Build my first NAS

RCasaca

Cadet
Hey guys
I want to build my first NAS system and I would like some help from you :)

1st The system I'm going to build is a RAID 6 system, what is more important, the number of processor cores or a lot of memory?

2nd If I build a NAS system and in the future I want to change the motherboard, do I have to redo everything and reinstall the system to access the files that are already on the disks?

3rd If the disk where I have TrueNAS installed dies, and I install the TrueNAS on a new disk, can I access the files of the previous system created?

Thanks in advance for your patience!

Arwen

MVP
Here are some answers:

1. Their is no RAID-6 in TrueNAS. ZFS has something similar called RAID-Z2, but it has some differences. As for more cores versus more memory, depends on the use case. If you describe your use case, we may be able to better advise you.

2. No, you don't have to rebuild it all. You will likely have to re-configure the network interface from the console.

3. You will want to save the TrueNAS configuration on either a regular basis. Or after each change. Then, if the TrueNAS boot disk dies, you can simply re-install TrueNAS on to a new boot disk and restore the configuration. All the data never was touched and would still be available.

It is highly recommended that you read up a bit on TrueNAS & ZFS. Their are gotchas, like whence a RAID-Z2 is built, you can't just add a disk to grow it.

You CAN grow a ZFS pool by either replacing each disk in the RAID-Z2 one at a time with larger disks. Then, when all the disks are replaced, the ZFS pool will grow by that amount added. Or you can add another RAID-Z2 vDev with additional disks.

Their are lots of little details that are designed to make a TrueNAS server reliable and stable. Like SMART testing, ZFS scrubs, ZFS replication, (for backups), E-Mail alerts and UPS monitoring. If you don't setup them, you reduce your reliability and stability.

Davvo

MVP
Please read the following resources

In my signature you can find links to other resources.
Generally more RAM is better than higher core count.

RCasaca

Cadet
Here are some answers:

1. Their is no RAID-6 in TrueNAS. ZFS has something similar called RAID-Z2, but it has some differences. As for more cores versus more memory, depends on the use case. If you describe your use case, we may be able to better advise you.

2. No, you don't have to rebuild it all. You will likely have to re-configure the network interface from the console.

3. You will want to save the TrueNAS configuration on either a regular basis. Or after each change. Then, if the TrueNAS boot disk dies, you can simply re-install TrueNAS on to a new boot disk and restore the configuration. All the data never was touched and would still be available.

It is highly recommended that you read up a bit on TrueNAS & ZFS. Their are gotchas, like whence a RAID-Z2 is built, you can't just add a disk to grow it.

You CAN grow a ZFS pool by either replacing each disk in the RAID-Z2 one at a time with larger disks. Then, when all the disks are replaced, the ZFS pool will grow by that amount added. Or you can add another RAID-Z2 vDev with additional disks.

Their are lots of little details that are designed to make a TrueNAS server reliable and stable. Like SMART testing, ZFS scrubs, ZFS replication, (for backups), E-Mail alerts and UPS monitoring. If you don't setup them, you reduce your reliability and stability.
Thank you for your responce, I will read more before I build my NAS :)

RCasaca

Cadet
Please read the following resources

In my signature you can find links to other resources.
Generally more RAM is better than higher core count.
Thank you for your responce, I will read more before I build my NAS :)