BUILD Checking hardware for new build based on X11SSL-F

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turboproc

Dabbler
Hi all,

first post in this forum and I would like to check the HW setup for a new NAS/Media server to be build as my current NAS (Synology) will run full within a reasonable time frame.

After a lot of reading and first being focussed on a mITX solution but in the end not choosing for that one as space is not that an issue and I would prefer to avoid any heat problems, coming to the following set:

• Intel XEON E3 1220 v6 (should also allow transcoding)
  • Supermicro X11SSL-F (preferred brand, provides 6 SATA ports, supports ECC, supports IPMI, hence no video required which is not provide by CPU above)
  • 6 x WD Red WD60EFRX, 6TB (as I understand one of the most reliable disks at the moment)
  • Fractal Design Define R5 Zwart (sufficient space and providing proper cooling)
  • 2 x Samsung M391A1G43DB0-CPB giving a total of 16 GB (confirmed by SM to be working with X11SSL)
  • Seasonic G-series 450 watt (preferred type in this forum and sufficient capacity)

Any thoughts on this configuration, e.g. a mismatch of components by which this setup will never work or not work reliably.

Thnx for all support

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Hi all,

first post in this forum and I would like to check the HW setup for a new NAS/Media server to be build as my current NAS (Synology) will run full within a reasonable time frame.

After a lot of reading and first being focussed on a mITX solution but in the end not choosing for that one as space is not that an issue and I would prefer to avoid any heat problems, coming to the following set:

• Intel XEON E3 1220 v6 (should also allow transcoding)
  • Supermicro X11SSL-F (preferred brand, provides 6 SATA ports, supports ECC, supports IPMI, hence no video required which is not provide by CPU above)
  • 6 x WD Red WD60EFRX, 6TB (as I understand one of the most reliable disks at the moment)
  • Fractal Design Define R5 Zwart (sufficient space and providing proper cooling)
  • 2 x Samsung M391A1G43DB0-CPB giving a total of 16 GB (confirmed by SM to be working with X11SSL)
  • Seasonic G-series 450 watt (preferred type in this forum and sufficient capacity)

Any thoughts on this configuration, e.g. a mismatch of components by which this setup will never work or not work reliably.

Thnx for all support
Welcome to the forums!

Overall, your design looks good. I personally would use a 550W (or larger) power supply.

Do you plan to boot from a USB stick? If so, the SanDisk Cruzer Fit 16GB models are a good choice.

Good luck!

Turboproc

Dabbler
Welcome to the forums!

Overall, your design looks good. I personally would use a 550W (or larger) power supply.

Do you plan to boot from a USB stick? If so, the SanDisk Cruzer Fit 16GB models are a good choice.

Good luck!
Yes, thnx for reminding. Indeed booting from USB and having a SanDisk Cruzer Fit for this in mind.

CraigD

Patron

For about $20 more you can get the X11SSM-F, the same board except it has 8 SATA ports, if you ever need an additional 1-2 SATA ports spend the extra money, even if the case will not support them, they will help if you need to replace a drive for any reason (The Define R5 will)

Have Fun

Turboproc

Dabbler
For about $20 more you can get the X11SSM-F, the same board except it has 8 SATA ports, if you ever need an additional 1-2 SATA ports spend the extra money, even if the case will not support them, they will help if you need to replace a drive for any reason (The Define R5 will)

Have Fun
Hi, thnx for the sugestion. Indeed little extra costs for great convenience. Will change the list.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Yes, thnx for reminding. Indeed booting from USB and having a SanDisk Cruzer Fit for this in mind.
Note that the link was to a USB 2.0 device for the Cruzer and it is recommended over the USB 3.x devices. They may be slower but they produce less heat and typically last significantly longer.

Stux

MVP
Also, consider the Xeon 1230v6. Its very good value relative to the 1220v6. A lot of extra performance, for a little bit more cash. Unheard of from intel! In transcoding workloads it can be up to 60% faster.

Evertb1

Guru
I am preparing a new FreeNAS build as well and your wish list is as close to mine as can be. Though I would go for the proposed X11SSM-F mobo. I would like to know if there are already FreeNAS builds on this mobo out there? Currently the list of tested memory is pretty limited and I would like to know if somebody successfully used memory outside the Supermicro memory list.

Last edited by a moderator:

CraigD

Patron

joeschmuck

Old Man
Though I would go for the proposed X11SSM-F mobo. I would like to know if there are already Freenas builds on this mobo out there?
There are several of us using this motherboard. I use it and @Ericloewe and others.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Archaniel

Explorer

Turboproc

Dabbler
Thanks for all your support. Ordered the X11SSM-F board with 1 x 16GB DDR4 module. All parts received this week (drives not ordered yet), build last night in the Fractal Design case (first time using this, first impression great) and just powered up.
Never used IPMI, great invention. Had connected a display and keyboard and realized that as long as you're able to capture the IP address (DHCP server) one would never need to connect these devices.
Doing some burning in (memtest running right now) for coming days, before installing FreeNAS. (Btw, really like the virtual storage, no need to put any software on USB sticks to start off).

Keep you all posted.

Evertb1

Guru
Thanks for all your support. Ordered the X11SSM-F board with 1 x 16GB DDR4 module. All parts received this week (drives not ordered yet), build last night in the Fractal Design case (first time using this, first impression great) and just powered up.
Never used IPMI, great invention. Had connected a display and keyboard and realized that as long as you're able to capture the IP address (DHCP server) one would never need to connect these devices.
Doing some burning in (memtest running right now) for coming days, before installing FreeNAS. (Btw, really like the virtual storage, no need to put any software on USB sticks to start off).

Keep you all posted.
I think you have made a good choice of components. Yes IPMI and the virtual storage are great. The only times I touch my FreeNAS box is when I need to change something in the hardware and with a 2 times a year dusting expedition.

Enjoy your build.

Turboproc

Dabbler
Guys, before installing FreeNAS on my new build, 2 questions:
  1. what's the latest insight regarding boot device, i.e. USB stick or small SSD drive?
  2. Reading that Release 11.0 is available, is this release sufficient stable or would you advice to start with Release 9.10.2 latest update?
Having at this moment still the flexibility to move in any direction, this might become rather limited once installed and having the NAS in production.

joeschmuck

Old Man
That was easy... SSD and FreeNAS 11.

The SSD was a no brainer, it will always be better than USB Flash Drive.
The FreeNAS version, there have been a few minor issues with version 11 and you can look those up in the bug reports but in general it's been very stable. If I were doing an installation today, I'd go with 11.

Evertb1

Guru
Guys, before installing FreeNAS on my new build, 2 questions:
  1. what's the latest insight regarding boot device, i.e. USB stick or small SSD drive?
  2. Reading that Release 11.0 is available, is this release sufficient stable or would you advice to start with Release 9.10.2 latest update?
Having at this moment still the flexibility to move in any direction, this might become rather limited once installed and having the NAS in production.
Go for the SSD. Just this weekend I replaced my mirrored USB sticks with a small (60 GB) SSD because I lost a stick (again). And those were Sandisk Ultra Fits with a good reputation. It's just not worth the hassle.

Turboproc

Dabbler
Go for the SSD. Just this weekend I replaced my mirrorred USB sticks with a small (60 GB) SSD because I lost a stick (again). And those were Sandisk Ultra Fits with a good reputation. It's just nor worth the hassle.
Thnx for suggesting. Ordered a SanDisk SSD yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.