Pool Degraded after replacing disk with brand new one

titust1

Explorer
And it's also my impression that we've had multiple reports of seemingly successful new TrueNAS installs on SMR HDD's that have, over time, started to display failures that were not immdiately apparent post-TrueNAS install.
Yes this was my case, it seemed to work just fine at the beginning with SMR disks, and then later errors and failures started....

Redcoat

MVP
Like what?
I have no idea - but the detailed reasons given for the SMR incompatibility:

e.g.: From @HoneyBadger https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/can-you-make-smr-drives-work.94552/#post-716529 "The SMR issue will only rear its ugly head if/when file deletions occur, and the drives start freeing up space that doesn't align with the SMR "zone" boundaries. If the pool is given sufficient "free time" then the drives can reshingle and be ready for the next set of writes."

don't seem to apply to new, fresh, unused drives, with no data on them ... Perhaps this isn't a complete statement of the "tech" and the WD doc expands upon it. Your guess is as good as mine.

So, as I said originally in post #4 in this thread, "Don’t know if this is a contributor to your current issue or not." with "this" referring to SMR.

I truly hope that you are able to resolve your issues to your satisfaction.

Last edited:

Redcoat

MVP
@titust1, You still haven't shared your hardware infomation as requested in the forum header:

"It's important to remember that hardware information is extremely important when diagnosing problems so please make sure to include this information if you need help troubleshooting a problem. This includes:
  • Motherboard make and model
  • CPU make and model
  • RAM quantity
  • Hard drives, quantity, model numbers, and RAID configuration, including boot drives
  • Hard disk controllers
  • Network cards"
In this particular case it woud be additive if you provided, in code tags, the results of a long smart test on each drive presently in the system - to maximize the benefit of the advice from the members of the forums.

titust1

Explorer
Follow up,
As I mentioned before I had an IronWolf CMR disk last year that became faulty with write errors in Truenas. I replaced it, and used it in Windows without problems.
Now,... because I plan to replace all my SMR disks with CMR disks, I removed the IronWolf CMR disk from my Windows machine, wiped it clean and use it to replace the WD SMR disk that was appearing FAULTED (see above) in the pool.
Guess what... The process went smoothly without glitches and the resilvering ended without errors. My Pool is now Up and healthy.
So, in conclusion: thank you so much for the advise to use CMR drives.
In the future if an SMR drive fails, I'll replace it with an CMR disk until all the pool drives are CMR.
Thanks again

Retired Windows and Solaris SysAdmin / TrueNas Scale and Proxmox user
TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.4.2 - running as a VM in Proxmox PVE/ MTB: Gigabit GA-Z170X-UD5 TH / CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz - 2 cores allocated / Memory:16GB / 1xPool RaidZ 3x4TB disks (2xWD Red, 1xSeagate IronWolf CMR)) / Boot Pool - no redundancy 1x 50GB nvme partition / LSI 9207-8i RAID Controller

Last edited:

titust1

Explorer
One more thing, FYI, it might help other people. My WD Red was purchased in August, so of course Amazon did not accept the return. I called then WD, and explained them the whole story, that I'm using Truenas and WD Red is not compatible. I even sent them the WD Blog article that @Davvo sent. The case was escalated to the second level, I provided them with screenshots of the errors, and I asked if they can send me a Red Plus instead of the WD Red.
They said they can do that, but I should open an advanced warranty return case which will cost me 25$ non-refundable.
I paid that, and they shipped the Red Plus to me prior to return the old drive. Obviously then I should return the WD Red.
If other people are in my situation and their drive is still under warranty, this is a way around