Build my first NAS

skafaliev

Cadet
Hello everyone,

I'm excited to embark on building my first NAS system, and I'm reaching out to seek your assistance and guidance.

Over the past few weeks, I've been diligently researching and searching for the perfect NAS setup, but I haven't been able to find exactly what I need. Here's what I'm looking to create: a RAID 5 or 10 system that will primarily serve as a media server using Plex or Jellyfin for streaming. It's essential for this system to have hardware transcoding capabilities (although 4K support is not necessary at this time), and it should handle no more than 2-3 simultaneous streams. In addition to media streaming, I plan to use the NAS for VPN access, file storage, and running a few virtual machines. I also have future plans to expand the storage to include four HDDs.

Here are the specs I've selected so far:
  • Case - Fractal Design NODE 804 (link)
  • Motherboard - ASRock B550M STEEL LEGEND (link)
  • CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 4750G (4.4GHz) (link)
  • Boot Drive - 512GB ADATA XPG SX8200P SSD | ASX8200PNP-512GT-C
  • PSU - Fractal Design ION+2 560W 80 Plus Platinum (link)
  • HDD - 2x Твърд диск 4TB Seagate IronWolf | ST4000VN006 (link)
  • RAM - KSM26ED8/16ME (link)

I truly appreciate your assistance and patience as I embark on this exciting project. If you have any recommendations, suggestions, or advice on any aspect of this NAS build, please feel free to share. Your expertise will be invaluable in ensuring a successful outcome.

Thank you in advance!

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Please read up on ZFS, since your terminology indicates that you are not fully aware of the special aspects of it. You will find a lot of information in my signature under "Recommended readings".