SOLVED Failing to boot after flashing Dell H310 (full) to IT mode

troonas

Dabbler
Hi there everyone,

I'm currently trying to get TrueNAS up and running on an older SuperMicro machine with a X8DT3-LN4F motherboard and Dell H310 card. I was able to get everything installed without issue, but wanted to flash the RAID card into IT mode to give ZFS direct access to the drives.

I was able to do that successfully following this guide. I had to modify the "H310" script slightly to not see the old hardware RAID built into the mobo that I don't want to use (i.e. just an additional grep for 2008 when populating the PCI address) and it ran perfectly. The card and the disks connected to it are visible in the Linux flash distro.

Now here is where I run into problems. When booting TrueNAS, it gets stuck here attempting to (I think?) reset the RAID card.

Does anyone know how to fix this? I tried booting a generic FreeBSD install disk to see if this was TrueNAS specific, and it also seems to get stuck with the exact same thing.

Any ideas on how I might fix this? My random guess would be the particular firmware that distro loads isn't FreeBSD compatible, but I honestly have no idea. I can provide additional details if necessary. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20211210_00h11m52s_grim.png
    20211210_00h11m52s_grim.png
    38.6 KB · Views: 223

troonas

Dabbler
So I resolved it. Not sure which of the following fixed it, but this is what I did:
- Disabled the onboard SAS through the jumpers (thought I had, but I guess not).
- Moved the H310 card to a different PCIe slot.

After that, everything now works perfectly. Yay!