SOLVED Freenas 9.10 Unable to boot from fresh install USB stick

Status
Not open for further replies.

thaFaxGuy

Dabbler
I am doing a fresh install Freenas 9.10 on a Acer Veriton M4 series (without any luck).
I have done the following:
1. Boot FreeNas 9.10 ISO from a DVD and install to a USB drive. The install reported successful. However, the system fails to boot from the USB "Can't find the boot disk".

2. Boot FreeNas 9.10 ISO from a USB drive and install to another USB drive. Again, the install reported successful. However, the system fails to boot from the USB "Can't find the boot disk".

3. Boot FreeNas 9.3 ISO from a USB drive and install to another USB drive. Again, the install reported successful. However, the system fails to boot from the USB "Can't find the boot disk".

This I know/verify:
- I can boot from a USB drive on the system (with both ISO images)
- Both installs say that they were successful
- Used different USB sticks for installed boot
- The system won't boot from the installed USB sticks (this is my problem). The same stick will boot with the ISO image.

Have anyone had this issue?
Does anyone have any advice?

Setup Configuration:
- DVD with FreeNAS-9.10-STABLE-201603252134.iso
- USB stick with FreeNAS-9.10-STABLE-201603252134.iso or FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201506292332.iso
- 8 and 4 GB USB sticks use for the installed boot drive.
- Acer Veriton M4 Series, iCore5, 8GB Ram, NO HD installed(currently)

Thanks for your help.

Sakuru

Guru

thaFaxGuy

Dabbler
Thanks for your response. I think you are on the right track, however the system does not have that option.
As you have noted, I believed the issue points to the BIOS on my system. I was able to verify that the FreeNas image and USB stick does work.
However for this system (Acer Veriton M4618G) the BIOS is the problem. I need to replace the Windows centric BIOS with a UNIX/LINUX centric BIOS.

If anyone is able to install FreeNas on an Acer Veriton M4618G, please let me know how you did it.

Thanks.

thaFaxGuy

Dabbler
This was solve by using a different system.
Avoid using Acer system with bios which are for only windows OS (ex. P01-A3), you will need machines that have the LINUX bios (ex. P01-A3L).

Status
Not open for further replies.