Cloud sync task overlap behavior?

craig_jones

Dabbler
I didn't really find anything in the documentation or other research, but what's the behavior if a cloud sync task overlaps itself? Say I have a task that runs weekly (starts midnight Sunday). If the cloud sync task runs long enough that the next week arrives, will the task start another sync or will it recognize that the same task is still running and let the original instance complete?

Thanks,
Craig

RickH

Explorer
I didn't really find anything in the documentation or other research, but what's the behavior if a cloud sync task overlaps itself? Say I have a task that runs weekly (starts midnight Sunday). If the cloud sync task runs long enough that the next week arrives, will the task start another sync or will it recognize that the same task is still running and let the original instance complete?

Thanks,
Craig

It recognizes that the original task is still running and will not start a new one. (At least in my experience backing up to B2 this has been the case) Ideally this scenario should only happen with your initial 'seed' to your cloud provider - if you have a sync task that is routinely running longer than a week you should probably look at increasing your bandwidth or 'chunking' it up into smaller pieces.

craig_jones

Dabbler
It recognizes that the original task is still running and will not start a new one. (At least in my experience backing up to B2 this has been the case) Ideally this scenario should only happen with your initial 'seed' to your cloud provider - if you have a sync task that is routinely running longer than a week you should probably look at increasing your bandwidth or 'chunking' it up into smaller pieces.
Thanks for the response. The default cloud sync task fields don't have any configuration options for changing the "chunk" size. Would the only alternative be a cron job with a custom rclone command?

RickH

Explorer
The default cloud sync task fields don't have any configuration options for changing the "chunk" size.

I just meant you can setup multiple different sync tasks, selecting a sub-folder instead of your main root folder.

You can definitely get more creative with a cron job, but at that point you're not going to get any management or updates through the GUI. If you need more fine-tuning that what's available in the cloud sync options there are a couple of backup options that will run in a Jail - before FreeNAS introduced the cloud sync feature, I used to use Duplicati running in a jail for all of my offsite backup jobs. Going this route definitely adds some complexity and management overhead, but it is a lot more flexible and you can encrypt your files before sending them offsite...

craig_jones

Dabbler
I just meant you can setup multiple different sync tasks, selecting a sub-folder instead of your main root folder.

You can definitely get more creative with a cron job, but at that point you're not going to get any management or updates through the GUI. If you need more fine-tuning that what's available in the cloud sync options there are a couple of backup options that will run in a Jail - before FreeNAS introduced the cloud sync feature, I used to use Duplicati running in a jail for all of my offsite backup jobs. Going this route definitely adds some complexity and management overhead, but it is a lot more flexible and you can encrypt your files before sending them offsite...
Ok, thanks for the tips and answering my original question!