SOLVED 11.2 BETA1 Upgrade and Fresh Install

Brer

Explorer
I do apologise in advance if I've glaringly missed something.

I'm having trouble first with the upgrade from U5 to BETA1 and second from a fresh install using CD and USB.

Firstly, the upgrade: upgraded via the old UI, upgrade went well with no errors, system rebooted and standard BSD screen new colouring appears. All going well. However, it then seems to import the data_set and also do the upgrade and migration of the database. I'm not sure if this is significant but I'm sure in the past it just went ahead with the upgrade with importing the dataset.

Anyway, the upgrade seems to work and the system then reboots as normal but I get the following error at boot.

Code:
Loading Operating System...
gptzfsboot: error 128 lba 60062488
gptzfsboot: error 128 lba 1
\
Can't find /boot/zfsloader

FreeBSD/x86 boot
Default: nas_data:/boot/kernel/kernel
boot:
\
Can't find /boot/kernel/kernel

FreeBSD/x86 boot
Default: nas_data:/boot/kernel/kernel
boot:

I have searched the error but nothing relates to a later FreeNAS install and I can't seem to find a solution.

Secondly I thought a fresh install we fix it as it normally does. I am however having issues with the ISO writing for some reason.

I first wrote the ISO to USB using Rufus and it doesn't even boot, gives me read errors. I then burned the same ISO to CD - which takes an age :) - this gives me SCSI errors when trying to identify the CD at boot time and just continues to cycle through mount cd1.

I then tried unetbootin and also the dd method, unetbootin doesn't even boot into the image and I had more success with dd but still didn't get past initial boot, can't exactly remember the error, sorry.

I'm going to download a fresh ISO as it could have been just a bad download.

Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. I successfully re-installed U5 with no issues, I also upgrade to the nightlies and got the same boot error.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dlavigne

wrt the failed update, please create a ticket at bugs.freenas.org and attach a debug to it (System -> Advanced -> Save debug).

Brer

Explorer
wrt the failed update, please create a ticket at bugs.freenas.org and attach a debug to it (System -> Advanced -> Save debug).

Thanks for the response but after the update I cannot get back to UI without installing U5 which doesn't then give me a debug. I'll raise a ticket regardless.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
gptzfsboot: error 128 lba 60062488
This suggests bad media. Although it is unlikely that this would be the exact same error on both USB and CD. If you can, please verify whether the same message and LBA number appear on both. If it is the same, that would indicate a bug. If it's different, could just be the unlikely but possible situation of a bad USB stick and a bad CD.

Brer

Explorer
This suggests bad media. Although it is unlikely that this would be the exact same error on both USB and CD. If you can, please verify whether the same message and LBA number appear on both. If it is the same, that would indicate a bug. If it's different, could just be the unlikely but possible situation of a bad USB stick and a bad CD.

The error is from the boot USB disk after the installation has happened and not from the installation media. I will check this out though by installing to another USB stick, it is quite possible that the new boot loader is actually highlighting that the disk is bad.

n0one

Cadet
having same issue in BETA1, only different error msg
gptzfsboot: error 32 lba 1

Tried upgrading from web and fresh install, had to go back to fresh install of U5

Supermicro X8DTi, 2x Intel Xeon X5550

* tested nightly and same problem

Last edited:

Brer

Explorer
I have tried installing onto a different target media to no avail, this was with a fresh USB flash drive and then with an external HD, both gave the same error. Reverting back to U5 without issues. Still can't upgrade via the web front end.

Kruger

Cadet
having same issue in BETA1, only different error msg
gptzfsboot: error 32 lba 1

Tried upgrading from web and fresh install, had to go back to fresh install of U5

Supermicro X8DTi, 2x Intel Xeon X5550

* tested nightly and same problem

Experienced the same issue after changing train from U5 to 11.2 Stable (BETA1?) and manually installing updates
Received the following error on reboot: gptzfsboot error 4 lba 234441248
Reinstalled Freenas from U4 iso - updated to U5 with no issues - Changed train to 11.2 Stable again and ran updates - issue reoccurred.

zdrouse

Cadet
I am also facing this issue. I'm a little new to the intricacies of dealing with zfs / freebsd / freenas upgrades - the recommendation here is to fresh install U5?

Kruger

Cadet
I am also facing this issue. I'm a little new to the intricacies of dealing with zfs / freebsd / freenas upgrades - the recommendation here is to fresh install U5?

Yes, U5 is stable and runs well.
If you're not keen on losing any configurations/settings you may have had prior to the 11.2 upgrade - then during the reinstall process select the option to upgrade existing installation which retains previous configuration.

zdrouse

Cadet
Yes, U5 is stable and runs well.
If you're not keen on losing any configurations/settings you may have had prior to the 11.2 upgrade - then during the reinstall process select the option to upgrade existing installation which retains previous configuration.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I was not presented with portion of the wizard that recognizes existing installation and I'm doing a fresh install. I really hope that doesn't mean i lost my media data.

zdrouse

Cadet
Well, my fresh install did not appear to end well. I chose the 16 GB flash disk that the FreeNAS Mini comes with for installation, it said it completed and verified it is set as first boot option and now I get this. I did choose UEFI option for install, not sure if that matters but I will check my BIOS settings as well.

gFXkIYC.png

EDIT: Actually I cannot seem to enter BIOS now or Boot Options with F2 / F11. Any ideas?

