Unable to Install FreeNAS on X8DTU-F

rprp

Cadet
Hi,

I just got a used server with X8DTU-F running with dual E5645, trying to install FreeNAS/TrueNAS to SSD on SATA2. The board do not support UEFI, only basic BIOS.

Wiredly, I managed to install win 10 home and ubuntu through USB generated from win 10. I have tried etcher/win32disk 1.0.0/rufus 3.15 to burn FreeNAS-9.1.0-RELEASE-x64.iso / FreeNAS-9.1.0-RELEASE-x64.img / FreeNAS-9.3-RELEASE.iso / TrueNAS-12.0-U5.1.iso with none of them working, also tried unetbootin with no luck.

Only 4GB USB 2.0 is used, and boot drive is selected correctly, but blackscreen instantly after POST. What could be a solution for this case?

rprp

Cadet
no PCIE card connected, only 2 SSD through board SATA.

I also tried dd a working TrueNAS boot drive and connect to SATA, also blackscreen on boot.

NugentS

MVP
I would suggest updating the BIOS as that solves a multitude of sins - sometimes

rprp

Cadet
I would suggest updating the BIOS as that solves a multitude of sins - sometimes
Thanks for the suggestion! I already did that, and the bios booted win 10 install USB just fine, just not with freenas somehow. I am making tons of boot drives with different releases, trying to see if i got lucky with any of themo_O