitive if you circumvent any decisions the sales rep may need to make and don't buy storage...