SOLVED 11.2 BETA1 Upgrade and Fresh Install

british

Dabbler
same problem here ...
had successfully upgraded last week from 11.1-U6 --> 11.2-RC3
all was running well so far until today I upgraded from 11.2-RC3 --> 11.2-REL
and I have ended up with "can't find boot/zfsloader" error message on boot

The only thing that wen't wrong this time was the upgrade process disrupted when the USB drive got full during download time. The I repeated the process and it seems the 11.2-RC3 boot version had been replaced by 11.2-REL with a message "please boot to activate"... the rest is history :-(

any advise for helping me recover is greatly appreciated.

View attachment 26913
Hi,

Do you have a SSD drive available to test? As I said in my post, I actually used an SSD with a USB 3.0 case ... connected to a USB 2.0 port and it now works fine. I haven't had a chance to try writing a USB 2.0 pen drive... but certainly SSD works

FreeVel

Dabbler
Do you have a SSD drive available to test? As I said in my post, I actually used an SSD with a USB 3.0 case ... connected to a USB 2.0 port and it now works fine. I haven't had a chance to try writing a USB 2.0 pen drive... but certainly SSD works

I run freenas on a HP micro-Gen8 server (bios boot) that boots from the internal sd-card. No other drives involved.

this is what I have tried so far ...

Try #1
=====
1. Using install ISO on usb key, upgraded to 11.1-U6 by selecting reformat boot, BIOS boot
2. Freenas DB was upgraded with errors
3. booted to FreeNAS, all jails and VMs booted correctly
4. System Menu (legacy) throws errors and cannot use at all
5. System Menu (Angular) works with no errors; can select upgrade menu but a spining dialog never goes awat

Try #2
=====
1. Using install ISO on usb key, upgraded to 11.2-REL by selecting reformat boot, *UEFI* boot
2. Freenas DB was upgraded with *no* errors
3. cannot boot, getting boot error "cannot boot from data partition"

Try #3
=====
1. Using install ISO on usb key, then upgraded to 11.2-REL by selecting reformat boot, *BIOS* boot
2. Freenas DB was upgraded with *no* errors
3. cannot boot, getting again the below screen - hence it is unlikely to be bad sector on the boot device

Try #4
=====
1. Using install ISO on usb key, then do a fresh install for 11.2-REL by selecting reformat boot, *BIOS* boot
2. cannot boot, getting again the below screen - hence it is unlikely to be bad sector on the boot device

There is also an relevant open ticket here...
https://redmine.ixsystems.com/issues/52441

Weird how I was successful from 11.1-u6 --> 11.2-RC2 !

british

Dabbler
Wow... that's nasty :-/ Sorry to hear you're having such problems. I'm afraid my knowledge isn't going to help you. Perhaps jump on IRC and see if anyone can help, or hang fire and hope the guys on the forum will pick up on this and find a solution?

Good luck

krampuss

Cadet
I've experienced the same problem with my tiny system, booting from USB thumb drive:
upgraded to 11.2 from 11.1U6 the other day. Worked like a charm, came up after reboot and everything. Did a shutdown and when I turned it on the next morning it hanged at failed to mount the default pool. Darn.
Took the USB, reinstalled 11.1U6, restored the settings. Worked a treat. ZFS pool visible, jail ok etc. Did the upgrade to 11.2 again, came up after reboot, new jail visible and running (I had migrated it the previous time I did the upgrade). Everything works great. Did a shutdown, turned it on the day after and whaddayaknow: failed to mount default pool again. It's a bit odd that it comes back up as it should after upgrade, but doesn't after a cold shutdown, don't you think?
I think I'll stay with U6 this time.

Would you suggest that I disconnect the external pool drives if I try updating to 11.2 again, and then turn them on as the system boots?

TIA!

n0one

Cadet
11.2 and usb drives seems to have major issues atm, did a upgrade to 11.2 stable and everything worked flawless until i had to reboot 2nd time.

upgraded from a 11.1 install img and kept settings, rebooted and had 11.2 in the grub other menu everything working atm...

SynbiosVyse

Dabbler
They were on the zfs volume right here in the screenshot below.

cv22n7p.png

This did not say 0% prior to my issues with the upgrade on the volume. In the GUI, I clicked import volume and it saw the already existing zfs volume.

This is raid-z configuration by the way

EDIT: I am now testing to update to 11.2 with some media added on the volume. I want to see if the data is lost after I restore back to U5 and import the volume.

I had the same thing where my volume went down to 0% and used about 784 MiB, did you ever come to any conclusions after this?

strelok

Dabbler
Hi !

Unfortunately, I found this topic after migration my FreeNAS from 9.10-U6 to 11.2
I faced with the same issue: after migration my FreeNas will not be able to start, although the update went without errors.

My Freenas is built based on Microserver Gen8 and use SD card for booting.
I read a lot of topics here and at the bugfix portal but still have not find solution.

So does anybody have news about solution for this problem ?
I was going to migrate one more FreeNAS based the same HP MicroServer but doesn't know should I do it.....

D

dlavigne

Hi !

Unfortunately, I found this topic after migration my FreeNAS from 9.10-U6 to 11.2
I faced with the same issue: after migration my FreeNas will not be able to start, although the update went without errors.

My Freenas is built based on Microserver Gen8 and use SD card for booting.
I read a lot of topics here and at the bugfix portal but still have not find solution.

So does anybody have news about solution for this problem ?
I was going to migrate one more FreeNAS based the same HP MicroServer but doesn't know should I do it.....

This is an old thread. Please start a new one with your details as there's many reasons why an update could go wrong. Also, migrating from such an old version to a new one (without intermediate steps) can often go wrong as there are several years worth of updates that need to be migrated.