SOLVED Trouble replacing a disk in degraded boot-pool

rsolva

Cadet
A disk in my boot-pool was automatically removed by the system, and an alert said it was because of slow I/O performance. I could not find accurate information in the docs explaining how to properly replacing the disk. The only option I got in Boot Pool Status for the removed disk was "Replace". No "Detach" or similar.

Some important context: I have two internal disks that is used for the boot pool, one 2.5" SATA SSD and one NVME M.2. This machine do not have more SATA interfaces available, which means I can't just add another disk that can replace the removed one.

What I have tried: I powered down the machine, removed the presumably damaged NVME and replaced it with a new one.

Problem: The boot pool does not seem to detect that I have replaced the damaged disk with a new one. In boot Pool Status the nvme0n1pe is still marked as "REMOVED" and there is no way to force it to evaluate or resilver the new disk.

Is there any way to force a check of the NVME disk through the GUI or do I have to get dirty in the CLI and mess about with zfs directly?

I'm running TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.3.3. I got these two alerts:

Boot pool status is DEGRADED: One or more devices has been removed by the administrator. Sufficient replicas exist for the pool to continue functioning in a degraded state.
New ZFS version or feature flags are available for pool 'boot-pool'. Upgrading pools is a one-time process that can prevent rolling the system back to an earlier TrueNAS version. It is recommended to read the TrueNAS release notes and confirm you need the new ZFS feature flags before upgrading a pool.

Last edited:

rsolva

Cadet
Update: This might be unrelated to TrueNAS. I can't find the NVME at all using lsblk and lshw. Somehow it just dropped of the map and it does not show in the BIOS either, as far as I can see.

rsolva

Cadet
Ok, so it looks like the new NVME drive did not work (it was not recognized by the BIOS at least). I detached/removed the "old" nvme from the boot-pool via CLI (zpool), put the old NVME back in, attached it to the boot-pool via the GUI, and everything seems to work fine.

Not sure what went wrong in the first place, but it works for now :)