Failed upgrade from 11 (STABLE) to 11.2 (STABLE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

andreyg

Cadet
Dear all,

Not realising that 11.2 (STABLE) is actually a beta I have upgraded from GUI. I am running my small home server in a headless configuration and from GUI it looked like the upgrade was successful and the system rebooted. But the system did not boot. Connecting the monitor shows the console:

gptzfsboot: error 32 lba 30031240
gptzfsboot: error 32 lba 1
|
Can't find /boot/zfsloader

FreeBSD/x86 boot
Default: nas:/boot/kernel/kernel
boot:
/
Can't find /boot/kernel/kernel

My boot device is a USB 3.0 flash drive.

Any advice on how to proceed would be appreciated. Ideally I would like to go back to 11 (STABLE).

Many thanks in advance,
Gorby

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The bootloader isn't working. Failed updates are far from unusual with USB flash drives.

You'll have to reinstall from scratch and upload your config. If you do not have your config, install to new media.

andreyg

Cadet
Thanks for the suggestion.

I have tried re-installing to the same media and 11.1-U6 worked. Out of the interest, I have tried upgrading again to 11.2-BETA3 and got the same error message as in my original e-mail.

Makes me think that this is not just a random failed update on a USB flash drive, do you agree?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Two times is a trend... What hardware are we talking about?

andreyg

Cadet
Nothing very serious:

Asus E45M1-I DELUXE (AMD Hudson M1) DDR3 mini ITX Motherboard
2*OcUK Value 4GB (1x4GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C9 1333MHz Low-Voltage Single Channel Module
2*Seagate Barracuda 2TB 64MB SATA 5900 RPM Hard Drive (in RAID1)
1*SanDisk Ultra Fit 16 GB USB Flash Drive USB 3.0 up to 150 MB/s (boot)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Hmm, it might be that the motherboard doesn't play nicely with the FreeBSD bootloader (which is used in FreeNAS 11.2 - older versions use GRUB).

andreyg

Cadet
Should I try installing FreeBSD directly to confirm? I am not a FreeBSD expert - what versions would you suggest I should try?

I can get hold of another one of these motherboards to experiment with.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You can try installing 11.2-Beta3 directly, too.

andreyg

Cadet
That what I did in my previous experiment - sorry if I did not make it clear.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Straight from ISO? In that case, you can try filing a bug report. Be sure to mention your motherboard model.

abba91

Cadet
I've the same error with HP Microserver N54L. I've tried upgrade and fresh install but same error (11U6 Work). Anyone resolve?

Pointeo13

Explorer
I've the same error with HP Microserver N54L. I've tried upgrade and fresh install but same error (11U6 Work). Anyone resolve?

Same issue with my IBM x3650 M4, I did an upgrade from 11.1-U6, and went south pretty fast. I had to re-download the 11.1-U6 iso, choose upgrade option to have it restore my freenas/settings. I even tried to do a fresh install of 11.2-stable, but the USB installer wouldn't even load, same type of error message. I spent about eight hours trying to trouble shoot it, but for now I'll have to stay on 11.1-U6 and give it another go another day and post the error messages.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
This is a fairly old thread that went nowhere. Adding "me too" is not helpful.

If you have a problem, open a new thread and explain it in detail, including any exact errors and the troubleshooting steps taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.