Fresh install fails

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wruin

Cadet
This is a fresh install of FreeNAS, and I do not know what I am doing. My understanding is I am supposed to install the FreeNAS .iso onto a CD or a USB drive, boot off that drive, and install FreeNAS onto a different USB drive. I have installed the FreeNAS .iso image on two different USB sticks and burned it to a CD. All my optical drives are IDE, and my motherboard only supports SATA, so I used a USB converter to boot off the CD. I tried both version 11 x64 images and the released version 10 x64. I am able to boot and to start the install. Then I get several errors.

ACPI BIOS Warning (bug): Optional FADT field Pm2ControlBlock has valid Lenght but zero Address: 0x00

Module_register_init: MOD_LOAD (vesa, 0xffffffff80fa9d40, 0) error 19

I'm not sure which error is significant.

I spent hours on this yesterday, so I have tried creating images six ways from Sunday. I created my boot disks using Windows 10 using both ImageWriter and Rufus. The MS USB/DVD Download Tool says the .iso is not valid. I can't boot when I burn an .iso with Rufus, but I can when I burn a DD. I cannot find a legacy setting in my BIOS.

Any help is much appreciated.

Attachments

• 2017-08-20 16.39.34_small.jpg
    2017-08-20 16.39.34_small.jpg
    396.8 KB · Views: 304
Last edited by a moderator:

Wruin

Cadet
I see now that an Intel CPU is recommended. I am using an AMD A6-3650 and I only have 4 GB of RAM. I was trying to repurpose an old HTPC. Maybe I should just suck it up and buy a new motherboard and chip.

Last edited:

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I believe this is an FM1 Llano APU from AMD. Definitely not recommended, but still, should work.

I am a little confused by your procedure. This is what I recommend:

1) Take the FreeNAS .iso, and burn it (imgburn, whatever software) to an actual CD.
2) Insert one or more USB sticks that are blank or whatever. Boot that CD. It's cool if it's a USB bridge or whatever.
3) Install onto the USB sticks, as per the installation menu
4) Remove the CD.
5) Make sure you can boot your USB stick(s) in BIOS
6) Boot.

I would expect it to work with an FM1 socket and 4GB, even though this is surely not a recommended hardware choice.

Wruin

Cadet
I already attempted to do it the way you recommend. My results using a CD were the same as when I used a USB drive.

I gave up and bought a new motherboard, chip, and RAM. I burned the .iso to a USB drive. I booted off that USB drive and installed to another USB drive. It worked perfectly, and I am up and running.

Thank you for responding to my post. I am not sure if I should mark this resolved. I no longer need help, but that is because of a work around and not because I solved my problem with the old hardware.

Last edited:

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I already attempted to do it the way you recommend. My results using a CD were the same as when I used a USB drive.

I gave up and bought a new motherboard, chip, and RAM. I burned the .iso to a USB drive. I booted off that USB drive and installed to another USB drive. It worked perfectly, and I am up and running.

Thank you for responding to my post. I am not sure if I should mark this resolved. I no longer need help, but that is because of a work around and not because I solved my problem with the old hardware.
It would be nice to identify precisely what the problem was, just for future reference, and in case anyone has similar equipment.

Wruin

Cadet
I completely agree, but I spent hours trying to resolve it already, and now the hardware is sitting in a box. Thank you again for trying to solve this.

Status
Not open for further replies.