ASRock C2550D4I networking problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCDoesTech

Cadet
So to start off with I'm having problems connecting to FreeNAS via the web GUI on my NAS. I've tried setting the EFI and IPMI we settings back to defaults and neither has resolved my FreeNAS connection issue. I've got 2 Ethernet cables one plugged into the IPMI port and one plugged into the LAN 1 port as per the manual's diagram. Both cables appear to be working as I can access the IPMI web interface before booting FreeNAS (ie. in the EFI) and the LAN 1 port has established a link (the activity/link LED is illuminated and even the speed LED is illuminated green), for reference the IPMI port has a link as well.

So when I get into FreeNAS it doesn't auto detect the networking like it did on my previous computer and even when manually entering the desired information such as 10.0.1.100/24 for the IP it doesn't recognise it even after rebooting.

Here is my part list (http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/JCDoesTech/saved/hqRNnQ):

CPU: Integrated with Motherboard
Motherboard: ASRock C2550D4I Mini ITX Atom C2550 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Red 4TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Case: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case
Power Supply: Rosewill 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Any help solving my problem would be greatly appreciated. I can provide more information if needed but I'm not sure what information to provide without knowing what is relevant.

Just as an aside; is it possible to run IPMI and the FreeNAS web GUI over the same physical Ethernet connection? or if I want both do I need to have an Ethernet cable for both?

Edit: Also the IPMI seems to have issues where it stops working in the iKVM Java console but the dashboard abd web GUI continues to work.

Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
So I'll try to tackle this problem.

You should be able to use the LAN1 port (refer to the user manual for which port that is, don't guess) for both IPMI (if the BIOS supports IPMI failover) and FreeNAS, but lets just focus on FreeNAS here, not IPMI.

So with a monitor and keyboard connected to your FreeNAS system, you are saying that you cannot configure the network properly from the console? Please detail the port info on the screen such as if it's "em0" or similar, and what values you are entering. And of course the network info must be correct for the network you are on. As for having an automatic IP address setup, you of course need to have a DHCP server running, normally the router does that.

JCDoesTech

Cadet
So having just booted a fresh install of FreeNAS 9.10-STABLE it says after the menu "No configured interfaces were found. Try to do it manually". Now going into 1) Configure Network Interfaces, it gives me 2 options which are igb0 and igb1. Selecting igb0 which I can only assume is the LAN 1 port as I've found no reference to this name elsewhere; I've said no to resetting the network followed by selecting yes for "Configure interface for DHCP". I've given it the name "NIC" and it has said that saving interface configuration and removing IPv4 default gateway are OK. Proceeding to say no to configuring IPv6 it loads the menu again and says to try an IP. AND IT WORKS. The only thing that has changed since I last tried to get it to work is booting via non-UEFI where as when it was not working I was booting from the UEFI.

I have no idea how this is now working but it is. This has left me even more confused than I was when I started. If anyone else has this problem I am unsure how to solve the problem but try using a fresh copy of 9.10-STABLE with the defaults in the UEFI and IPMI configurations.

I am going to attempt updating FreeNAS to 9.10.1 and see whether it still works. I wil edit this comment with the results.

joeschmuck

Old Man
For my motherboard I have my BIOS setup to only boot from Legacy, not UEFI and things work great for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.