BUILD Supermicro X11SSL-F

Status
Not open for further replies.

zokker13

Cadet
Hello everyone,

first timer here and I hope some experience FreeNAS user could check out my build before I potentially throw the money into the bin.

Background
I currently run a Synology DS414j and it's reaching it's limits. Not only HDD space but the whole thing is running rather slow. Additionally, the minified OS is not so cool to play with.
Since all the available solutions are kind of tailored and stripped down, I'd like to try FreeNAS.

Use Case
The primary use case for the build is a simple File Server.
I want to serve Windows and Linux machines with mostly myself on it. (So I assume 3-5 concurrent connections max.)
More importantly, I want to encrypt the drives (at this point, the Synology solution was done).

Build Plan
I have to admit that I'm not 100% sure about my choice for the build.
My first thinking was that I want a build that supports like 12 HDDs so I could have 3 vdevs with each 4 HDDs running in RAID-Z1. That way I could grab some HDDs and use the existing drives in the Synology NAS. But I don't think that would work out and after reading some opinions on data safety, I was convinced that RAID-Z2 would serve me better.

So my second thought is to grab a rather okay'ish server configuration, put there 6x 3TB Western Digital Red and whenever I need more space I would have to build another server from scratch.
This way I don't run into oversizing the initial server and could benefit from hardware evolution. Also, I could choose different vdev combinations for each server.
The drawback is rather obvious, I need more servers once I exceed my previous one. So I need to address the correct server for the correct use case.

Anyway, here's the build for that plan:

Motherboard
X11SSL-F
240€

CPU
Core i3 6089P 3.6 GHz
or
Core i3 6100T 3.2 GHz

=> Core i3 6300 3.8GHz
150€

Memory
Crucial 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4-2133

=> Samsung DDR4 16 GB UDIMM 2133 MHz
80€

Case
Fractal Design Define Mini
81€

Supply
Seasonic G-450
78€

HDDs
Western Digital 6x 3TB
666€

Boot Device
SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.0 32GB
12€

TOTAL: 1295€
18TB (~12TB)

vdev Layout
6 HDDs into the vdev with RAID-Z2

When my power consumption calculations didn't fail, I'll be at roughly 361W. Multipliying with 1.25 buffer gives me 451.25W which I hope is fine.

Questions
  • I'm not sure about the memory compability. I selected Crucial's UDIMMS but the intel ark doesn't mention UDIMM (or DIMM). Is there any problem with that?
  • Is the build plan stupid or is it okay and can be used?
  • What about the CPU? It does support AES-NI but is the power enough?
  • What about the other mentioned i3? Better or worse choice (well, does it matter if I take the 3.2 GHz unit?)
  • I think the memory sizing is a bit below recommondation. Should I rather go with 32GB?

Any recommondations are well appreciated.
Thank you.

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Neither. i3-6100 or i3-6300 (no Ts or other letters).

Wasteful, get a single 16GB DIMM instead.

• I'm not sure about the memory compability. I selected Crucial's UDIMMS but the intel ark doesn't mention UDIMM (or DIMM). Is there any problem with that?
You want UDIMMs, yes.

I think the memory sizing is a bit below recommondation. Should I rather go with 32GB?
Get the single 16GB DIMM at first. If you need more, it's trivial to add more later (and possibly cheaper).

MisterIce

Explorer
Are you planning on adding more drives in the future?

If you are I'd suggest a stronger PSU, saves buying a new one when the time is there :smile:

And I agree with @Ericloewe, get 16GB RAM sticks. The MoBo you choose has a 4 x 16GB RAM limit and if you stick with the 8GB RAM you can only get a 32GB max. If you plan on adding more HDD's or start using jails you might get some problems. Not saying that it will, but it increases the chances of happening.

NightSky

Cadet
I'm very keen on building a very similar system. One of the reviews on Newegg suggests this board does not support hot-swapping SATA drives, but that's not necessarily a showstopper for me.

Curious about the recommendation to avoid the i3-6100T because I would have thought the low-power mode was ideal for FreeNAS (65W vs 35W) even considering the lower clock speed.

Is the X11 series nice and stable with FreeNAS?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
One of the reviews on Newegg suggests this board does not support hot-swapping SATA drives,
One of the reviewers on Newegg (at least) has no idea what he's talking about.

Is the X11 series nice and stable with FreeNAS?
Yes.

Curious about the recommendation to avoid the i3-6100T because I would have thought the low-power mode was ideal for FreeNAS (65W vs 35W) even considering the lower clock speed.
Not in the slightest. Bah, I should write a sticky on the damned subject, I'm sick of explaining it all over the place:
The low-power versions are just the exact same processor, but with an artificial power limit set in microcode. They won't actually use less power, they just do not have the ability to use as much power in any given moment. Idle power, which is what would make a difference, is going to be identical (or rather, within tolerances for the manufacturing process).

NightSky

Cadet
One of the reviewers on Newegg (at least) has no idea what he's talking about.

Haha, that's perfect actually, as this board looks like a terrific basic foundation.

Your comments make perfect sense re the 6100T. I didn't realize that the low-power edition was done solely by throttling. Thanks for that.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Your comments make perfect sense re the 6100T. I didn't realize that the low-power edition was done solely by throttling. Thanks for that.
There might be some binning involved, to gather the really good low-power chips, but they're all made the same way. So far, nobody's demonstrated that they're statistically significantly better at idle.

zokker13

Cadet
Would take the i3-6300 then.

Wasteful, get a single 16GB DIMM instead.
Samsung it is, then.
Any specific reason against the 8GB sticks aside from higher power consumption and less upgrade potential?

Are you planning on adding more drives in the future?
If you are I'd suggest a stronger PSU, saves buying a new one when the time is there :)

And I agree with @Ericloewe, get 16GB RAM sticks. The MoBo you choose has a 4 x 16GB RAM limit and if you stick with the 8GB RAM you can only get a 32GB max. If you plan on adding more HDD's or start using jails you might get some problems. Not saying that it will, but it increases the chances of happening.
I don't plan on upgrading the amout of HDDs.
6 drives sound reasonable with RAID-Z2. Also, I won't run into issues with cases or have to buy a rack unit.
I'm pretty sure I won't upgrade :)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Any specific reason against the 8GB sticks aside from higher power consumption and less upgrade potential?
Just that, though power consumption will almost certainly be a wash between both options.

VladTepes

Patron

Stux

MVP
I know you said you wanted to buy twice...

But, It's a great board.

One day, when you decide to transplant it into a case which supports 12 drives, you'll want a psu for 12 drives, since good psu's have a 10 year warranty these days, might as well keep the same psu and size for twelve.

and you'll want to double your 32GB to 64GB.

You'll start with 16, but you'll get a 16gb Dimm super cheap eventually and you'll want it for all then docker plugins you're running on FreeNAS 10.

Then you just add an HBA and another 6 drives.

And pick up a stupid cheap 2nd hand e3 Xeon ;)

But, just make sure you're including the spinup current in your sizing calcs.

zokker13

Cadet
One day, when you decide to transplant it into a case which supports 12 drives, you'll want a psu for 12 drives, since good psu's have a 10 year warranty these days, might as well keep the same psu and size for twelve.

Mh... okay, you got me thinking.
But I think I'll stick with the smaller solution. Else I have to take care of the PSU which needs to be 850W since the xeon is a beast and I can't forget the HBA.
I also hope that I might get a flat with a proper storage room which is well isolated so I can put a rack unit there.

Edit: Totally did the purchase now.
Let's hope it will arrive be the weekend.

Added costs so other people get a better impression about costs.
Will add benchmarks when I build it up.

Cheers and thank you guys! :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.