Swap install on usb boot drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPL150JB

Dabbler
Power glitch degraded both mirrored usb boot drives. Still working but want to try and resolve before it dies completely. I have a few other usb drive for testing.

Installed freenas 11.1U6 onto a new usb drive (what is running on current usb), inserted into system as sole usb drive, system installed/came up working no longer degraded. Now the volume shows that its locked. Before I removed the old usb drive I saved the config and uploaded to the new. From the forums I read this is all that should have been required.

I am pretty sure I did not encrypt the volume as I did not want to deal with that again (tried it once before).

I am currently trying to get one of the old usb boots drives to boot up again but no success yet.

-JB

SPL150JB

Dabbler
After multiple power down/start up with old usb boot drives neither will boot. Unless someone has any ideas how to make the old usb's work, it seems as though my only option is to figure out how to unlock the volume. I will be searching for any files I may have saved.

SPL150JB

Dabbler
After multiple power down/start up with old usb boot drives neither will boot. Unless someone has any ideas how to make the old usb's work, it seems as though my only option is to figure out how to unlock the volume. I will be searching for any files I may have saved.

No saved files found.

SPL150JB

Dabbler
Well without any assistance from the FreeNas Community, for any future nooberinos, when installing freenas onto a FRESH/UNUSED usb you will need the current configuration file, volume keys, and encryption key (if applicable).

If your boot drive is degraded, you can upgrade the current degraded drive by creating a Freenas installer usb and "upgrade" the degraded drive. This will preserve all current configurations and keys.

Status
Not open for further replies.