Actually I cannot seem to enter BIOS now or Boot Options with F2 / F11. Any ideas?

It probably isn't what you want to hear, but this is caused by the BIOS choosing to boot from the HDD first instead of the USB device. I don't see your system specs in the earlier post which would make it easier to suggest a course of action. If it is a separate SAS/SATA controller, you could try disabling the BIOS in the controller settings. That would make it stop offering itself to the system BIOS as a boot device. I am making an inference that you are connecting to this system remotely somehow. Perhaps that application isn't doing a good job passing through function key presses during the boot process. Is it possible to get direct to the console somehow and try getting into the BIOS?

zdrouse

Cadet
I was able to spam F2 to get into the BIOS and re-install FreeNAS using BIOS instead of UEFI. I just imported my NAS zfs volume, it shows 0% usage. Seems to me like all my media is gone? :( 5 TB of data down the drain. It doesn't make sense to me why the drives would have been wiped of data.

I just imported my NAS zfs volume, it shows 0% usage. Seems to me like all my media is gone?

That is not normally how things happen. One of the great things about how FreeNAS does stuff is the boot volume and configuration (assuming they are different devices) are independent. If you imported the volume, but nothing was there then the files must have been deleted. Were the files directly on the volume or part of a jail? Again, that isn't normally how FreeNAS acts.

zdrouse

Cadet
That is not normally how things happen. One of the great things about how FreeNAS does stuff is the boot volume and configuration (assuming they are different devices) are independent. If you imported the volume, but nothing was there then the files must have been deleted. Were the files directly on the volume or part of a jail? Again, that isn't normally how FreeNAS acts.

They were on the zfs volume right here in the screenshot below.

cv22n7p.png

This did not say 0% prior to my issues with the upgrade on the volume. In the GUI, I clicked import volume and it saw the already existing zfs volume.

This is raid-z configuration by the way

EDIT: I am now testing to update to 11.2 with some media added on the volume. I want to see if the data is lost after I restore back to U5 and import the volume.

Last edited:

Kruger

Cadet
During the reinstallation of Freenas, disconnect your zfs data drives until the OS installation portion is complete, then reconnect them prior to booting it back up. This would prevent the accidental installation of Freenas onto the zfs data drives, essentially removing it from the equation so you can better troubleshoot the actual issue.

For us, the upgrade to 11.2 broke the boot loader. Reinstalling the OS and reimporting the zfs volume went problem free. I've yet to see a zfs import fail, however it will fail if there are different zfs pool versions involved.

Brer

Explorer
I finally managed to get BETA1 working by using an SSD instead of a standard USB 3.0 drive. Worked with no issues and the config imported and zvol imported without error. All VM's working as expected and running normally.

On a side note, I had to boot and install from DVD and the burn speed had to be slow, no idea why but burning at max speed didn't seem to work. Not sure if I have USB compatibility issues with my main PC running Windows 10 and using Rufus to write the ISO to USB in ISO mode or not but I just can't seem to get the ISO to work under BETA1, U5 is no problem so maybe something changed with the boot loader and BSD.

british

Dabbler
Hi forums...

Well to reignite an old topic, I upgraded yesterday from 11.1u6 to 11.2. My box used a SanDisk 32GB USB 3.0 pen drive, but connected to a USB 2.0 port. It had previously all been fine, and gone through many upgrades of FreeNAS. But yesterday the box failed to boot after upgrading, and had the same issue and message as the OP.

In the end I was advised on IRC to simply clean install the pen drive again from the 11.2 installation media, which I did.... same problem upon booting.

Today I took an SSD drive which is in a USB 3.0 chassis installed to that, tried to boot it... perfect - worked ... imported the configuration, all up and running again. I'm going to fit an internal SSD to the box and use that for the OS, but it is odd that suddenly the USB pen stops working.

The only other little test I will do shortly is to install to a USB 2.0 pendrive I have to hand and see if that boots.

So I hope if anyone else encounters this issue that my info helps you.

Best wishes

FreeVel

Dabbler
same problem here ...
had successfully upgraded last week from 11.1-U6 --> 11.2-RC3
all was running well so far until today I upgraded from 11.2-RC3 --> 11.2-REL
and I have ended up with "can't find boot/zfsloader" error message on boot

The only thing that wen't wrong this time was the upgrade process disrupted when the USB drive got full during download time. The I repeated the process and it seems the 11.2-RC3 boot version had been replaced by 11.2-REL with a message "please boot to activate"... the rest is history :-(

any advise for helping me recover is greatly appreciated.

Screenshot 2018-12-08 at 13.29.45.png