Degraded Mirrored SSD's during installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanJask

Dabbler
I have loaded Freenas on two SSDs and get a degraded message in the GUI. If I load Freenas on to each drive separately the system shows healthy. Is there something I am doing wrong, should I try to mirror the drive after the first drive installation?

kdragon75

Wizard
Had you done a full burnin on both drives? If so what were the full results?

kdragon75

Wizard
from what I can tell that SAS expander is SAS1 only and may have odd issues with newer drives...

AlanJask

Dabbler
Had you done a full burnin on both drives? If so what were the full results?
How would I go about doing a full burnin? The SSDS are in SATA0 and SATA1 on the MB.

kdragon75

Wizard
Please search the forum as this has been covered many times.

pschatz100

Guru
It is not really necessary to mirror SSD boot drives as long as you keep backups of your configuration.

Stux

MVP
You don’t burn in SSDs.

kdragon75

Wizard
I always figured a full test was still advisable. Is there a correct way to verify the media and durability of an SSD?

AlanJask

Dabbler
I used an SSD as the boot drive. I may try to mirror the second later, or just back up the config file. Do you back up the config file once then remove the flash drive, or is this an ongoing backup?

kdragon75

Wizard
there is a script somewhere on the forum you can add as a cron job that backs it up to your pool every so often.

AlanJask

Dabbler
there is a script somewhere on the forum you can add as a cron job that backs it up to your pool every so often.
That would be a separate pool, flash drive or a hard drive separate from your zfs raided pools?

kdragon75

Wizard
Technically any location you like. I just store it on my main pool. If needed, I can reinstall and.. I just realised there's no option to restore the config from the console.. derp. Still it's there and safe.

pschatz100

Guru
I used an SSD as the boot drive. I may try to mirror the second later, or just back up the config file. Do you back up the config file once then remove the flash drive, or is this an ongoing backup?
I back up the config file any time I make a significant change and then once a month (more-or-less). I back up to another computer, which in my case is a Windows machine. It takes less than 5 minutes.

I don't store it on my FreeNAS machine because, if I have to do a clean install from scratch, then I can complete the installation and have the system ready to go before mounting my data. It is just easier that way.

Don't overthink this...

kdragon75

Wizard
I back up the config file any time I make a significant change and then once a month (more-or-less). I back up to another computer, which in my case is a Windows machine. It takes less than 5 minutes.

I don't store it on my FreeNAS machine because, if I have to do a clean install from scratch, then I can complete the installation and have the system ready to go before mounting my data. It is just easier that way.

Don't overthink this...
Yeah, a basic config backup to pool and ability to restore the config during install or from the console would make too much sense. Thanks ixsystems!

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
Yeah, a basic config backup to pool and ability to restore the config during install or from the console would make too much sense. Thanks ixsystems!

Feel free to write a feature request.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

pschatz100

Guru
The GUI makes it very easy to save a backup copy of the configuration to the location of your choice, and also provides a way to restore a backup. Both the old GUI and the new GUI offer this...

If the configuration backup is on one of your pools, how do you do a restore in the event of a system crash and fresh install? You would have to finish the install, mount the proper pool, then recover the configuration. Seems to me that it makes more sense to finish the install, restore the configuration, then mount your data.

Status
Not open for further replies.