CRITICAL: The boot volume state is DEGRADED with Mirrored USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

msbxa

Contributor
I just need some assistance. This is my first failure of my boot drive that I need a little help. i got this message early morning:

CRITICAL: The boot volume state is DEGRADED: One or more devices could not be opened. Sufficient replicas exist for the pool to continue functioning in a degraded state. All my Drive are showing online and healthy.

[root@freenas ~]# zpool status -x
pool: freenas-boot
state: DEGRADED
status: One or more devices could not be opened. Sufficient replicas exist for
the pool to continue functioning in a degraded state.
action: Attach the missing device and online it using 'zpool online'.
see: http://illumos.org/msg/ZFS-8000-2Q
scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0h5m with 0 errors on Mon Mar 30 03:50:11 2015
config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
freenas-boot DEGRADED 0 0 0
mirror-0 DEGRADED 0 0 0
ada0p2 ONLINE 0 0 0
7361669271821273645 UNAVAIL 0 0 0 was /dev/da6p2

errors: No known data errors

My question here:

1- which drive is defaulted here the mirrored or the default drive.
2- How to fix this?
3- Can I just remove the defaulted drive and insert the new one?

D

dlavigne

The failed drive should show in the screen shown in Figure 5.3b of the 9.3 docs. Highlight the bad device in order to access its Replace button.

msbxa

Contributor
I bought 2 new USB 16GB to replaced the faulted one and I first try to attach one of them to create the third mirrored boot device with no luck getting the following error: failed to attach disk: cannot attach da6p2 to ada0p2: device is too small??? How come its too small and also when i tried to replaced the faulted one it gives me the same error with device is too small. Any ideas?

D

dlavigne

Yeah, if you scroll down a bit in the docs you'll see this note:

Note: when adding another boot device, it must be the same size (or larger) as the existing boot device. Different models of USB devices which advertise the same size may not necessarily be the same size. For this reason, it is recommended to use the same model of USB drive.

Assuming your 2 new drives are the same model and size, in your case it may be easier to backup the config using System -> General -> Save Config, do a fresh install of the latest stable on the 2 new devices, and restoring the config.

msbxa

Contributor
The only way right now is to try another trick and get a 32GB USB and see what will happen. Another question about fresh install on new device and restoring the config. can you verify the following procedure if they are right?
1- Shutdown Freenas
2- Remove all old boot drive and put this fresh new install boot drive.
3- Restart the FreeNAS without config.db.
4- Upload or restore config db

Does FreeNAS complain when I start my freenas without config db or file?

D

dlavigne

The only way right now is to try another trick and get a 32GB USB and see what will happen. Another question about fresh install on new device and restoring the config. can you verify the following procedure if they are right?
1- Shutdown Freenas
2- Remove all old boot drive and put this fresh new install boot drive.
3- Restart the FreeNAS without config.db.
4- Upload or restore config db

Correct.

Does FreeNAS complain when I start my freenas without config db or file?

Nope.

msbxa

Contributor
Ok, I replaced with higher capacity 32GB USB and now green light is back and all pool are healthy. Thanks man appreciated. FYI, the default boot drive is a 16GB SSD not equal to 16GB USB flash drive.

RonRN18

Dabbler
I too have just found the error. I have two identical USB thumbdrives mirrored. They are in side-by-side ports. The one that is failed has a long numerical number as its identifier and the one that is working is "da8p2." I guess I will have to go get another identical thumbdrive but my question is, first, since I don't know physically which is which, can I pull one out when the machine is running? Second, once the good remaining drive is in with a replacement, will I be prompted to "resilver" the new drive or will it do so automatically? The error just occurred and I am managing my FreeNAS remotely, so there is nothing I can do about it at this particular moment, but want as short of a downtime as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.