BOOT-Pool continuos writing [HELP]

ThEnGI

Contributor
After much hesitation I managed to convince myself to do the reinstallation.
I thought the re-import procedure was much more complicated and required reconfiguring the dockers and vms.
I found some free time to do the work and after a somewhat long first start I reloaded the configuration and everything works properly
Writes seem to have decreased 10x

running the command: Sudo swapon -s
Nothing comes out, does this mean I don't have any swap partitions?

ThEnGI

Contributor

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
nothing, I still have 100kbs of writes on the boot disk
I thought I identified the cause:

Reinstallation will not fix this. TrueNAS SCALE simply does write to the boot pool continuously.

100 kBytes (? - you write "b", ist that bytes or bits?) per second sums up to 3 TB per year. Nothing to worry about.

ThEnGI

Contributor
100 kBytes (? - you write "b", ist that bytes or bits?) per second sums up to 3 TB per year. Nothing to worry about.

sorry my mistake, 150 kByte/s (capital "B"), it is slightly more than the last reading. but probably because before there was empty space in the graph due to the reboot

150.000 B/s * 60 * 60 * 24 * 365 = 4.730.400.000.000 B = 4.73 TB/year

which for an SSD (even a small one) isn't much but it's still 5TB of what? log ?

In the ticket I opened the devs blamed swap but now it's not there!

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
If I am correct it's netdata logging the middleware accessing netdata.

Davvo

MVP
Over 4.5TB/y is significant imho, especially since most SSDs have a TBW between 4 and 4,5.

ThEnGI

Contributor
I'm using a cheap (not major brand) 128GB Sata SSD, is advertised for 80 TBW.

Will they be real?

Which in any case even if I change it every year it's still "only" €20, which I still don't like anyway it seems absurd to me to change the boot disk to reach the TBW

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Over 4.5TB/y is significant imho, especially since most SSDs have a TBW between 4 and 4,5.
Transcend 370S series 32 G model is specified at 90 TBW. Typical prosumer SSDs by Samsung come in at 600 TBW and higher.
The drives with the lowest endurance I use are Supermicro SATA DOMs: 34 TBW for the 32 G model.

I agree that IX should fix that unnecessary logging.

Davvo

MVP
Uh... maybe I forgot a couple of 0? Though I was sure I had seen a 4TBW somewhere. Well, it's better this way.
That's what I get for not double checking the numbers in my brain!

ray1ex

Dabbler
After much hesitation I managed to convince myself to do the reinstallation.
I thought the re-import procedure was much more complicated and required reconfiguring the dockers and vms.
I found some free time to do the work and after a somewhat long first start I reloaded the configuration and everything works properly
Writes seem to have decreased 10x

running the command: Sudo swapon -s
Nothing comes out, does this mean I don't have any swap partitions?
Yes!

This is my boot-pool:
截屏2024-03-22 12.32.35.png

Maybe new version can fix your problem