New built with old hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have a question, in the past I have a server with FreeNAS with the follwing hardware;

Intel Xeon 3.1 Ghz 4 core CPU
8 Gb RAM 2133 Mhz
Asus MB Deluxe z87
1 x 6 Tb Seagate HDD
Norco RPC-4224 server chassi
1000 Watt PSU
2 x 1 Gbits NICs on board

The MB capacitors have busted, I have trow out the MB and keep all the other hardware. Now I want to re-build a system and re-using the same hardware. I don't have tested the hardware with all bays full of HDDs. Did you know if with all bays full of HDDs, if 8 Gb of RAM its enought for 24 HDDs for personal data storage, 4 HDDs for security cameras pictures and 2 HDDs for my music for a total of 30 HDDs.

Thanks,

Guillaume

marbus90

Guru
Good. now you can get proper hardware. throw everything out of the chassis, PSU, CPU and RAM may get wonky with blown caps - since those are solid caps...

So, that case has 24 HDD bays. where do you plan to squeeze in another 6 HDDs? What size will those be?

Hi,

For the 6 other HDDs, there was two 2.5" space inside the chassi so the music drives will be two 2 Tb of 2.5" and for the 4 other remaining drives for the security cameras, I will buy a cage with 4 bays and put it near the PSU where there was a empty space. I will put 4 drives of 5 Tb into this. The 24 Hotswap HDDs will be 6 Tb.

Did you reccomand me to buy again 8 Gb (2 x 4 Gb) RAM sticks or put more RAM into the machine?

marbus90

Guru
I recommend a Xeon E5 system with 128GB (8x16GB Registered ECC) RAM. You might be okay with 64GB RAM.

OMG! 128 Gb, the MB I plan to buy support only 32 GB. What happen if I put only 32 GB instead 64 or 128? I don't want to buy a very exepensiv MB.

danb35

Hall of Famer
In addition to that, read trough the docs which would state that you need 1GB RAM per 1TB of storage.
The 1GB/1TB rule of thumb is a rough guideline, and it's possible that @guillaumesoucy will be just fine with 32 GB. The problem is that if he isn't OK with that, he needs a new motherboard, CPU, and RAM--none of his stuff will be reusable.

@guillaumesoucy, ZFS is very RAM-hungry, and you're wanting to host 164 TB of storage. That's over $7000 just in hard drives. Let's look at the cost delta here. A SuperMicro X10SL7-F, Xeon E3-1270v3, and 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) of RAM will cost ~$850 US, and that motherboard will be maxed out--you won't be able to add any more RAM. A SuperMicro X9SRA, Xeon E5-2603v2, and 32 GB of RAM (2 x 16 GB) will cost ~$775 US--$75 less than the Socket 1150 build, and you'll still have 6 DIMM sockets available for RAM expansion when you find that 32 GB isn't enough. The total cost of the Socket 2011 build is barely 10% of the cost of your drives. Is this really something you want to cheap out on?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
With 164TB of storage 32GB of RAM is out of the question. I've got 60TB and I'm a single freakin' user and I have performance limits on occasion!

Hi everyone!

Thanks to all for your replys!

I think I will drop the idea of a server at home since im on a appartements building and im scared about the building caught fire and my server burn down, yes I have an insurance but data on the machine is irremplacable in case of a distaster like this. I stay away fromm online storage since they have sacry politics in their TOS, I talk mostly about unlimited ones. So, want I will do its I will upgrade my dedicaded server from OVH Canada , because I have one with 3 HDDs of 4 Tb, I will upgrade it to another in the same company. Witch I will choose it the scalable model who permit to have up to 36 HDDs of 6 TB, but I will start with 2 x 6 Tb HDDs and after I will see. :) . But I still have a question, its sure a 100% I will use FreeNAS on it like my 3 x 4 Tb model but the server have 64 Gb of RAM and the total storage capacity possible is 216 Tb. Will the server can have hard time or permormance issues? Please note the max bandwidth allowed by OVH Canada is 500 Mbits and I have access at 350 Mbits from my ISP (2 x 175 symetric). So this is possible the FreeNAS server send or recive at 350 Mbits by moment...

Thanks again for all your help, this is very nice to see a communauty who support other.

Sorry for my poor english. Normaly I spoke canadian french. :)

Guillaume

marbus90

Guru
you can probably also buy more ram. I'm still standing on the 1GB/1TB rule.

freenas in a web enviroment isn't feasible unless you only use a vpn connection, ovh offers vpn gateways for the private lan.

Hi marbus90!

With the model named FS-MAX, who have the possibility of 36 HDDs, I can't add more than 64 Gb of RAM. Its pre-setted to that. Another model can but he don't have the capability of 36 HHDs and the price is more expansive. :(

I successfully install FreeNAS on my current dedicaded server with OVH Canada via the KVM. But he have 16 Gb of RAM but I have only 3 x 4 TB into it, not possible to add more. But if I take your 1GB/1TB rule, its in my current case 12 TB storage for 16 GB of RAM. So I will cancel it since its just for testing purpose and I will order the model who I talk above, FS-MAX. I will use FreeNAS on it for sure! :) I just cross my fingers for all goes fine with the RAM quantity.

Guillaume

Status
Not open for further replies.