ATX NAS case 2023 (for small home NAS)

LabonSky

Cadet
Hi,

I would like to replace my current case which is NZXT H500.
My NAS:

Mobo: Z390 GAMING X (ATX)
CPU: Intel 9500T (35W TDP)
HDD: Seagate Exos X18 16TB (array) (another one joining soon)
SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB (cache)
PSU: Corsair RM750X (ATX)

I am planning to add another 16TB Exos soon (parity drive) and maybe one more later when I run out of space. So planned config for now is 2x 16TB Exos X18 and 1x Cache SSD.

What I want:
  1. Sound dampening
  • I might have to move to another country soon. I think I'm going to leave the NAS here with my folks. If the sound level is ok enough to stay in a room where people sleep (big room, around 10 meters from the bed), that would be ideal. Otherwise it will be in more or less dusty/humid area (bad for computers). If I take it with me, it's also not guaranteed to have it's own room so the more quietly it operates, the better
2. Some kind of airflow for the drives​
  • there is no AC where the computer would be staying. Ambient temp can get quite hot (around 30C) so direct airflow on drives would great
3. Ease of HDD installation​
  • If something breaks, ideally a person who can operate a screwdriver, will be able to just pop out the drive and put in another. I know it sounds trivial but my parents are not very technical people. I think my father would be able to replace a drive with instructions though if it's unplugging SATA and pulling HDD sled.
I have already done some research and it looks like Fractal R5 or R6 would be ok considering my requirements. I am leaning towards Fractal R5 since the review here https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/build-report-fractal-design-define-r6.74641/ mentions that in R6 the drives are not well spaced and can touch if there is a lot of them. Only thing that annoys me is that it has the 5,25 bays which can be removed to make space for drives but it doesn't look like there can be airflow there. Are there any other ATX competitors in this space?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I am planning to add another 16TB Exos soon (parity drive) and maybe one more later when I run out of space. So planned config for now is 2x 16TB Exos X18 and 1x Cache SSD.
I don't think that's going to work how you think it will...

if you're going to have a mirror, you really need to add another mirror, or not add anything, so 2 drives is the minimum unit to add, not 1.

2. Some kind of airflow for the drives
  • there is no AC where the computer would be staying. Ambient temp can get quite hot (around 30C) so direct airflow on drives would great
With only 4 drives (and starting with 2), you won't need to worry too much about that as you can space them out in the case. Do put in the optional fans in the front of the case so you have airflow forced over the drives though.

somethingweird

Contributor

Are you running planning to run TRUENAS core/scale in the future?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality

somethingweird

Contributor
Missed that... indeed a problem if you want advice from the folks here.

Suggestion - remove OP specs - and post the case question? hehe.

LabonSky

Cadet
I don't think that's going to work how you think it will...

if you're going to have a mirror, you really need to add another mirror, or not add anything, so 2 drives is the minimum unit to add, not 1.

With only 4 drives (and starting with 2), you won't need to worry too much about that as you can space them out in the case. Do put in the optional fans in the front of the case so you have airflow forced over the drives though.
I was thinking the same thing but apparently the data that is stored on Parity drive is just information about the bits that were written on other drives? https://www.reddit.com/r/unRAID/comments/vc8wm2/enlighten_me_about_how_parity_works/ So from what I understand 1 Parity drive should technically be just fine. I am not an expert though.

Missed that... indeed a problem if you want advice from the folks here.
Why would that be a problem though? I am looking for a case for NAS. People here are experts at building NAS systems. Probably the best place in the whole internet to ask since you guys have such pedigree and expertise in the area.

sretalla