Trouble rebuilding USB boot disks

pincorrect

Dabbler
I have a FreeNAS 9.10 system. I actually want to upgrade it to 11.2 this week, but before I do, I need to fix an issue with my boot drives, which are 32gb USB drives (Samsung). I have two mirrored drives. But I noticed that one of them became defective, and so my boot array status shows as "Degraded". I bought 2 new 64gb USB drives (Sandisk this time). First, I removed the bad 32gb drive and plugged in one of the two new drives, and rebooted FreeNAS. Then I went to the Web interface, and to the System|Boot section and brought up the Status. It showed a long number code for the removed drive (instead of the device name) with the status "UNAVAIL". I hit the "Replace" button at the bottom, and it offered one device choice for the new 64gb drive. I proceeded to build that drive. Then it showed me 3 drives in the Status display, my good 32gb drive, the new drive, and the old, removed, 32gd drive with status "UNAVAIL". I selected that one and hit the "Detach" button. Now the status of my 2 drive array was good ("ONLINE"), and consisted of my old, still working 32gb drive, and one new 64gb drive. To be sure, I rebooted FreeNAS, and it was fine.

However I had purchased 2 new 64gb drives because I wanted to have identical boot drives. So I pulled out the old 32gb drive, plugged in my second new 64gb drive, and followed a procedure similar to the one about to copy the boot image onto it from the first new 64gb drive, and to remove the old 32gb drive from the array. In the end, the two new drives were in, and the status show everything was good ("ONLINE").

So I rebooted again. But I did not get very far. It displayed "Reboot and Select proper Boot Device or Insert Boot Media and press a key.". So it will not boot with my new 64gb drives. I removed both, reinserted my one good 32gb drive, and rebooted. Now I am back to square one, with a degraded array having one good drive (the old 32gb drive).

What did I do wrong? How do I migrate my one good boot image to the 2 new 64gb drives?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I think you need to look into your BIOS settings and select the 64GB sticks specifically.

You should be able to just shut down, take out the 32GB, put in the 64GBs and boot to BIOS, select the sticks and boot.

pincorrect

Dabbler
Ah, that makes sense. But may I check on one thing? When I went to my bios (It's a Supermicro single Xeon X9xxx with the AMI bios), I have a wide variety of USB devices in the boot list. First of all, I have UEFI and legacy versions of each of them. (E.g. "UEFI USB Drive", "USB Drive", etc.) So my first question is, when the 9.10 installer created my boot pool during the installation, did it create UEFI or legacy bootable drives? Maybe I can take half of them off the boot list, either the UEFI or the legacy ones, to simplify matters.

Second question, in addition to "USB Drives" on the boot list, I have "USB Keys". What's a USB Key, and how is it different than a USB Drive?

I think your suggestion is great, and to make it as straightforward as possible, I think I should just put the USB drives on the boot list, plus maybe the CDROM at the end for running installations.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Without being able to answer for each of the devices specifically, there are many ways that USB key manufacturers and Motherboard manufacturers can present the different kinds of controllers that USB keys use and there's no single standard for how it should work. Some present themselves as floppy drives, others as hard disks, others as USB disks... you'll have to use the information in front of you as presented by the BIOS and decide.

The default for FreeNAS is BIOS, not UEFI (and UEFI can be hard to get to work), so my guess is unless you already know that it was UEFI, it's not.

Hope that helps.

pincorrect

Dabbler
Sure does. I figured it would good to eliminate the unneeded boot options.

The other route I might have taken would have been to save my config, which I back up anyway, mount the 2 new USB drives and the original 9.10 installation iso (via IPMI), install 9.10 on the new USB drives, creating a 2 drive pool, then upload the saved config to it. But I wanted to try out the mirrored disk rebuild method.

I'll see if fixing the boot list makes that work.

Many thanks for your help!

sretalla