Build my first NAS Box

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello.
i was searching for an nas.
i was watching on the web i found an youtube video he was making an FreeNAS.
so that is how i found this forum now i want to build an Nas.
how need i start what do i need.
the first what i found is an Case i want an Fractal Design Node 304 Black.
for my first build i want do use 2x 1 tb for an raid 1 configuration.
or 2x 2tb for the same reason (raid 1)

Thanks for reading.

Gonzalo

Patron
Hi Sydney,

Welcome to the forums! First, you should start reading the documentation in my sig. ;)

Regards.

I was reading the documentation of the hardware recomendations.
I saw something about ECC memory what is that ? i know the pc memory.
i had an plan to put an i3 proccesor in the nas. is this an good choice ?
What about AMD ?
my plan is to run plex on the nas to stream video's in to the house.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Yes, the links in Gonzalo's sig are a very good place to start. I hope the youtube video didn't leave you with the impression that FreeNAS is a good way to turn your old, castoff hardware into a NAS--it isn't designed for that at all. It's designed to use modern, reasonably high-spec, server-grade hardware. You'll find the folks on the forum to be generally knowledgeable and helpful, but you'll also be expected to do your homework.

Gonzalo

Patron
Some considerations:
  1. If you want to use FreeNAS satisfactorily, you have to become familiar with hardware and the specifications. As danb35 said, do your homework.
  2. Read the cyberjock's guide.
  3. The correct CPU depends on what you want to do.
  4. Forget AMD (at least until you can do more research about it).
  5. Do you want to do streaming directly or transcoding? (read about it).

danb35

Hall of Famer
I should probably elaborate a bit, because that link on its own is probably a little snarky. @Sydney Meerman, this is an example of "do your homework"--in the time it took you to type "I saw something about ECC memory what is that" here, you could have just as easily gone to Google (or your search engine of choice), typed in "what is ecc memory", and had your answer. You would have had a more comprehensive answer than anyone here could give you, and you would have had it immediately.

If your posts show that you haven't made any attempt to find an answer for yourself, it's much less likely that people here will help you. There are lots of very knowledgeable folks on the forum (and there are a lot more ordinary users, like me, who have learned a few things and try to help out where we can). The more you can help yourself, the more they can help you and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.