SOLVED Upgrade to 11.2-U2.1 from 11.1-U6 failed - Can't find /boot/zfsloader

Hazimil

Contributor
Hi,

I decided to upgrade my box today from v11.1-U6 to v11.2-U2.1, upgrade was downloaded and then the server rebooted, eventually the server "crashed" and would progress or be responsive to anything, so I had to reboot it.

However, upon reboot I now get the following error:

Code:
Can't find /boot/zfsloader

FreeBSD/x86 boot
Default: freenas-boot/ROOT/11.2-U2.1:/boot/kernel/kernel
boot:

Now before I try reinstalling from scratch with a USB image (and then loading config file), is there anyway I can recover?

Also, what version should I reinstall, v11.1 (which was working) or 11.2?

Edit: I have read: Resolving Boot Issues section of https://www.ixsystems.com/blog/library/freenas-11-2-release/. and am now going to try a fresh 11.2 install.

Thanks.

Jonathan

Attachments

• error.jpg
    error.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 431
Last edited:

Hazimil

Contributor
Ok,

Well a clean install worked. I then imported my config, and after the reboot everything seems OK.... /phew

However, connecting via Putty now gives me the error "Server refused our key", think its linked to public key, any idea how I can fix/reset this?

Also, seems I cannot VNC to my VMs as well, "VNC refuses connection", umm.

Jonathan

Hazimil

Contributor
Were you able to mount your zpool properly and dataset is still in tact?

Yes, after the import of the config everything "came back", but as said having some issues with VNC and SSH at the moment, but all data, datasets, users, settings etc back and working :).

Hazimil

Contributor
Just curious what kind of drive are you using for the boot volume?

Micron M510DC SATA 120GB Enterprise SSD (MTFDDAK120MBP-1AN16ABYY)

Jonathan

Hazimil

Contributor
OK, it seems I can VNC into my Windows 10 VM, but not my Ubuntu v14.04 VM.... slowly getting there. Do like the new GUI though!

J.

Hazimil

Contributor
Right, fixed my SSH connection issue. Had to reenter in the public key to my root user. :)

Just the VNC to Ubuntu VM issue to fix, will work on that separately.

Jonathan

andre-almeid

Cadet
Hey...
I had a problem with my installation and had to do a fresh install. But after installing and booting, I have the same error.
My hardware is an HP Gen8 and I installed it on a flash drive. I've always had it installed like this and it has always worked for years but now starting the new version that I downloaded, I have this error.

Screenshot 2022-09-28 at 09.15.40.png