CPU stats not working in 12.0 U4

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisRM

Dabbler
The fix posted by @revengineer works and doesn't need a reboot.

The CPU status on the dashboard is a "nice to have", so you should weigh-up the real need and implement the temporary fix if you really can't live without it.
Given the fact that the patch sits and stares at me, and I stare back, I think I'll wait for U5...

Vertigo 7

Explorer
Can also confirm fix posted by @revengineer works. All appears stable on my end.

Capture.PNG

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Given the fact that the patch sits and stares at me, and I stare back, I think I'll wait for U5...

The patch has a .patch extension that needs to be removed before it will work.

revengineer

Contributor
The patch has a .patch extension that needs to be removed before it will work.
I added some instructions to my post to make the installation of the fix more clear.

gabborgabbor

Cadet
did that and couldn't reach ui anymore, reboot without success, changed back the .orig and ui is reachable again. :(

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
did that and couldn't reach ui anymore, reboot without success,
It seems like a number of us (and me on 3 different systems) have done it with success (and without a reboot).

Are you sure you're doing it as described?

gabborgabbor

Cadet
It seems like a number of us (and me on 3 different systems) have done it with success (and without a reboot).

Are you sure you're doing it as described?

wasn't sure about the binary copy, tried it again, still same result, ui not reachable but after revert to original its again reachable in a second.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
wasn't sure about the binary copy, tried it again, still same result, ui not reachable but after revert to original its again reachable in a second.
So, to confirm, you're doing these things:
  1. Unzip the archive and transfer main.7827c30e6733c013d061.js.patched to /usr/local/www/webui (this should be a BINARY transfer)
  2. Rename original file: mv main.7827c30e6733c013d061.js main.7827c30e6733c013d061.js.orig
  3. Rename patch: mv main.7827c30e6733c013d061.js.patched main.7827c30e6733c013d061.js
And then force a refresh (like shift-refresh) of the page and no load?

How are you copying the binary there (what owner/permissions does the new file have? same as the original?)?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
this should be a BINARY transfer
What's that even supposed to be? FTP is dead and rightfully so. IMHO we should encourage people to learn how to use Putty and WinSCP or the Windows Powershell or mac OS terminal equivalents exclusively. And forget the web UI shell even exists.

@gabborgabbor Which program did you use to transfer the file? What is your desktop operating system? If Windows, enable SSH on the TrueNAS, permit root login, use WinSCP for this operation and do the renaming actions on a command line via Putty. If Mac you can just open a terminal and use scp and ssh.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I'm just quoting the original instructions
Sorry if I was a bit blunt. It's become a pet peeve of mine. We need to educate people how to use SSH. What I have on my to do list is an "advanced networking primer" for TrueNAS and FreeBSD covering this lagg/vlan/bridge mess, so I would be glad if there was any taker who could write a resource on how to use SSH to maintain your TrueNAS.

Kind regards,
Patrick

adrianwi

Guru
Worked for me too, but how does visible stuff like this on the 'home page' slip through testing?

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Worked for me too, but how does visible stuff like this on the 'home page' slip through testing?
My understanding is that one bug fix caused a secondary unexpected impact.
Most testing is done at the API level and the storage protocol level...we automate as much as possible. These bugs cause real problems.
UI testing for "visible" issues. are more difficult to automate and we rely on the community. These bugs are annoying.
Unusual hardware issues are very dependent on user community. These bugs impact most users very rarely.
So, it didn't get through "testing".. it got through "automated testing" and was caught at "community testing".
Thanks to the community.. we now have a temporary fix and a permanent fix in 12.0-U5
The more major issue of python-middleware crashes (which occur very rarely) is also in 12.0-U5
That was another issue were automated testing did not identify the issue... only the community.

The more major issue of python-middleware crashes (which occur very rarely) is also in 12.0-U5
I feel like this is what I was experiencing during a disk replacement operation, that ended in the loss of a pool. For details, refer to the thread Pool restoration journey TrueNAS 12. The python middleware crashes were reproducible. While I can't attribute the pool loss directly to these crashes, I'll be feeling very vulnerable replacing a disk until 12.0-U5 is released. I do have one more SMR disk to be swapped out. Is there an ETA for this release?

gabborgabbor

Cadet
What's that even supposed to be? FTP is dead and rightfully so. IMHO we should encourage people to learn how to use Putty and WinSCP or the Windows Powershell or mac OS terminal equivalents exclusively. And forget the web UI shell even exists.

@gabborgabbor Which program did you use to transfer the file? What is your desktop operating system? If Windows, enable SSH on the TrueNAS, permit root login, use WinSCP for this operation and do the renaming actions on a command line via Putty. If Mac you can just open a terminal and use scp and ssh.

Hi,
sorry totally newb, and again sorry for late reply, first i copied it with to one of my samba shares and moved it there via putty, secondly i used filezilla, and yep windows is my desktop system.

@sretalla: good idea, will check if i messed something with permissions.

ThreeDee

Guru
I just used WinSCP and renamed and put the file in place .. worked like a charm

gabborgabbor

Cadet
Finally it works, THX guys.

Problem was file permissions:

Code:
-rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel  4322737 Jun  8 11:00 main.7827c30e6733c013d061.js
-rw-------   1 root  wheel  4322728 Jun 17 09:56 main.7827c30e6733c013d061.js.patched

changed it to 644.

Thx again, have a nice day.

Status
Not open for further replies.